Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator Repair Kits - Bearings, Regulator, etc. - Spare Parts Quest

:help:

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can buy alternator repairs kits for the 996 ?

I think the bearing is starting to go on mine, and I like to give it a new lease of life by replacing the bearings, the regulator and brushes/rings etc.

Thanks

Alex.

• Moderators

The voltage regulator is common to VW, Audi, MB, and even some Fords; do not buy a replacement regulator from Porsche, the VW unit (same part numbers) is less than half what Porsche dealers get. Do a search, lots of info on this.

If yours has the declutching front pulley, that is also available from multiple sources.

Hi Jeff, its a 2000 tip, does that help determine if I have a de-clutching front pulley ? I saw lots on the regulator, but nothing popped up on replacing the bearings / slip ring/brushes. Assuming its Bosch, does Bosche sell a repair kit ? Thanks.

• Moderators

The declutching pulley is very obvious when you look at it because it has a really strange looking fastener that attaches it to the alternator (it is a pair of 12 splined shaft and fastener that requires a special tool to undo, costs about $20 online)

016a.jpg

003a.jpg

I can't help you on the bearings or brushes as we send the units that need them to a local alternator rebuild shop and they install them. You might want to check out similar shops near you for parts as they would have the best handle on what is available.

The brushes come with the regulator.

Tiptronic did not come with the sprag clutch on the alternator.

If I were in need of the bearings I would get the # from the bearing and web search or go to my local bearing supplier for replacements.

You can see the brushes on these regulators (All work on our alternators.)

post-30824-0-11148500-1341246232_thumb.j

Edited by fpb111

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...making some progress. I've found out the Bosch alternator P/N 0 124 515 042, written on the back of the unit next to the Porsche P/N 996 603 012 03. Using the Bosch visual identification guide/catalogue I now have the Bosch P/Ns for the regulator and bearings, plus everything else.

Regulator = F 00M 145 350

Front bearing = F 00M 990 410

Rear bearing = F 00M 990 405

I can find the regulator online. But not the bearings. Anyone able to help out ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have the regulator ($40) and front bearing ($30) now. Just need the rear bearing.

Any fellow 996ers in US or Europe able to help me out by checking if the rear bearing (Bosch P/N F 00M 990 405) is available. If so, send me a PM with quote and shipping to (you and then to) Australia, post code 2120, will send you payment via paypal. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 6 years later...
On 8/18/2012 at 12:32 AM, amcleod1 said:

Hi guys, I have the regulator ($40) and front bearing ($30) now. Just need the rear bearing.

Any fellow 996ers in US or Europe able to help me out by checking if the rear bearing (Bosch P/N F 00M 990 405) is available. If so, send me a PM with quote and shipping to (you and then to) Australia, post code 2120, will send you payment via paypal. Thanks in advance for any help.

I know this is an old thread. Just wondering if you end up rebuilding the alternator? How did it turn out?

5 hours ago, Pigsypo said:

I know this is an old thread. Just wondering if you end up rebuilding the alternator? How did it turn out?

I had one rebuilt by a professional alternator shop.  Been working perfectly for two years (25,000 kms).