Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

aos replaced still smoke

I replaced my aos on friday, car didnt smoke as much on startup, got on it this morning after driving for 45 minutes @ highway speeds, and a Massive cloud of smoke again. Is it just burning some residual oil that could have been in the system, or should I start looking for motors? It still pulls very very strong (for what it is) so I cant imagine that it needs a motor. I am just mildly concerned.

no loose lines

no cel or coolant lights.

No anything, runs great, just a massive ploom of smoke at the top of second. Felt like it bogged at the shift a little then smoked.

Probably oil still lying around in the exhaust systen, mine was the same for a couple of days but it's fine now.

what is the best way to test the new AOS???

As mentioned by Logray the cap is difficult to remove while the motor is running. Also after removing the oil fill cap the idle will drop and the motor will almost die if the AOS is bad (make sure the motor is warm when you run the test)... If the idle goes up the AOS is probably good.

Edited by Jager

Well, my replacement AOS is faulty!!! its a shame. I am looking at the design and thinking about makeing a replacement from scratch. I think I can pull it off. We will see.

What is your oil level... Is it well above the full mark?

like the first post, I have also been an engineer for a long time. I am currently an engineer for eaton. I am looking at a couple different styles of check valves and the combination of baffles internal to the current aos frame. I am also considering a couple inline aos that are available in the after market. I understand the theory behind the aos and have had cars that I had to design kiys for. I have even looked at pressure activated pumps (i used a pump on my mustang to releive crankcase pressure). I have also wondered what the simple addition of a couple screens would do. I have alot of ideas and much of the equipment to bring them to life.

Sorry if my post is a little broken up, I generally reply from my phone.

Well, my replacement AOS is faulty!!! its a shame. I am looking at the design and thinking about makeing a replacement from scratch. I think I can pull it off. We will see.

What is your oil level... Is it well above the full mark?

Have you had a chance to check your oil level? I wonder too much oil in the motor causes AOS failure??

• Moderators

The oil level should always be at the right level, before starting examination concerns excessive oil consumption/smoke. I would do that first, then do a test drive, the exhaust should be very hot since he is completely contaminated inside with oil residues, and take a look if the smoke is reduced. A bad new AOS is rather exceptional, the cause of the problem may be elsewhere.

The oil level is in the middle. I checked my new j-tube that I replaced at the time of the aos swap, and it was full of oil. The aos diaphram is also completely coated in oil. What else would cause the failure? Excess crank case pressure? The car has absolutely no leaks, I would assume excess crankcase pressure woild cause rms failure, and other leaks elsewhere.