Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering angle sensor problems Please help

HI,

I read all treads and I didn't find the right answer for me. So here is my problem.

I have Cayenne S 2004, with steering angle sensor problems. So PSM is not working now.

I read the faults and the only one is:

0778 Steering angle sensor No signal/Comunication Present.

I make test with diagnostic, and there is no CAN communication with that sensor.

So I bay new sensor, change it and no difference. The actual value is always 0 degrees. I also check all CAN wires from PSM unit to steering column, and gateway, and is all fine.

Can please someone help me, coz I don't know what to do to repair this problem.

Could be the problem in steering column electric unit?

I know, that sensor has to be calibrated, but fist the system has to communicate with it and give same values, than has to be calibrated.

Is that right?

Please for some help.

Thank you

Gasper

Did you initialise the sensor when you fitted it? I don't know if it will help your problem, but it is so easy to do that it is worth a try:

1. Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.

2. Start engine.

3. From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the left and 20° to the right (past straight-ahead position).

4. Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed of over 4 km/h (2.5 mph).

Following successful initialisation, the stored fault code is set to "Not present". The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Did you initialise the sensor when you fitted it? I don't know if it will help your problem, but it is so easy to do that it is worth a try:

1. Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.

2. Start engine.

3. From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the left and 20° to the right (past straight-ahead position).

4. Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed of over 4 km/h (2.5 mph).

Following successful initialisation, the stored fault code is set to "Not present". The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Thank you for answer.

Yes I already done that but no success.

The strange thing is, why I can't see any angle position with diagnostic, When I turning the steering wheel, the angle posittion is always on 0.

I really don't know what to do.

I love that car, but this drive me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

The sensor or one of the connections.

You should double check it with a Porsche PIWIS tester.

It was checked with Porsche piwis tester.

Today I make another test. I took out complete steering angle sensor with steering column electric unit, and test it in friends Audi. I connect it and the esp lite come on. Than I initialize sensor an then I make adaptation, and esp lite went off and error code steering angle sensor disappeared without clearing the codes. So Steering column electric unit and steering angle sensor are OK.

When the mechanic try to make adaptation for steering angle sensor, there is always no signal/communication.

Then I tested wires with ohm meter. I measure CAN DRIVE High and CAN DRIVE Low:

-from ABS unit to steering column unit OK

-from ABS unit to instrument cluster (gateway) OK

-from Instrument cluster to steering column OK

Then I connect tester again and enter in Gateway. Here I can test all CAN communication. Again everything OK except Steering angle sensor no signal/communication

I really don't know know what else to do, or what else to change.

I'm really grateful for any help.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Service manual on web. But I don't know if there is some other document or diagram for CHECKING INSTRUCTIONS/CAN DATA BUS .

The steering column electric modul have power, and I believe there is no other power suply for steering angle sensor.

Also all switches on steering column works fine except cruise control, which I believe is not working because PSM is not working.

The also all the sterring wheel butoms works fine. And also the tiptronic butoms are working which I think they are comunicate thru CAN Drive like Steering angle sensor.

I have check fuse many thimes and they are all good.

What a mistery....

Hi gbratik,

Here is the step by step instructions on how to fix this problem.

FAULT CODE 0778

STEERING-ANGLE SENSOR

CAUTION: The steering-angle sensor must always be initialized 'control lamp on'

whenever the battery terminal is disconnected.

Diagnostic conditions

 Ignition on

 Internal level control module function test

Possible cause of fault

 Initialization/calibration not performed (no display/no or incorrect basic setting/adaptation)

 Mechanical fault

 The signal received from the control module (level control) via the CAN drive does not correspond to the

expected signal (implausible signal)

 CAN drive faulty (no signal/communication)

 Steering-angle sensor faulty

Affected pins

Level control module, plug A:

 Pin 61 'CAN drive (high)'

 Pin 81 'CAN drive (low)'

DIAGNOSIS/TROUBLESHOOTING

Initializing

The steering-angle sensor in Cayenne must be initialized after the following work is carried out:

 Whenever the power supply is interrupted (NRA control lamp on).

 The steering-angle sensor must be calibrated after all work on the running gear.

NOTE: Calibration of the steering-angle sensor must be performed on a measuring platform. First, the level control module must be coded successfully and the

steering-angle sensor must be initialized. The steering-angle sensor must be

calibrated after work has been carried out on the running gear in the area of the

front axle.

DIAGNOSIS/TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE

1. Initialize steering-angle sensor

 Switch on ignition.

 Position wheels straight ahead.

 From the straight-ahead position, turn the steering wheel approx. '15°' to the left and '15°' to the right (past the straight-ahead position).

 Drive the vehicle straight ahead at a speed of '> 4 km/h for at least 1 second

IF DISPLAY OK After successful initialization, the stored fault code is erased from the fault memory and the NRA control lamp goes out.

IF NOT OK go to step 2

2. Check steeringangle sensor calibration using 9588 Porsche System Tester II

 Running gear set according to Porsche specifications.

 Wheels in straight-ahead position and steering wheel horizontal.

 Steering wheel may be turned by max. '± 2.0°' from the horizontal position for driving straight ahead.

IF DISPLAY OK After successful calibration, the stored fault code is erased from the fault memory.

IF NOT OK go to step 3

3. Mechanical fault

Examine moving parts for damage and check mobility.

IF DISPLAY OK go to step 4

IF NOT OK The steering-angle sensor is integrated into the steering column switch and must be replaced along with this if its functionality is mechanically impaired.

4. Read out steering column switch control module, fault memory and check circuit for short or open circuit

 Eliminate faults in accordance with 'Diagnosis/troubleshooting' for steering column switch control module.

If electric circuit is OK go to Step 5

IF NOT OK Repair wiring harness circuit.

5. Check CAN drive

Localize faults in accordance with CHECKING INSTRUCTIONS/CAN DATABUS

If CAN drive is OK go to step 6

IF NOT OK repair wiring harness.

6. Replace steering-angle sensor

The steering-angle sensor can only be replaced together with the steering column switch.

IF NOT OK go to step 7

7. Replace level control module

That`s it.

Hope it will help.

Edited by Farhad12345

This is unbelievable!

There was missing fuse 53 (5A)in left dash fuse box! So the steering column electric module have only constant power and there was no power at ignition (pin 13- did not get any power supply).

I can't believe that they didn't notice that in Porsche garage...

But still, there is a question why was that fuse pulled out and not putted back???!! I think, I'll never know that.

Now the cruise control is working without any problems.

If I check CAN communication with steering angle sensor is also OK

But if I try to initialize sensor nothing happens. The PSM light is still on.

If I check steering angle position is always 0 degrees, no matter how I turn the wheel.

So is these because I didn't make calibration with PIWIS yet? Or will I have to see some other value, maybe out of range or something?

I'm am afraid that I still have some other problem.

I'll like to know if is that normal that I have 0 degrees, because I didn't make calibration with PIWIS yet?

The nearest porsche garage is more than our away from me, so I like to know if I can check something else before I go there.

Thank you

Is this a new truck for you? I'm also wondering why the fuse was out.. You might check under the carpeting for water. On the right side (starboard) there are some large bundles of wires that pass through the floor area. That may also be the case on the left side. And if you have access to a PIWIS it's certainly worth doing the procedure outlined above before throwing more parts at it.

Problem solved! FINALY

Today I was in Porsche service where they calibrated Steering angle sensor, and everything works fine now PSM, Air suspension, side lights....

I rely am happy.

Many thanks everyone for helping me!

Now will be the next thing to solve Transmission Valve body.

Is this a new truck for you? I'm also wondering why the fuse was out.. You might check under the carpeting for water. On the right side (starboard) there are some large bundles of wires that pass through the floor area. That may also be the case on the left side. And if you have access to a PIWIS it's certainly worth doing the procedure outlined above before throwing more parts at it.

Jes this is new truck for me. I have it few months.

You are right! There ware some strange things under right carpet. I have to repair one CAN-comfort wire there. Probably was problem some chemical cleaning or something.

• 1 month later...

After I replaced my battery, I had the steering angle sensor error and it did not go away after reset of faults via software.

I turned the car on, backed out of driveway and started driving, which almost immediately corrected the error and it disappeared from the cluster.

Again, I had this after batt. replace, but just in case someone looks, it may help others.

• 4 years later...

Hi all....

With respect.. I m a guy living n working in dubai i have a same issue... N i tried everything on my cayenne s 2004.... Sometimes the psm abs stearing angle sensor n airbag light vanishes... But if u drive some feets the lights appears and there is no communication with psm module stearing angle sensor airbag module height level module... I have maxisys ms906... N in engine settings it shows the codes are no communication with above all mentioned modules

Sorry if u dont like my intruption or behaviour... Coz i am not that,fluent in english...  Yr help will mean so valueable to me

On 04/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, Alibenson420 said:

N one more thing... I observed the gears are not shifting n speed o meter guage s not working... This all happened after replacing battery... I checked all fuses n supplies if any person went through same problem kindly guide... I am really pissed 

Go see Chad at Motor MEC in Al Quoz and get him to recode the steering angle sensor with his PIWIS tester.  Seems the 2004 model year is a pain in the *** for disconnecting battery issue after. 

I disconnected my battery on 2006ctt about 30times in a year and only had to drive forward a few meters and all dash lights went off. No fault codes remained. 

Screenshot_20171205-230743.png