Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric Tutorial

working4it

I am embarrassed to say this but I cant be the only one asking this. I have the Durametric cable and I know it can do a lot more than just finding faults and clearing them. I am hoping we can get a list of functions/uses/definitions going for everyones use (example resetting adaptations, live logs and interpreting the data etc).

I found 2 links which were pretty good for the basics...

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/electronics/p383-durametric-tutorial-part-1-3a-the-basics.html

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/electronics/p384-durametric-tutorial-part-2-3a-advanced-functions.html

(From planet-9)

INTRODUCTION Durametric is a small company which produces a Porsche diagnostic tool for use by independent service shops or individual enthusiasts, and is as close as one can come to owning the equivalent of the PIWIS system that dealer service departments use, for thousands of dollars less. Unfortunately, Durametric provides very little in the way of documentation or tutorials in the use of their tool, which is part of the reason I have decided to write this primer. Some of the information on their website has not been updated for some time, however you can find some help at the following links as well:http://www.durametric.com/Durametric...stallGuide.pdfhttp://www.durametric.com/Durametric...ion_Manual.pdfhttp://www.durametric.com/Demos.aspxhttp://www.durametric.com/faq.aspx The Durametric Diagnostic Tool is comprised of 2 parts: the Durametric cable, and the Durametric software. The software is available for free and can be downloaded to your computer (Windows only) from their website here: http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx (Note: they are currently on Version 6.* of their software; they still offer 5.* also, for owners of one of their first generation cables. Version 5 will still run on newer cables, but this tutorial will primarily focus on Version 6 software). In order to run the Durametric software, you have to purchase one of their proprietary cables from them (or a 3rd party distributor, e.g. Softronic, Vivid Racing, etc). There are 2 types of cables: the Enthusiast and the Professional cable. The Enthusiast cable is limited to use on 3 different vehicles (by VIN number), and does not allow for Coding changes to the DME (ECU). The Professional cable has unlimited licenses, and can perform Coding functions almost identical to a PIWIS computer. It is also much more expensive than the Enthusiast version. The cable connects the OBDII port on your car to the computer via USB connector (it will usually be necessary to use a laptop to accomplish this). wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600. cable_box.jpgwol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600. prof_cable.jpgUSING THE DURAMETRIC TOOL 1. Download and install the software on your Windows laptop as described in their instructions here: http://www.durametric.com/Durametric...stallGuide.pdf 2. Locate the OBD II port and plug in the cable connector - it can only fit one way, and there should be a little "click" from the retaining tab when you have pushed it in sufficiently. wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 788x591. obd_location.jpgwol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600. obd_port.jpgwol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600. cable_connected.jpg 3. Connect the USB end of the cable to your computer. Turn on the car's ignition - it is not necessary to start the car (though you can if you are going to use the "Actual Values" function for real time data logging). A green indicator light should appear on the cable OBDII dongle to indicate it is connected. 4. Open the Durametric program; if your cable is authorized and connected properly, it will automatically determine the model/year/VIN info of your car. You should get a screen similar to below: wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x640. duratutor02.jpg (I have highlighted Engine Module, because that is where we start in the next section)BASIC ENTHUSIAST APPLICATIONSNOTE: IMPROPER USE OF THIS TOOL COULD LEAD TO MALFUNCTION OF YOUR DME AND/OR OTHER FUNCTIONS OF YOUR CAR!1. Check Over-Revs - Useful to check on your car, or a car you are contemplating buying. Click on Engine Module (see above) and it will open up a submenu; select "Information", and you will see a screen with info similar to below: wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x591. duratutor07.jpg This shows the so-called "over-revs" as number of ignitions in Ranges 1-6. Range 1 usually reflects hitting the redline, with Range 2 ignitions usually being attributed to "bouncing off the rev limiter". Range 3 and higher ignitions are a little more concerning (especially 4-6, which may indicate a significant over-rev event).2. Check and Clear Fault Codes - There are a couple of ways to check for existing fault codes (e.g. from a CEL or check engine light): under each module you will find a menu selection for "Fault Codes" and "Erase Fault Codes". If you click on a module which has a fault code you will see a report similar to below: wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x493. duratutor13.jpg The red (!) usually indicates a fault which requires some kind of action to correct; the yellow (!) is more for information only. Fault codes can be erased by clicking "Erase Fault Codes", but a word of CAUTION: Do not erase the fault code if it is something you don't understand, or if you anticipate that you will be taking it to a dealer/service shop for, since that may affect their ability to diagnose the problem. wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x478. duratutor19.jpg In the case above, my fault codes were related to disconnecting/connecting the thorax airbags on my seats, so I was comfortable in erasing the fault codes. Alternatively, you can check all the modules for faults by selecting "Short Test All Modules" under the Functions tab on the menu bar (see below); you can also select "Clear Faults in all Modules" to erase any fault codes present, but again, only if you are sure of what you are doing. wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x640. duratutor06.jpg3. Reset Service Reminder - if you do your own servicing (e.g. oil changes, etc.) on your car, you can reset the programmed Service Reminder that appears on the instrument display using Durametric. Go to the Instrument Cluster module and select "Commands" from the submenu, and you should see the following screen: wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x510. duratutor08.jpg Click on "Reset Service Interval Display" - your instrument panel lights should go off for a few seconds and then return, indicating that it has been reset to the pre-programmed service mileage for your car. _________________________________________________ http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx

Hi, if you have the time please post what us under "Park Assist". My rear park assist is not working and I want to find out whether or not durametric has enough the details to identify exactly which sensor(s) is/are not working.

Thank you.

Hi, if you have the time please post what us under "Park Assist". My rear park assist is not working and I want to find out whether or not durametric has enough the details to identify exactly which sensor(s) is/are not working.Thank you.

Yes it can identify which sensor is faulty. It was my first diagnostic when I got durametric.Turn on the hazards when diagnosing, this keeps can bus stay on.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Frankt said:

The links to the tutorials are no longer available ie get a message ‘page not found’. Anyone have a suggestion or a valid link that can be used.

thanks

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Try the Durametric website. 

• 1 year later...

I've have bought both Durametrics so far with the Enthusiast Version initially that I sold to a friend and now the Pro Version.

I've done extensive searches but with the internet as big as it is, I have not come across a site that tells all as far as Codes go.

I know all about P codes, U codes, etc that anyone can easily find meanings of on the web. The Durametric comes up with codes that aren't, such as in the Instrument Cluster 41510 / a226 and countless others of that format.

I remember asking Durametric ages ago what all those non-OBD codes meant. They didn't know, so of what use is this diagnositic tool? It is the most expensive diagnostic tool I have bought and it does the least by far in comparison to other diagnostic tools I have bought and still own.

• Moderators

Internally, Porsche uses and numeric fault code system that are not in the standard OBDII format. The factory OBD II manual for the car model had a “translation” section that converted one system to the other.  Unfortunately, these manuals were rather expensive (around $2,000 when the car was new), and no longer in print, making them rather scarce. And as they are considered the intellectual property of PCNA, reproducing or publishing them would invite legal action.

Well that does not alter the fact that the information given by the Durametric provides a code to an issue and since nobody knows what it means, it is useless making the tool an expensive paperweight in many cases.

But you had me look. My 993 OBD II manual does have it, but for that model of course and not my 991.1.

• Moderators

The only source for OBD II code data for a 991 is in the PIWIS system (Porsche stopped printing this type of data around 2004 model year).  It can also be obtained through their online subscription service, PIWIS Tsi.

2 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

The only source for OBD II code data for a 991 is in the PIWIS system (Porsche stopped printing this type of data around 2004 model year).  It can also be obtained through their online subscription service, PIWIS Tsi.

So why does Durametric not publish it?

If I went to the PIWIS Tsi site, there is no reason I cannot relate what it says online.

Anyway JFP, no worries.