Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Visor mirror cover flaps

Anyone have any tips on how to remove or install the cover to the mirror on the visor? Mine broke and fell in my lap when I opened it recently.

The plastic hinge on one side cracked. I Crazy glued it and tried to reinstall it, but the hinged cracked off again- different spot, so it is not the crazy glues' fault.

Any tips on installing this thing, or does any one sell replacements?

Thanks- John

• Upvote 1

The cover on one of my visor vanity mirrors just broke. Assuming I can buy just the cover, does that snap right in? I notice there are pins on each side that fit into holes on the cover. I read all the threads on visor cover issues, but I don't see anything dealing specifically with reinstallation of the replacement cover. Attached are photos of the broken and unbroken side of the inside of my mirror cover.

post-4156-0-72899200-1338759112_thumb.jp

post-4156-0-59660700-1338759131_thumb.jp

Oggie -

I had the same issue last year -- it was only the flap that was broken -- and read that you can buy the visor part from the Boxster and just use the flap. But it seemed like a hack and I wasn't sure if you could get the flap off and then on without breaking those little tabs... so I took Loren's advice and just went ahead and replaced the part with the OEM one. Using that DIY it didn't take much time and if I recall correctly the part was only around $60 from Sunset. Works like a charm now.

Edited by ferrugia

I ordered the "unlighted" mirror flap assembly for under $20 figuring that I'll remove the flap and just use that to replace my broken flap. I'll have to figure out how to (a) remove the new flap from the rest of what comes with it, and (B) install the flap on the "hinges" on my visor. If anyone has any hints, I would greatly appreciate hearing from them.

I did this about a year ago - it's totally the way to go. That said, I don't 100% recall what I did, but I think you pop out the spring clips from the new one to remove the flap, and them just push it in the old one. It tool me about 5 minutes.

Simon

Anyone have any tips on how to remove or install the cover to the mirror on the visor? Mine broke and fell in my lap when I opened it recently.

The plastic hinge on one side cracked. I Crazy glued it and tried to reinstall it, but the hinged cracked off again- different spot, so it is not the crazy glues' fault.

Any tips on installing this thing, or does any one sell replacements?

Thanks- John

Hi John.

Searched all the sites for a replacement cover as one side of mine had snapped off and gone missing entirely. Needless to say no joy, unless you buy the entire mirror and light assembly with it (found on eBay last week). I managed to fashion a new hinge hole from Araldite however, which I shaved down to size with a scalpel, then coloured in with a black marker. At the same time I reinforced the hinge on the other side. I popped the thing bak in by bending very gently in the middle. Went in fine and you can't tell the difference. Took about 30 mins all up, but with plenty time in between letting the glue layers dry. If I were you, I'd use crazy to put the hinges in position, then blob some Araldite at the inside of both hinges (smooth over with a spit-finger!) and you' should be right.....

Here's to your success!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I actually did not have to remove the mirror assembly from my visor. I removed the flap/cover from the part that I bought (986-731-901-00-01C, which as a bonus has no warning sticker). As others have said, this is not at all easy. At one point, I was about ready to just cut the frame (which I didn't need) just to get the cover out. Removing the mirror from the frame allowed me to flex the frame around enough to get the divots in the cover to clear the pins. You don't need to remove the clips. I saved mine in case those break soon.

As someone said on the other thread, getting the cover into the frame that was still in the car was easier because the pins are beveled. However, there is s small plastic tab at the hinge side of the cover which has to go between the copper contact tab (this turns on the lights) and the frame. I hadn't noticed this, so I spent some time trying to slip the copper contact tab to the correct position.

You can buy -- just the flap cover from Sunset --- about $60.00 each. Buy 2 and replace both.

I took my car to a Dealer -- Baker Porsche - Charleston, SC for a freebie check up -- got it back with a broken flap on visor. They tried to glue back together -- did not work. They just said they break all the time and I could order the whole assembly in the Parts Dept.

Last time I set foot in that Dealer.

Easy replacement --- Good Luck.

Chuck

The part number is ----996-731-903-01-01c -- Description -- Vanity Mirror. List ---$78.90 ---- Net ---$66.69.

This is the part you are looking for --- I ordered two and replaced both. Worked perfect. Comes in one color - black.

Chuck -- Myrtle Beach

I am also missing just a lid on one of my visors. Are the lighted and unlighted lids the same?

Yes. See my post above for the part number. You need to buy the unlighted visor mirror which comes with the lid, then detach the lid and use it to replace the broken one on your car like I did.

• Admin

The part number is ----996-731-903-01-01c -- Description -- Vanity Mirror. List ---$78.90 ---- Net ---$66.69.

This is the part you are looking for --- I ordered two and replaced both. Worked perfect. Comes in one color - black.

Chuck -- Myrtle Beach

Okay that is more than the lid - that is the mirror housing - btw the current MSRP is $82.84 (as of July 1, 2012).

I had the same problem with my 2001 C2 Cabriolet and I used the JB Weld putty to fix it. Basically, I placed about 2X's too much putty on the broken visor, then I used my Dremel tool to fabricate/sand the putty to mirror the visor shape and lastly I drilled a hole in the repaired putty after measuring the other side of the visor for proper fitment. Once that was completed I painted the putty to match the visor "Dull Black" and it became a perfect fit. Easy and free to repair. That was 8 months ago and it is still holding tight!

I hope that helps!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I had exactly the same problem on my 2004 Boxster S, both mirror flaps broken on the hinge.  In the end I plastic welded them using black Lego blocks as filler (ABS plastic).  Then reshaped (note the pointed shape to make them lock open and closed) and redrilled hinge hole.  Worked a treat, both flaps work as new now.

20170118_191942.jpg

20170118_195615.jpg

• 2 months later...

HI Guys,

Here is what I did today to resolve the broken passenger vanity mirror door.  My 2000 Boxster S came with the lighted driver and passenger vanity mirrors.  As you would expect the driver side is fine and the passenger side mirror cover is what broke.  No further comment on how that might happen in your car!!!!!  You are going to order the base model vanity mirror assembly for the door portion only.  You will be throwing away the rest of the assembly unless you choose to eliminate the lighted feature and just want the base mirror housing on the passenger side.  Not what I would do.  Your call.

I ordered the needed parts from Sunsetporscheparts.com

Order Content

Part Number

Part Name

Price

Quantity

Total

Order line items

986-731-901-01-01C

Sun-Visor Mirror Hous

$30.77 

(Not Taxable)

$30.77

Order Summary

Subtotal:

$30.77

Shipping (USPS - Priority (2-3 days)):

$6.83

Here are the sequence of steps.

You will need a #30 and  #20 torx driver to remove the visor from the car. 

First step is to, at least partially, open the soft top to remove pressure on the visor mount where the top attaches to the frame.

The electrical connection is on the left side of the passenger visor where you will be using the #20 torx.  

No need to cut any wires if you follow my process.

Once you have the visor out of the car go in the house and get an old butter knife.  You will need this tool to remove the housing from the visor.  Be careful not to damage this portion of the assembly as you will be reusing it.  Look at the new assembly and you will see where the tabs are.  I started on the top side and gently lifted the assembly out of the visor.  You don't want to damage the visor.  Another really expensive part if you have to buy one.

Once you have the vanity out you will see that there is a red and black wire. Be careful not to break the connection.  

The next thing you need to do is to remove the spring clips from your existing housing.  

Now set this aside and get ready to remove the door cover from the part you ordered.

Remove the spring clips from the back.

Find a blow dryer or a heat gun as you will need it to heat up one side of the new assembly to remove the door.  

The pins are pretty tough the door is the weak link.

I heated up the right side of the vanity door so that the plastic had a little more give and removed the door from the assembly by hand.  Don't get to crazy with the heat.  You can always do a little more but if you melt your new door you will be bummed out.  Easy to do with a heat gun.

Once you have the door out you are going to heat up your existing mirror frame a little so that you can install the new door between the pins.  If you soften the frame just a little you can make it fit in between the pins.

Be careful to get the center actuating tab in the right place so that it turns on the light when you open the new mirror door.

Now reinstall the spring clips. Kind of a pain.  Be careful as you do not want to damage the frame or the new door.  I leaned the vanity up right so that I could work on the frame without damaging the wiring.  

Now carefully reinstall the mirror frame into the visor and repeat the reinstall of the visor into the car.  

If all goes well the mirror light will come on when you open the door.

Hope this helps.  I wish I had taken images as I went along.  If I can do it so can you!!!!