Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've had my Cayenne diesel for about 1 month and have about 1300 miles on it. Two weeks ago, when starting early in the morning (temp in the low 40's), I turned the ignition to "on" position, wait for "coil/glow plug light" to turn off with foot on brake, and turn key to start - nothing. It won't turn over. Then turn key back to "on" position and try to start again. Still nothing. Next, I remove key and try again - this time it starts.

Now, every morning the 1st cold start attempt is the same - it won't turn over. Then, when I remove key and try again, it starts every time.

I hooked my durametric diagnostic tool to it last night and there were no fault codes.

Anyone had same or similar problem?

I've seen a few colder mornings, but not significantly so. I turn the key all the way every time and have never seen the glow plug light. I just get the "engine starts" message in the MFD and then it will start. The longest I had to wait was about 5 seconds (25-30 degrees out), but I've never had to turn the key multiple times.

We had some cold Norcal weather last week, low 30s and high 20's in the morning. My CD lives outside so I had to wait a few seconds (2-4 maybe) but started up just fine. I have not had to remove the key and re-try the procedure yet. My typical startup procedure is probably the same as most, I insert the key, turn it to ON, wait for the glow plug icon to go out (2-4 sec) and then turn the key to START. On warmer mornings/days, I can turn to START immediately.

By the way, my glow plug icon always disappears after a few seconds.

I'm fairly certain that we've found a solution to the cold starting issue. So here is my theory - on the 1st start or cold start, don't wait for glow plug light to go out before turning the key to start - just turn the key and the "engine starts" message appears in the MFD, and the car starts within 3-5 seconds - but usually immediately. If you wait for the glow plug light to go out on a cold start, the car aborts the starting procedure, and has to be re-initiated be removing the key and starting over.

Even though the glow plug indicator is out the glow plugs are still active and depending on temps could be on for a after glow period of 120 seconds after engine start so it doesn't make sense that what you are experiencing is correct. As it's covered under warranty why not consult the OPC?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my Cayenne diesel for about 1 month and have about 1300 miles on it. Two weeks ago, when starting early in the morning (temp in the low 40's), I turned the ignition to "on" position, wait for "coil/glow plug light" to turn off with foot on brake, and turn key to start - nothing. It won't turn over. Then turn key back to "on" position and try to start again. Still nothing. Next, I remove key and try again - this time it starts.Now, every morning the 1st cold start attempt is the same - it won't turn over. Then, when I remove key and try again, it starts every time.I hooked my durametric diagnostic tool to it last night and there were no fault codes.Anyone had same or similar problem?

Did you ever come up with the exact reason why this is happening? Or is your second response the only solution? I am having the same issue when the temps are below 15 degrees. After the first start of the day starting always works.