Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi guys,

I did a quick search & couldn't find anything on this specifically. My '01 Boxster started fine today but started smoking out of the tailpipe. I unscrewed the oil cap at idle & it came off easy with barely any change in idle. I did pull a P0420 & P0430 a few days ago.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

It was hard to tell in the dark what color, I will check it tomorrow but it smelled more petroleum than coolant in nature. It could be oil, when I replaced the starter a few months ago I noted a bit of oil in the TB & intake pipes. I have also noticed the coolant going a bit low in the tank, but again this smelled more petroleum than a coolant smell.

• Admin

From the Help section...

"To start, press Click to Attach Files. A box will appear for you to select the file or files on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file or files you want to upload. You can select more than one file at a time by holding Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) and click on the files.Once you have selected your files and clicked "Open", they will begin uploading. If there are any errors uploading the files, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachments appear."

From the Help section...

"To start, press Click to Attach Files. A box will appear for you to select the file or files on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file or files you want to upload. You can select more than one file at a time by holding Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) and click on the files.Once you have selected your files and clicked "Open", they will begin uploading. If there are any errors uploading the files, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachments appear."

DOH!! OK here are the pics. Started taking the AOS out, figured since I have one on the shelf I might as well change it. Only issue so far is the pipe the the left side of the engine is being a bear to get released from the AOS & there seems to be a electrical connector bracket preventing the last 1/4" of removal. I'm gonna get some rest & tackle it again in the morning.

post-78310-0-10576400-1357435460_thumb.j

post-78310-0-27188300-1357435462_thumb.j

post-78310-0-56879900-1357435464_thumb.j

post-78310-0-51755600-1357435466_thumb.j

• Moderators

You have a lot of oil in there, which is not a good thing. I would be looking at the AOS, but also checking that the oil scavenging pumps in the heads are working properly, or that the engine is not drastically over filled with oil.

• Moderators

It would be best to start by replacing the AOS and carefully checking the oil level in the engine first as these are more common issues.

The scavenging pumps are mounted on the ends of the cylinder heads, and are self contained units that are driven by the cams. A lot like light bulbs, they either work or they don't. To check them, they have to be removed. Here are what one from an X51 M96 look like for example, you can see the drive tang that runs them:

x51pumprear.JPG

There are two pumps, one each on opposite ends of the engine, and they are removed from the outside of the engine. If you have to get into them, remember that the two are not the same, they are specific to the cylinder head they came out of:

DSC07583.JPG

I would do the AOS, clean out the accumulated oil in the intake system and check the car's oil level before even thinking about the scavenging pumps.

OK, I got the AOS changed (not all that bad of a job) & cleaned and as much of the oil out as I could.

Questions I have so far are:

1. Should I run a can of Techron through to clean the remaining oil film in the intakes?

2. Would a failing AOS trigger the P0420 & P0430 codes?

3. Would the car sitting on jack stands for a few days on the front only cause this?

• Moderators

While Techron never hurts, it will not clean out the intake runners, as the engine is a port injection type, so the fuel enters the intake system right at the intake port. It will however clean off the injector nozzles, so it is not a bad idea.

P0420 and 0430 are three way cat codes for both banks and can be as the result of all the crud in your intake system. Once the AOS is fixed, and the intake systems cleaned out, clear the codes and take the car for a long, highway speeds drive so the cats get good and hot. That should clean them out

Sitting on jack stands, with the suspension hanging (not recommeded by Porsche), can cause issues with the suspension (corrosion on the exposed strut shafts), but will not do much else.

I took the car for a 120 mile cruise yesterday & it ran great. No smoke, great power & best of all no codes. Oil level is the same, 1 segment below the full mark on the gauge, almost to the upper mark on the dipstick as when all this started.

• Moderators

I took the car for a 120 mile cruise yesterday & it ran great. No smoke, great power & best of all no codes. Oil level is the same, 1 segment below the full mark on the gauge, almost to the upper mark on the dipstick as when all this started.

Good, you are back in business.

Good, you are back in business.

Yes. And thank you for all your help & advice.