Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayenne Tire Replacement

I ordered my 04TT with the Continental 255/55 R 18 4x4 Contact All-Seasons for the versatile tread design and the better ride characteristics of the taller sidewall. They run great. Smooth and quiet with no vibration at any speed and even wear at all 4 corners. My driving style is "spirited" but the tires have not been excessively abused. At 14k, I am down to a little less than 5/32. That's 3/32 from the wear bars or about 5k miles more. At 4/32, resistance to hydroplaning is greatly diminished for highway speeds so for safety sake, I should replace them at 15k. That's one set of tires per year. I see that Porsche now offers the Pirelli Scorpion Zero as an All-Season OE alternative for the Cayenne as well as the Continental 4x4 SportContact which is the Summer tire version. I'm happy with the Continental All-Seasons but I would like to get more miles between replacements. I'm not going off-road and I'm going to try to stay out of the snow so I could switch to the Conti Summer tire if there is an advantage. Does anybody have any info or comparison data on these 3 tires?

I have been seeing reports of similar mileage on all Porsche approved tires, about 15k, sometimes less but not much more. I have been using the 18" Continental Contact as well and think this is a good tire. I suggest you continue with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm naive (my first SUV), but I was surprised to read these reports. I guess I expected to see something closer to the normal mileage I get from good quality tires on other vehicles I've owned. I've got less than 9,000 miles on my Cayenne and really haven't paid much attention to tires other than heeding the occasional whine from the tire pressure monitoring system.

Are these short tire lives due to softer compounds used to improve ride quality, enhance grip, etc.??

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, why is it that the tires on Cayenne's only last for 12-15k miles? My wife's Saab convertible is not quite in the same class but I drive that hard and we got over 25k miles on her tires. I've heard "this car eats tires" but I really dont get why especially considering there is no spin.

I think the previous post says it all:

Are these short tire lives due to softer compounds used to improve ride quality, enhance grip, etc.??

Yes.

The "N" spec, Porsche approved tires have special rubber compound developed just for Porsche. Loren is saying that these special, soft rubber compound tires may ride better and have better grip than other tires but they also have a shorter life.

I agree with GM Austin, its all a trade off. When you buy a Cayenne you are buying an "SUV", but its mainly a Porsche so performance is the key parameter iwhen designing the tires not longevity.

No way you can compare a Saab with something that weighs as much as the Cayenne, thats too funny.

Even on my old Mercedes ML the best I got was 21k, so 15 on my S is ok when you compare the performance differences.

I think the previous post says it all:

Yes.

The "N" spec, Porsche approved tires have special rubber compound developed just for Porsche. Loren is saying that these special, soft rubber compound tires may ride better and have better grip than other tires but they also have a shorter life.

• 3 weeks later...

I am certainly interested in seeing this thread continue... we would all certainly benefit from hearing from owners who have replaced their tires, with what, and a description of their experiences with their Cayenne's new shoes.

I didnt buy the Porsche recommended tire, cause I couldnt find a tire rated high on snow,dry,wet etc. I bought the Geolander HT-S G052 255/55 18 M+S, it's amazing i'm close to 14 K miles, no sign of wear, 11K miles on my V6 and 3 K miles on my new S. I chose this over the Pirelli Ice and snow, higher rated on dry pavement and a true all season tire. I was looking for an XL,V rated tire when I bought my CS but I still see no comparison, Cayenne owners rated the Continental M+S poorly, I've been to tahoe 8 times on this Yokohama , 3 snow storms, it's awesome. The time I purchased these I was looking for a year round tire that's safe for my ski trips, I found it. :thumbup:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...ar+H%2FT-S+G052

Edited by alex911s

I went with Bridgestone Deuler Alenza's, they are one step down (H) from the speed ratings of the conti-sport contacts 4x4, but have better traction and are very quiet and free of vibration.

• 1 month later...

My 04 TT is still wearing the original 255/55R18 109V Conti 4x4 Contact All-Seasons at almost 18k with about 4/32" remaining. That's 2/32" off the wear bars so I have to make a change soon. I've scoured the web for info that may help to decide which tire to use as a replacement.

The first choice is whether to stick with all-seasons or go to a summer tire. I was concerned when I went to the Porsche web site and found that the all season tires are no longer offered as an option for the 2005 Turbo with 18" wheels, although it is still available for the S and Cayenne. PCNA said that, because of the rated 180 mph top speed of the Turbo, they could not offer the V speed rated all season tires which are rated for up to 149 mph. That should not be an issue for those of us who can not cruise at sustained speeds in excess of 149 mph. The advantage of using a V rated tire instead of a Y rated is better ride and longer treadlife. Some people have used H rated tires and say they are getting better tread wear but they are sacrificing performance characteristics and the tire strength needed for a nearly 6000 lb vehicle.

I have found that the all season tire has the advantage of better wet road traction, hydroplaning resistance, longer tread wear, and of course, better traction in light snow conditions. Some people complain about poor performance in deep snow but that is to be expected. An all season tire is by no means a snow tire. Many people have been deceived into thinking they should perform just as well and that is far from the truth.

The summer tire has the advantage of better highway stability and better dry traction in cornering, but these advantages only manifest themselves at very high speeds and extreme maneuvers. For the kind of driving that most of us do (even us spirited drivers) the differences in handling will be negligable. The all season tire is supposed to be noisier but I have not found noise to be an issue at all with the Conti's.

It seems that most of the advantages point to continuing with the all seasons. Even the 18k tread life, which I wasn't happy with when I started this thread, I now realize is pretty good for a high performance tire on a very heavy high performance car.

As to which brand to choose, I have learned about the significance of the Porsche N-Specification assigned to some tires. N-Spec'd tires are the result of a joint engineering effort between the tire manufacturer and Porsche. The tires are designed and manufactured to Porsche standards to meet Porsche handling, safety and performance characteristics and that are specific to a particular car. PCNA said that, although a car owner can choose any replacement tire that they want, and there are a number of respectable choices, Porsche owners would be getting the best tire to match their car's performance by staying with the N-Specification tires.

So it looks like I might stick with the Continental 4x4 Contact All-Season. They actually have treated me very well. The Pirelli Scorpion Zero is also a N-Spec'd all season tire, but reviews indicate that tread wear is not so good and it is somewhat noisy. That might be because of it's aggressive tread pattern. Tire Rack has a lot of reviews for the Conti 4x4 Contact and the overall rating shows up a not so good. When you use the filter to look at reviews from Cayenne and Tourag owners, which are the only reviews that are relevent, the overall results are very positive.

Edited by LenO

Excellent post LenO! I agree about the Continental Contact, it is an excellent tire for the Cayenne with good performance under a wide variety of conditions. I might add that I have used this tire off-road successfully as well. It has been very durable for me on rocky terrain on many occasions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just replaced my Pirelli Zero Rosso's with the Yoko Geolander 255/55 18's.

My first impression is very favorable. They are actually quieter and provide a little softer ride. I was able to get 4 for $650 locally which includes lifetime rote and balance for free and a 60,000 mile tread warranty.

What did I give up? So far it is a bit of that sports car feel. I do not stick to the circular freeway entrance ramps quite as well.

Overall very happy.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I had Continentals on my 19" wheels and managed to get 37,00kms from them. They were absolutely terrible on sand driving. I have now changed to Yokohama ADVAN ST and they are just awesome. On road performance is fantastic and on Sand they are unbeateable with their aggresive tread pattern. The Outer edge has a much greater tread depth than the continentals so I reckon I will get 50,000kms out of these.

what size 19's do you have 275/45/19 becasue can't find size on yokohama size advan ST model line up> can?

The Continentals originally were the 275/45/19 - however the Yokos are now 285/45/19. The extra width looks a bit better too and fills the rim perfectly. No speedo calibration affected by this change either as it is within limits and apparently the Cayenne automatically calculates any change in rolling diameter via the GPS system which is interfaced to the speedo.

what size 19's do you have 275/45/19 becasue can't find size on yokohama size advan ST model line up> can?

The Continentals originally were the 275/45/19 - however the Yokos are now 285/45/19. The extra width looks a bit better too and fills the rim perfectly. No speedo calibration affected by this change either as it is within limits and apparently the Cayenne automatically calculates any change in rolling diameter via the GPS system which is interfaced to the speedo.

**** great ideal should of thought that before i put these 275-45-19 toyo proxes ST only rate 280 A, A..but only cost me $187.00 each. great cost for the money so far 50miles and going good, got 17k on my oem pireiil rosso. will see at these baby.

• 3 months later...

Summer tires: I just put on Toyo Proxes S/T(20")...SWEET! The ride is way better than the Diamaris I replaced(not as harsh...same handling). Got 'em at onlinetires.com $690.00 delivered and had them balanced and mounted $125.00= $815.00 compared to Diamaris at $1525.00. I'll spend the $710.00 difference on something fun! The tires aren't N rated but they're extra duty and W speed rated. I don't drive faster than 159 mph :rolleyes: . Sweet looking, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Summer tires: I just put on Toyo Proxes S/T(20")...SWEET! The ride is way better than the Diamaris I replaced(not as harsh...same handling). Got 'em at onlinetires.com $690.00 delivered and had them balanced and mounted $125.00= $815.00 compared to Diamaris at $1525.00. I'll spend the $710.00 difference on something fun! The tires aren't N rated but they're extra duty and W speed rated. I don't drive faster than 159 mph :rolleyes: . Sweet looking, too.

Can you post pictures? I'm liking the price tag :D Say what about the dreaded vibration you hear about :huh: I live in Texas so I'm not too concerned about ice, snow, and lately rain :angry:

• 9 years later...

I purchased an 06 Turbo last May 2015 that has Yoko Parada Spec X 275/45 R20 110v s. I have put 8800 miles on the truck since last May and have no idea how old the tire are. The front tires look a little rough with 25% or less tread and the rears look fine with 50% tread left. The truck rides great, smooth as glass and no noise! I do not drive the car hard at all so can not comment much on fast curve performance. I just looked at Tirerack where a set of same Make Model 275/40R20 106V XL are $156 a piece or $650 for 4 

Please note my turbo has /45 110v rather than /40 106v i found on the TR website.

Edit to response, I just called Tirerack and they do have the same Yoko Parada Spec X 275/45 R20 110v at an even better price $146 each.  A nice guy named Troy provided assistance, x4651.

Best,

B

Edited by butcher