Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Which 996 would you rather own?

machjim

pick a 996 and tell why  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, it would very much depend on if it was a daily drive, or weekend toy, and how I was going to use it. As Loren says, the GT3 is very much more track focussed, the Turbo gives more scope for tuning (if that's your thing) and explosive performance, and the C4S is a great all-rounder. They all drive very differently, so you need to consider your usage, and try all three.

Nice dilemma to have. Enjoy your hunt.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Hi Jim.... In the 996 category, I've owned a '99 C4, and my current, '04 GT3. Put 50K miles on the C4, and have 31K on the GT3. I'm obviously biased, but, that's what you are asking for. The GT3!! It puts a smile on my face every time I start that race bred engine, shift the race bred g'box, and step on those brakes.

Hi Jim.... In the 996 category, I've owned a '99 C4, and my current, '04 GT3. Put 50K miles on the C4, and have 31K on the GT3. I'm obviously biased, but, that's what you are asking for. The GT3!! It puts a smile on my face every time I start that race bred engine, shift the race bred g'box, and step on those brakes.

I am also looking at these cars and I do believe GT3 is the most performance orientated.

That car is scarry fast on straights and very sharp with braking. Not a winter car :-)

Definitely decide what you need as well as what you think you want.

I am also looking at these cars and I do believe GT3 is the most performance orientated.

That car is scarry fast on straights and very sharp with braking. Not a winter car :-)

Great info gents..Thanks..My current Boxster isnt a daily driver, Its more of a weekend toy all from spring to fall and I love the top down days any day of the week.....So the upgrade would be about the same..As much as I would like to, I dont race road events..Im more of a drag guy with the old Mopars I own..

So being said the upgrade to a 996 fell within the three cars I posted...I love the GT3 AND the Turbo...I think the GT3 will get the nod and from what I have researched I have been told not to buy ANY 996 or 997 unless the RMS has been repaired...Is there truth in this??

Great info gents..Thanks..My current Boxster isnt a daily driver, Its more of a weekend toy all from spring to fall and I love the top down days any day of the week.....So the upgrade would be about the same..As much as I would like to, I dont race road events..Im more of a drag guy with the old Mopars I own..

So being said the upgrade to a 996 fell within the three cars I posted...I love the GT3 AND the Turbo...I think the GT3 will get the nod and from what I have researched I have been told not to buy ANY 996 or 997 unless the RMS has been repaired...Is there truth in this??

My current Porsche...

post-72960-0-65344200-1315364341_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Rms is not a problem on the gt3 gt2 and turbo cars as they have a different motor to 3.4 and 3.6 n/a cars. The problem is more in the 3.4. And by now the issue would have raised its ugly head by now.

I have had 3.4 c2 cab and now 04 turbo. Chalk and cheese. The only thing the c2 was better at was initial turn in. But I am slowly getting the turbo close to it. If you don't do track work don't get a track car.

Gt3 / gt2 for tracking and rallies.

Turbo for road and the odd track day.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree... I ended up with both the Turbo Cab (04) and a GT3 for DE/TT, etc. The two cars couldn't be any more different. That being said, there are far fewer 996 GT3s around than turbos and if you look you can find early Turbos for under 40 grand. Hard to beat that level of bang for the buck. Then again, a GT3 at 8,000 RPM sounds unlike anything else. Whichever of the three you choose, you won't be disappointed. I think that Loren would agree that a thorough service history and good PPI are important in the process. Just because the "GT1" engine doesn't have the RMS issue, the coolant line fittings can fail where they are epoxied into the block. Big $$$ if it isn't under warranty. Happened on my Turbo Cab but wasn't catastrophic and no issues since. Not to scare you, just information so you can weigh everything as you look. Best of luck!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Epoxy is on the turbo engine not GT3

If only, unfortunatly for GT3 this is a very large and real issue, many circuits won't even let a gt3 on if the hose fitting haven't been welded, deffo

needs looking into with these engines.

If only, unfortunatly for GT3 this is a very large and real issue, many circuits won't even let a gt3 on if the hose fitting haven't been welded, deffo

needs looking into with these engines.

Bobsan,

I did not know that.. Thanks for the info!

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I've had a 2003 tt & currently an '05 GT3. They are very different but both great cars. TT is easily modded for more power, GT3 handles great but has no PSM etc. so it can bite you.

They share the same block so the epoxy fittings are present in both cars. You have to decide if that's an issue.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Owned a 996 2002 Boxster, which had a RMS problem so i traded it in for a 2004 Carrera Cab, which I loved. Then in 2006 I saw a GT3 in a lot (an 04), given up by a guy who thought it would be a good daily driver. Well, I let the GF drive the Carrera and I got the GT3. I have Since got rid of the GF and the Carrera, but the GT3, never. After I drove the GT3, i never drove the carrera again. I use it as a daily driver (in the short summer months) and in the past i tracked it. I have never driven a TT but i can't imagine it's more fun than driving a GT3.

• 4 weeks later...

The GT3 and TT both use the Mezger GT1 engine. Modified from an air cooled block with liquid cooled cylinder jackets. No liquid cooling ports/channels in the block mean the liquid is circulated external to the block and those lines are held to the block with adhesive. The GT3 motor has different internals: Lightened Crankshaft, Titanium connecting rods, lightened valve train, etc to reduce rotating mass. The Turbo motor (obviously) has the additional plumbing, turbochargers and intercoolers, but not the lightened internals.

• 1 year later...

It may be too late to respond . Nevertheless, there is, at least for me, only one choice, and that is 996 GT3. 996 turbo is a great car, and undervalued (still a Mezger engine) but it is not as entertaining, fun to drive and challenging as GT3. I have owned mine (2005) for almost 8 years now.  Regrettably, I have to sell it because I am getting a 991 GT3 this month and don't have space to keep it.