Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

crank position sensor removal

Guys,

Need to replace the crank position sensor on my 86 944. Problem is that when pulling it out, we hit the engine and there isn't room to get it fully out of the slot. Is there some trick to removing this little bugger? We get it about 80% of the way out before hitting the engine block.

Thoughts?

Appreciated y'all!

Tony

86 944s racecar

02 996 turbo

06 Cayenne S

yep...that's what it should do...but when removing the sensor itself, it comes out approx 80% of the way, then hits the the edge of the top of the engine preventing it from coming up and out. Seems strange to me too, like the hole is rotated for some reason or something. I would think it would be designed to be a clean "up and out" removal. When I get over to the barn where I have it, I'll take a picture. Quite frustrating for what i anticipated was going to be a 5 minute job. ;-)

Tony

It sounds like the assembly housing that holds the crank sensors has been damaged and it bent. The housing is adjustable and perhaps it came adrift and the sensor struck the flywheel causing your issue.

What lead you to replacing the sensor in the first place?

Track day...came off of track, car running fine. Tried to start it for the next session, nada. Looked under hood with some other 944 guys and one noticed fraying on wiring of the sensor. Tried to "hotwire" the wires since the wiring harness plug was right where the frayed wiring was...no good. So, bought a new sensor with the harness figuring I needed to do it anyway for the wiring, at the very least.

So, if I'm reading you correctly, the sensor should come directly up out of it's hole...like straight up. Mine is at an angle. Maybe 70 degrees towards the driver's side rather than 90degrees (straight up). Is that correct? If so, then it sounds like you are spot on and the assembly housing has been rotated for some reason. Interesting that I didn't go off track or anything odd. Thanks for your time with this...it's a bit baffling to me.

Tony

The sensor should pull straight up and out although the housing does sit at a slight angle. If looking from the bell housing side the sensor housing will be at about the 11 o'clock position. I have replace loads of these sensors and never had them hit the engine. I have had them damage from being impacted which has spread the sensor not allowing it to be removed from the housing.

Any chance you can get a pic?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is it looking from the engine back toward the firewall? I have never seen the plastic piece you describe/show on an 86 944 or any other for that matter and I've worked on probably a thousand of them. Also, never seen the bracket and spring before in that location. The oil separator is plastic and on the left rear of the block, but it isn't in the way of removing the sensor. A better pic would help.

Well it's not hitting the engine as you described but something on the bulkhead. I'm not sure what that plastic elbow that it is hitting is for. Is it a protective boot for a wiring harness or a cooling duct. Is it hard plastic or rubber? I can't see why you couldn't gently deflect the rubber piece ( if it is rubber ) and remove the sensor.

I would also inspect the motor mounts to be sure the engine isn't listing to one side and causing this problem.

Edited by wvicary

Thanks...sorry I wasn't clear...it's a hard plastic (can't bend it) piece that appears to be some air intake ductwork piece coming off the top of the engine heading back to the bulkhead. the picture above is from the passenger side looking down at a slight angle.