Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery part no. and O.E.M. spec.?

Hi there!

Do you have battery part no.s and spec.s for a '11 Bi-turbo stop/start vehicle. Local dealer can't seem to contact Porsche to find out. Since I know from previous experience it is probably a Varta brand item and manufactured by Johnson Controls. The dealer was able to tell me that it is an AGM(Absorbant Glass Mat) type internal configuration. After poking around found that Johnson Controls mfg.s this. So imagine it is patented and proprietary.

Johnson Control provided a nice response but could not provide specifications relative to Porsche vehicles other than to state they are used in them.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

isitdav

• Admin

:welcome:

958-611-105-21 Battery 105 AH

You can measure your current battery dimensions for form and fit.

From the 2011 Cayenne Tech Book (available to all Contributing Members here)

"AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology

A 12 V 92 Ah 520 A AGM battery is used in the Cayenne; a 12 V 105 Ah 580 A AGM battery is optionally available for colder regions. The battery is located under the left seat in the direction of travel.

The battery is based on AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology. Special micro glass fiber mats lie between the lead plates of the battery and contain all of the battery acid. The absorbing capacity of the glass fiber mats is designed so that although the acid is completely absorbed by the matting, the degree of saturation of the matting is not reached. The sealed system is equipped with a pressure relief valve for the safe discharge of any gases.

The battery remains leak-proof and dry. Expanding liquid due to frost cannot cause any damage. Furthermore, by packaging the plates in micro glass fiber mats there is virtually no further movement of the plates, which means that vibration has no effect on the battery.

The entire electrolyte is bound by the acid in the matting, which means that there is no need for the maintenance tasks of filling with water and inspecting the electrolyte. AGM batteries are designed with an extremely low internal resistance, resulting in a faster reaction between the acid and the plate material. Higher energy quantities can therefore be produced even in demanding situations such as charging in extreme cold.

Battery replacement must be communicated to the gateway using PIWIS Diagnosis Tester II, specifying the (A) serial number/( B) part number/manufacturer and the battery size under Maintenance/Battery replacement. For charging, a charger with at least 40 A should be connected.

For jump-lead starting, a jump lead should only be connected directly to the external power supply connections in the engine compartment, as otherwise the battery sensor could be damaged and incorrect information (battery charging directly at the battery sensor) forwarded to the gateway.

Battery sensor

The battery sensor is located on the negative terminal of the battery, it is part of the energy management system (battery management). The battery sensor is connected between the negative terminal of the battery and the ground cable.

The purpose of measuring the battery size is to determine the battery condition with sufficient accuracy and to identify closed-circuit current faults in vehicle electrical system diagnosis in production and service.

The following measured variables are measured directly by the sensor

• Battery current

• Battery voltage

• Measurement of the temperature at the negative terminal

The battery current and battery voltage are measured simultaneously"

• Like 1

Thanks for the Welcome!!! :thumbup:

Great information and important regarding battery sensor location. I am surprised that the battery CCA is only rated at 520. Dealers will tell customers that the O.E.M. battery is problematic. So when replacing specify Interstate. The resident vehicle software needs to be reset to the new spec. as U state and must be critical to its operation. The owner's manual on the third gen. vehicle does not even show how to replace it. On the first gen. it did. The assumption must be that it is to complicated for the typical owner. I had to replace one on an '04 Cayenne when it died in my garage. :cursing:

My charger trickle charges and then maintains but it's charge amp rate is much less than you suggest. Unless the tech. has changed a slow rate of charge is still recommended for a better charge. So would like to know more about it if U can provide it.

Am I correct that brand mfg. is Varta?

I will donate.

Best regards,

isitdav

• 6 years later...
On 4/24/2012 at 12:09 PM, Loren said:

:welcome:

958-611-105-21 Battery 105 AH

You can measure your current battery dimensions for form and fit.

From the 2011 Cayenne Tech Book (available to all Contributing Members here)

"AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology

A 12 V 92 Ah 520 A AGM battery is used in the Cayenne; a 12 V 105 Ah 580 A AGM battery is optionally available for colder regions. The battery is located under the left seat in the direction of travel.

The battery is based on AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology. Special micro glass fiber mats lie between the lead plates of the battery and contain all of the battery acid. The absorbing capacity of the glass fiber mats is designed so that although the acid is completely absorbed by the matting, the degree of saturation of the matting is not reached. The sealed system is equipped with a pressure relief valve for the safe discharge of any gases.

The battery remains leak-proof and dry. Expanding liquid due to frost cannot cause any damage. Furthermore, by packaging the plates in micro glass fiber mats there is virtually no further movement of the plates, which means that vibration has no effect on the battery.

The entire electrolyte is bound by the acid in the matting, which means that there is no need for the maintenance tasks of filling with water and inspecting the electrolyte. AGM batteries are designed with an extremely low internal resistance, resulting in a faster reaction between the acid and the plate material. Higher energy quantities can therefore be produced even in demanding situations such as charging in extreme cold.

Battery replacement must be communicated to the gateway using PIWIS Diagnosis Tester II, specifying the (A) serial number/( B) part number/manufacturer and the battery size under Maintenance/Battery replacement. For charging, a charger with at least 40 A should be connected.

For jump-lead starting, a jump lead should only be connected directly to the external power supply connections in the engine compartment, as otherwise the battery sensor could be damaged and incorrect information (battery charging directly at the battery sensor) forwarded to the gateway.

Battery sensor

The battery sensor is located on the negative terminal of the battery, it is part of the energy management system (battery management). The battery sensor is connected between the negative terminal of the battery and the ground cable.

The purpose of measuring the battery size is to determine the battery condition with sufficient accuracy and to identify closed-circuit current faults in vehicle electrical system diagnosis in production and service.

The following measured variables are measured directly by the sensor

• Battery current

• Battery voltage

• Measurement of the temperature at the negative terminal

The battery current and battery voltage are measured simultaneously"

Hey  how are you?

Is this battery coding for cayenne turbo's a real issue?  I have read differing opinions, where some people say its not  required..I am having some issues and the dealer insists that its because I have an aftermarket battery which is not coded for the car, and they want me to install an OEM battery and recode it.  My trusted and regular indy Porsche shop cannot pinpoint the issue with my car, however he doesn't think the battery coding is necessary.  I trust him, but need to get my car sorted...already replaced ignition switch and brake switch, was thinking about the battery relay.  I don't want to spend big bucks on a "Porsche" battery from stealership if its a "scam"..thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Dylan

• Admin
2 hours ago, dylanjl said:

Hey  how are you?

Is this battery coding for cayenne turbo's a real issue?  I have read differing opinions, where some people say its not  required..I am having some issues and the dealer insists that its because I have an aftermarket battery which is not coded for the car, and they want me to install an OEM battery and recode it.  My trusted and regular indy Porsche shop cannot pinpoint the issue with my car, however he doesn't think the battery coding is necessary.  I trust him, but need to get my car sorted...already replaced ignition switch and brake switch, was thinking about the battery relay.  I don't want to spend big bucks on a "Porsche" battery from stealership if its a "scam"..thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Dylan

It is the specs that are important - not the brand or where it is purchased.