Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bentley Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual (996) - Book Review

• Admin

I bought the Porsche factory manuals (all 17 volumes in 3-ring binders) in 2000 for about $600. I then spend about $100/year each for the next 6 years to get updates. My factory manuals ended up about costing $1200. Porsche stopped printing manuals a few years ago and the set was well over $1200 at that time.

That does not really cover everything - you also need the OBD II manuals for DME 5.2.2. DME 7.2, and DME 7.8 depending on your model year. When I bought my OBD II manuals (again in 2000) they were about $200 each. So to cover all models it cost me about $600. Porsche also stopped printing these manuals a few years ago and at the time each was over $800.

So all totaled I likely spent over $2000 for the factory service and OBD II manuals for the 996.

For $138 (on Amazon) you get the Bentley Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual (996) hardbound manual with photos that the factory manuals don't have - and from I can see so far 99% of the information that is in the factory manuals. BOTH service manuals and OBD II manuals.

The manual layout is excellent logically each section from General Information and Maintenance to Wiring Diagrams and OBD II. Roughly 11 sections with great detail and photos the factory manuals never had. 1024 pages (and over 7.6 pounds) the manual is well composed and covers even some of the more tricky tasks. The photos are certainly worth a thousand words many times over.

Clear, concise, detailed and from what I can see complete - this IS the service manual to have if you own or work on the 996 series cars. I highly recommend it.

Updates and Videos can be found here

Here are a few photos I took of the book..

post-1-0-66653700-1351703406_thumb.jpg post-1-0-06369500-1351703412_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-29947900-1351703417_thumb.jpg post-1-0-18980200-1351703421_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-49564200-1351703425_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 2

Fantastic write-up, Loren. I also ordered the manual ... looked other places and Amazon was the cheapest by far (most other places want $200 or more for the same book). Great value in my opinion, even if you're not doing the work on your own car. I'm only a hobby mechanic but, as a frame of reference, the cost of this book is about the same as 1 hr of labor at most Porsche shops. This should make it a lot easier for me to talk to a trained professional and to generally understand my car better.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes you think Wayne's book will be cheaper? Private sellers are offering it for $119 shipped on Amazon. Paying $150-200 for books in undergrad and grad school is common practice these days, especially for quantitative/engineering books....like it or not. The Bentley Manual is a hardback, has lots of color pics, and contains a ton of information.

What makes you think Wayne's book will be cheaper? Private sellers are offering it for $119 shipped on Amazon. Paying $150-200 for books in undergrad and grad school is common practice these days, especially for quantitative/engineering books....like it or not. The Bentley Manual is a hardback, has lots of color pics, and contains a ton of information.

The fact that the 101 Boxster book is way cheaper: http://www.amazon.co...rds=101 boxster I feel it is unlikely I will use most of the info in the Bentley book. If I ever need anything not covered in the Pelican book, the Bentley will still be there to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I came here looking to start a thread on this book and here it is, excellent!

Unfortunately, it looks like the electrical schematics are the same ones as in the factory manual, correct? If so I guess they don't cover rain sensing wipers? I'm doing a bit of replacement work (the factory AWS12 system is TERRIBLE), but need better schematics to simplify the job. Does anyone mind looking up wipers in the manual and see what's covered? I'd be happy to buy the book if the information I need is in there.

• Admin

I came here looking to start a thread on this book and here it is, excellent!

Unfortunately, it looks like the electrical schematics are the same ones as in the factory manual, correct? If so I guess they don't cover rain sensing wipers? I'm doing a bit of replacement work (the factory AWS12 system is TERRIBLE), but need better schematics to simplify the job. Does anyone mind looking up wipers in the manual and see what's covered? I'd be happy to buy the book if the information I need is in there.

Yes, they are likely very close if not exactly the same as the factory.

Rain sensing is done with the rain sensor and one relay that replaces the intermittent wiper relay.

The rain sensor did not make to a wiring diagram until MY02 - but I think it is basically the same unit for all model years.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1999/2005 Bentley Manual arrived from Amazon today. All I can say is Wow. A quick thumbing through seems to indicate that this is a heck of a manual. Certainly the nicest workshop manual I have seen.

I don't have any project's planned right now, but this manual looks like it will make it clear and straightforward when I do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I know this is the 996 section, but I am curious if Bentley is planning to publish a manual for the 997 or if there is enough similarity that the 996 manual would be good starter for maintenance on 997.2. Please be gentle on me. This post is my first.

:welcome:

The 997.2 is a very different design - engine, transmission, and much of the running gear. So I do not think a 996 manual would do much good.

If you look at how long it takes to put together a technical manual of that quality I don't think I would expect to see one for several years.

Basics like oil changes, and brake pads, etc. are pretty standard but hopefully some owners (and shop owners) will post so DIY Tutorials for those items in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received this service manual.This quote might help you in deciding if you really need it or not..."Although the do-it-yourself Porsche owner will find this manual indispensable as a source ofdetailed maintenance and repair information, the Porsche owner who has no intention of working onhis or her car will find that reading and owning this manual makes it possible to discuss repairsmore intelligently with a professional technician."I have Chilton's and Haynes from yesteryear and looking at this manual, I am amazed at all the electrical supervision, interogation and circuit management that goes on in the modern automobile.This book and the feedback on the DIY's here at this site for the most part is all I need to keepthe P-car repaired. It is always a challenge to fix something for the first time. After that, when you have to remove and replace something again, it is easy.This manual explains in a way that they realize you are going into a repair or maintenance job for the first time.

• Moderators

Does anybody know if the Bentley has a good explanation for replacing the steering rack? Mine is leaking and would like to replace myself with a rebuilt unit if possible.

They dedicate a couple pages with color photos, basic steps, and torque specs on the subject (48-10 and 48-11)

• 1 month later...