Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello All & Loren :-)

I am at 98k on my 06 997-1 S.

Warranty is up in a few hundred miles and would like some feedback as to the cost of ownership and some advice as to keeping it or not. I expect minor issues, but cannot afford any major failures engine wise.

Really looking for some high mileage 911ers out there to respond. Thanks ALL!!

New items include:

Starter

Alternator

Transmission - Rebuilt Syncro 3 & 4

Water Pump

Clutch @ 60k

:thankyou:

2006 C4S tiptronic 83 KMiles, everyday drive in snow, sun wind and rain ( switzerland)

-Front suspension at 80 KM ( all arms, bushings, domes, damper...)

-Middle cardan shaft replaced at 75KM due to rubber spacer wear

-Tiptronic gearbox ( was singing )

-multifunction nob on steering had to be changed

-IMS sealing ring was leaking and was changed ( not the bearing, just the sealing ring)

-I feel my front CV joints are to be changed

-I have a noise in the back suspension when i brake over bumpy ground and think the top suspension bushing are to be fixed too

-Mufflers are shot and need replacement, I rewelded them myself, the PSE has 2 exhaust pipe per side and they are bound by a metal strap that got loose and was droning, doing that I saw the mufflers are rusted and porous

-My oil pan is leaking and need a new loctite 5900 sealing

All changes have been done under guarantee so far

I pushed for many of these changes to happen , but the car was driving ok, someone else would probably not have noticed

I was often upset with all those things happening but came to the conclusion that if you drive any std car the way you drive a porsche you would not reach 80KM even not talking about other exotic sport car brands

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I've a 2005 C2 with 105k miles, had quite a few issues just lately. Scavenge/ vac pump cover rotted through, rear spring randomly snapped whilst not being used, water pump, alternator, battery and suspected MAF which is a current problem. The Car has full dealer history.

It doesn't get used much due to me working away a lot I don't think this helps.

82k miles, water pump at 79k miles, original clutch, no smoke on start, burns almost no oil. Daily driver. Has developed some sort of random transmission fluid leak, doesn't do it all the time, only if I drive it hard for about an hour, shop cant find it, nobody has any idea what can be leaking, randomly. Has developed some sort of rattle at the back, I think its exhaust related, maybe a heat shield or something, cant pinpoint the sound. The CV joints at the front are starting to bind a bit when I crank the wheel hard to one side while backing up, may be normal, but my last Porsche didn't do this so I dont know. Suspension may need a refresh soon, sounds overly harsh when I drive over bumps or small pot holes, but still handles perfectly. Have a really hard time getting into first gear unless car is completly stopped, and second gear is a pain when its cold. All little annoyances, but nothing I cant live with. Car has been good, and will hopefully last till my next upgrade in a few years (Good Lord willing).

• 5 months later...

Just changed my 996 c2 for a high milage 997.1 c2s 2004. 109K however it has just had a full engine rebuild at 108K and should go quite happily for another 100K.

Car drives fantastically well and feels like it has just rolled out of the factory. One previous owner has kept is in perfect condition as will .... it helps that I've bought the car from one of the most reputable used porsche dealers in the UK RSJSportsCars, who I have to say prepared the car (to a standard porsche delivering new from the factory would be hard pushed to better) and changed anything that would need changing before I took delivery of it which helps no end.

I would consider a 3rd party warranty, there are several in the UK that have a good rep - not sure about the US...

One week in and there is an air con leak that needs the engine out to fix - however RSJsportscars again proving their fantastic service have taken it in under the warranty they give with the car and will do the work at no cost or inconvenience to me. Fantastic service.

BTW engine rebuild was because of bore scoring, which I'm told seems to be quite a common issue with the 997.1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/22/2016 at 5:17 PM, Jason997.1 said:

140k+  miles here. Just got the car!!
Do I get a cookie?

I replaced the coils, plugs, and front shock bumpstops.

Hi, My 997.1 is making rubber noises which I think are coming from the bump stops or whatever that donut is called.  what made you suspect the bumpstops?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 997 2005 carrera. with 93K miles 90k of which are mine.

only issues i've had during time of ownership are. 

1. Failed alternator. ($900 refurb has lasted 40k miles so far)

2. Failed battery twice (florida heat, replacement)

3. Snapped gear select cable

4. Aircon foam disintergrating (did nothing)

5. Cup holder door closure failed

6. Sun visor mirror covers breaking

Rest was wear and tear

New disks and brake pads

Tyres  fronts every 40k rear avery 15 -18 K (had rear camber adjusted to give better life on rears as mostly highway driving)

I just started the car this morning and i think the alternator bearings have just failed.

I have only done the servicing according to the schedule no more frequently.

Edited by red_smeg
correct spelling

• 2 years later...

120,000 mi.Porsche airbag defeat and LATCH system added to front passenger seat for Porsche Junior seat. Added Optima Red battery. Complete front axles L/R, rear CV boots, water pump, thermostat, two sets of MPSS, AOS, two full suspension swaps, Numeric Racing shifter, coolant expansion tank, engine mounts, serpentine belt and all

pulleys, brake fluid, pads and discs, power steering fluid, gear oil change. Both cats and O2 sensors, Borla exhaust then Fabspeed. New Momo 69 steering wheel and quick detach. Many minor cosmetic interior/exterior items. PO replaced clutch at 78k, alternator, and wiring to starter. 

Needs new swaybar links in front any minute now......

BFC69F96-428E-4D18-AF51-AA2E9454E107.jpeg

Edited by ALEV8

Hey Guys -- 133,000 on my 2007 C4S.  Fantastic Daily Driver.  I've done all the CV joints/boots on the front axles, rotors/pads on all four corners, water pump, coolant over-flow tank, plugs/coil packs, and the 1st owner got the clutch done at around 75K.  Co Springs dealer did the wiring harness from the battery to the starter.  I've owned it since then (Dec '13).  It needs a sunroof motor soon.  Really fun to drive.    

IMG_1705.jpg

Edited by Jerry Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an 05 911 997 with 144000, but it was a well taken care of car, basically at 128000 they did the clutch, starter, rear main seal, clutch slave cylinder, runs great till now....I have a message on my dash with a code C1  27 front control module, car runs great, and everything works so I don't know what it could be

I get that front module and even rear module fault sometimes, and it’s always voltage related. Keep a trickle charger on a fresh battery and that stuff won’t bug you. 12.6v or less is a dead battery. I think my car might have a parasitic drain but I barely drive the car even as a DD......nowhere near 20 mi/day I’ve heard you should drive to maintain a full charge. As my car sits now it shows 11.8v!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...