Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cigarette lighter adapter

WaltRankin

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi Walt, i just did something similar. I went with USB adapter instead of power socket, i do not smoke and i use battery terminal clamps for the trickle charger. No other use for the 12v other than to charge the phone.  Let me know if you a interested in my setup and i can post some pix/links.

A tip, I recommend removing the radio so you can access/hold the connector housing from the back. Make sure to have your radio security code handy if you are going with this route.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, junkart said:

Hi Walt, i just did something similar. I went with USB adapter instead of power socket, i do not smoke and i use battery terminal clamps for the trickle charger. No other use for the 12v other than to charge the phone.  Let me know if you a interested in my setup and i can post some pix/links.

A tip, I recommend removing the radio so you can access/hold the connector housing from the back. Make sure to have your radio security code handy if you are going with this route.

Actually, if you just pop off the horseshoe surround, you don't need to remove the radio.

There's this plastic bezel/ring that sits over the socket, but not in horseshoe shape... perhaps i have something different? I apologize for misleading if that is the case. Also, the diagram seems to reflect 996/986 dash and not 993. The connector on my car looks a bit different from the diagram.

• Moderators

Your lighter is still mounted in a removable trim panel that comes out of the dash, making it accessible.  Do you have a photo of your lighter layout? If it is above the radio, then you may be correct:

993C2S_SLV_7.jpg

i think on the 993 the panel is glued on to the sheet metal. In order to remove the panel you have to remove the radio, defroster and fog light buttons, including the lighter socket. Wait, does Walt have 993 or 996/986? LOL

Edited by junkart

17 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Your lighter is still mounted in a removable trim panel that comes out of the dash, making it accessible.  Do you have a photo of your lighter layout? If it is above the radio, then you may be correct:

993C2S_SLV_7.jpg

yep thats what i have! That back panel is glued on, quite nasty to remove. ? 

You can remove the metal socket without removing the radio... quite simple actually; remove fuse from fuse box, number 7 i believe? then use flat head screw driver or needle nose pliers to rotate the socket by grabbing it from the inside opening. Rotate 90 degree in any direction then pull. You wont be able to pull the entire thing out coz the connector with short lead is still connected, but you can gently keep pulling the socket until the connector come off.