Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dash dismantle instructs anyone?_old dash leather problem

I did see the post with link to the Pelican site on the instrumnet cluster removal.....easy.

But what I need is removal of the center console piece (where it meets top dash).....as well as air bag face panel. I'll assume the leather spkr surounds s/be easy.

Bottom line is....this is the old problem of the 996/996TT dash leather drying, and losing it's adhesion to the dash below it.....it thesn puckers / bubbles / and eventually shrinks, pulling back from the long defrost vent hole at base of the windshield.

I have a leather guy that feels it's fixable.....but needs to come in from the rear.....hence my need to better understand how these dash parts are held.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've attached the workshop dashboard dismantle/remove/install instructions (this post), as well as other related instructions (next post).

I recently dismantled the dash (steer wheel, instruments, L&R side vents, centre vent, pass air bag, front defroster vents) to find and eliminate a number of creaks and squeaks. Workshop instructions were pretty good overall. My Centre vent area was a little different to the pictures but not hard to work out the differences.

Make sure you have the radio removal tool, and plenty of plastic trim removal tools. Be very careful when prying open all the plastic lugs that snap into the metal clips - take your time on each especially around the defroster vents. Be careful with the drivers airbag contact unit - break a prong and dig deep into you're wallet.

Suggest you also invest in various widths of felt and foam tape as well as teflon tape, for the trim re-install to avoid creating new creaks and squeaks - I was very generous in applying tape where ever I thought two surfaces would come into contact. Check out some of the TSB's on dashboard noises.

Hope this helps.

Pages from 996 Group 7.pdf

As a followup.....removal of the right and left defroster grill apparently is a real challenge. This is the long thin grill at the base of the windshield and to the left & right of the center security node.....and they are held (securely) with clips on their underside.

Anyone with a trick or technique for prying these up.....much appreciated.

Just carefully pry them up - the clips will break and will need to be replaced.

Yep......I'm trying to come upn w/a better tool for that.

Have already tried with the normal compliment of weapons in my bag of tricks......have been cautioned by those who sell the aftermarket CF pieces for up there that the 5 clips under ea. side are fairly snug (ah, yep) and, as you say Loren, may break.

I'll get it....was just trying to not make more work for myself.....if I coud.

Thanks.

good morning - I working the new radio replacement thing right now. My plan was to run copper to the Amp and tie into the factory copper to the speakers there. That being said - i have a C4S CAB. I can not find a sub. Unless it is well hidden. It has a pair in the dash, a pair in the door, and a set that looks like the dash set in the rear. No Sub. I say that because i have identified 5 pairs of speaker wires. ??? A wiring diagram of the BOSE MOST might shed some light - any help in deciphering this?

As a followup.....removal of the right and left defroster grill apparently is a real challenge. This is the long thin grill at the base of the windshield and to the left & right of the center security node.....and they are held (securely) with clips on their underside.

Anyone with a trick or technique for prying these up.....much appreciated.

Yep - removing the windscreen defroster vents/grills was a challenge but can be done without breakage. They're in there tight. I think the real trick is to know exactly where the lugs and mating clips are on the underside of the vent/grille and then pry them out directly vertical ever so carefully with plastic trim removal tools and lots of protection on your precious leather dash. I was replacing painted with leather trim so was lucky to have the leather replacements handy so I knew where they were.

I got them out by working first from the middle prying straight up. When I got stuck around the speaker area, I then came at it from the A-pillar end. Using the trim tools, some I came at 90 degrees to the edge, others parallel.

Needs plenty of patience.