Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I need to do my wheel bearings as they're starting to howl despite having no play.

Since they're a fairly cheap part, I might as well do all of em at once.

Am curious as to whether anyone has opinions or rather facts on the quality of the bearing manufacturers: F A G, NTN or SKF. All are OEM suppliers. All have been around for over 100 years and all are well known. Are there any design differences that would make one more durable than the other?

EDIT: The site automatically blocks out the word F A G. It's the name of the bearing manufacturer in this case and not the insult lol. Any chance a mod could override that incase people want to search for a similar issue in the future? We're all grow-ups here afterall :).

Edited by DeAd-EyE

What are the spec of the front and rear bearings? C2, MY99, 6 speed manual. I think if you purchase the bearing to a bearing seller, they might be cheaper than purchasing them from Porsche, a dealer and/or auto part seller.

• Moderators

What are the spec of the front and rear bearings? C2, MY99, 6 speed manual. I think if you purchase the bearing to a bearing seller, they might be cheaper than purchasing them from Porsche, a dealer and/or auto part seller.

No idea, we just buy them as we need them.

• Moderators

I think one thing you overlook is that I am not in the business of trying to find cheaper substitute's for everything the shop needs, and components like wheel bearings are not budget breakers by any stretch of the imagination. Typically, we have half a dozen or so suppliers for stuff like that, all of whom are coming up with incentives (stocking programs, etc.) to get our business. As such, we get a worthwhile discount off the roughly $80-90 retail price for the unit, and we know the bearing we get will do the job because it is the OEM piece. Could we make more by trying to direct source the bearings? Probably, but then we would have to assume any risks, and probably have to invest more of our cash flow to keep an inventory quantity on the shelf. With a good stocking program, we do not put anything out of pocket, get ready inventory on the shelf, and are only billed when the rep does his weekly inventory count for restocking. And probably more important, the customer gets his car fixed with quality parts that we know will go the distance.

Sometimes price is just not everything...............

They're pretty cheap to begin with, when we're talking about 40$ for the fronts and like $100 for the rears, it's really not worth the effort at that point m8.

Deadeye, its easy to extrapolate info from an OEM bearing to see where its sourced and the complete specs.

JFP, what do you think about replacing other bearings in the 996 with ceramic hybrids? For instance, I found a CH pilot bearing, etc. Would changing the wheel bearings and others to CH versions just be overkill? If the CH claims are true it would be the last time you replace that particular bearng.

• Moderators

Deadeye, its easy to extrapolate info from an OEM bearing to see where its sourced and the complete specs.

JFP, what do you think about replacing other bearings in the 996 with ceramic hybrids? For instance, I found a CH pilot bearing, etc. Would changing the wheel bearings and others to CH versions just be overkill? If the CH claims are true it would be the last time you replace that particular bearng.

I think it would be an interesting experiment as the wheel bearings are under different load characteristics than an IMS or pilot bearing would be.