Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBD 2 scanner recommendations

I have searched for this topic but cant find anything current, I have a 996 C2 1999 and would like to buy an OBD2 scanner that has the correct connections for my car. Would appreciate any suggestions for current models that work well but that wont break the bank.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited by rattles

Durametric is definitely worth it if you have the means and intend on either keeping the car for a while or buying another Porsche down the line.

As far as budget options go, I have heard good things about the bluetooth OBD2 code readers if you have an Android or iOS device, although I have not personally used one on a 996.

I have both Durametric and Bluetooth (BT) on Android ($20). Depends on the usage. The BT will read and clear obdii codes and even read sensor vales in real-time like O2 sensors and fuel trims. It's very convenient to use, good for doing quick checking. It's also quite powerful as a diagnostic tool if you know what to read.

However, if you need the ability to clear Airbag lights or read Porsche specific codes or read cam deviation, etc you will need Durametric.

I have both Durametric and Bluetooth (BT) on Android ($20). Depends on the usage. The BT will read and clear obdii codes and even read sensor vales in real-time like O2 sensors and fuel trims. It's very convenient to use, good for doing quick checking. It's also quite powerful as a diagnostic tool if you know what to read.

Besides the cost, the one advantage I like for the bluetooth Android/iOS OBD2 reader over a more expensive integrated OBD2 reader is that the software can be easily updated. In the early 2000s, I purchased an integrated OBD2 reader, and while it worked great on my model year 1996 car, it was effectively useless when it came to non-standard PIDs, which by 2004 modern cars tend to use excessively.

Certainly if you need to do something more complicate than read/reset codes or "OBD2 extrapolated" values, then you need something such as a Durametric, PST2, or PIWIS.

In fact, if you just need to read codes or even read some basic values, an ELM327 BT adapter and an app such as Torque works great. Then again, so does going to your local Autozone and having this stuff read for free.

I guess it comes down to what you are after.

Want to read FRA/TRA, cam deviation, actual angles, etc.? Reset the airbag light? Access the Porsche specific modules? Code/program features? Then a generic scan tool is not going to work for those things.

I have extensive experience monitoring the 996 and can also tell you that the info provided by the generic OBD2 interface can be different than those provided by the protected areas of the DME... which is another aspect to consider.

Thanks for the quick replies and detailed information, I will be visiting the US in July so will do some shopping then. Where would the best place be to buy either the Durametric or the Bluetooth obd2 connector.

Edited by rattles

Buying durametric essentially is buying the cable...the software is downloaded from the site and is easily upgraded as you connect the cable to your confuser and then to your car's OBD port. You run the software on your windows OS (either on a pc or a mac that runs windows). I'm sure BT is available on the net as well.

You can buy Durametric cable directly from the company, through a few resellers, and occasionally they show up used for sale on sites such as RT.org or ebay (but not that often).

I'm sure an ELM327 bluetooth adapter can be purchased anywhere worldwide. I bought mine on Amazon for about $15 USD.

Thanks for the quick replies and detailed information, I will be visiting the US in July so will do some shopping then. Where would the best place be to buy either the Durametric or the Bluetooth obd2 connector.

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter/dp/B00B05QIPU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365701530&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+obdii+scanner

• Upvote 1

Also Durametric lists their authorized distributors in the following link:

http://www.durametric.com/distributors.aspx

You definitely would want to buy a genuine cable, and if it is a used enthusiast version, that it has at least one slot remaining for a VIN otherwise you'd have to pay Durametric to clear them out (IIRC). I believe enthusiast gets to read three VINs.

Note that there could be fake cables going around.

In fact, Durametric has a special notice about this on their ebay seller page:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=duramp

"We do not have any other distributors or resellers that sell on ebay, if you find another listing for a new tool that claims the same functionality it is likely to be a counterfeit of our product. These counterfeits are very low quality and are not eligible for software updates or support."

Would an average weekend mechanic (oil, plugs, filters, etc) get good use out of a Durametric or would something like this Bluetooth ODBII reader be more appropriate? http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

Highly over-priced for a BT obdii scanner. You can get the same for $15 one above + the Torque app. I think for most common problems like misfire, evap codes, o2 sensor/cat diagnostic, etc. the BT unit will be enough. However, for airbag reset or more in-depth diagnosis or cam deviation, etc you will need Durametric.

The Plx reader can be left installed and will not drain the battery, which might be why it costs more than the others. It also is the only one (I think) that works with iOS devices. I was thinking that it might be nice to have the real-time gauges available all the time, since I have an iPod touch installed in my car.

In the meantime, I think I'll pick up one of the cheaper devices and play around with it. It's amazing that you can get them that cheap.

The Plx reader can be left installed and will not drain the battery, which might be why it costs more than the others. It also is the only one (I think) that works with iOS devices. I was thinking that it might be nice to have the real-time gauges available all the time, since I have an iPod touch installed in my car.

In the meantime, I think I'll pick up one of the cheaper devices and play around with it. It's amazing that you can get them that cheap.

Yes, Plx works on iOS but ONLY if you get the wifi version, which is different than your link (the BT version). The wifi version will NOT work on Android phones I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello logray,

one question you wrote you have extensive experience so you might know this. Normal OBD components (I have a Bluetooth and a WiFi one) cannot read the value of the oil temperature in the 996. However the Durametric CAN read the oil temperature. As the Durametric is plugged into the same plug, it's seems to be just a different "request code" that is sent from the Durametric to the engine (I guess it's the ME unit that provides the oil temperature, right?). How to find out which code needs to be sent "into" the interface to receive the oil temperature as answer back from the engine?

Has anybody found this out?? Thanks in advance.

The only way to gain access to the protected areas of the DME (example oil temp) is by means of authentication.

Once authenticated, you can then issue the appropriate commands to interface with the various computers.

Unfortunately, the authentication information is both proprietary and protected by international copyright law, therefore it is not possible to obtain unless a.) you license this capability from Porsche or b.) work at Porsche and have access to this authentication information.

Thanks for the quick answer. Does that mean that Durametric is paying some kind of license fee to Porsche to get the permission to code the authentication for information retrieval into their cables? Then would it theoretically be possible to ask Porsche for a license for an authentication code to retireve the oil temperature information from the DME?

Thanks for the quick answer. Does that mean that Durametric is paying some kind of license fee to Porsche to get the permission to code the authentication for information retrieval into their cables? Then would it theoretically be possible to ask Porsche for a license for an authentication code to retireve the oil temperature information from the DME?

I think it may be easier just to tap into the existing oil galley and install a stand-alone temp sensor there. Saw some posts before in another forum talknig about these existing ports that they tap to supply oil to the IMSB.

Edited by Ahsai

I'm not sure what type of arrangement Durametric has with Porsche, but I am guessing there is some money being exchanged to have access to this proprietary info.

So yes it is theoretically possible, however in my estimations doing some research about other manufacturers, an annual license (or perhaps one time fee) might be in the $100,000 per year range (or perhaps based on volume of sales), and this is assuming they would be open to partnering with an individual (or company) to provide this info in the first place...