Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME Programing Factory Map

Porsche 2003 996 TT

Does any one have the factory DME Programing Engine mapping software that comes with a factory DME/ECU.I would like to upload if to my DME. Right now I have Protomotive software on the DME (from another owner) and I think they shut down some services like. Is there anyway to see if Protomotive has stop any service on the DME from the PST2 unit ?

1-Secondary air injection=Not ready

2-O2 sensor=Not ready

3-Cat Sensor=Not ready

Or should I get go to another tuner to change the program that I have now

I am trying to get a mass inspection sticker .

Loran:

How do I upload from a PST2 unit that I have.?

I recently had a very similar issue with Revo tuning software that came on my 2002 TT. I took that garbage off because the SPS-3 switching device that it came with that's supposed to change it back to stock didn't seem to work and I couldn't get a pass at emissions here which is simply a plug into the OBD2 port and read from the computer (as is the case virtually everywhere now, it's all a read from the computer rather than a "real" test).

So anyway, if you can get the latest stock DME flash and load that to the vehicle through the OBD2 port that will probably fix your problem. The tuner that you used should have the stock flashes for sure. The state I live in does 5 readyness checks in total and I was told by the software company that makes the emissions software for my state that they recently added more checks, which is why the previous owner is Texas might not have had a problem. As a result, I think you're going to see more and more people having problems like this trying to pass emissions with flashed DMEs containing aftermarket tunes.

Another interesting thing to note is that the generic OBD2 reader the state was using showed 4 ready states, 1 not ready (cat converter efficiency)...however, the PIWIS/Durametric showed all 5 as ready.

The stock flash is a ~ 500KB file that takes about 2-3 minutes to load. If you go to the place that put the software on your car they should be able to put the flash stock back on there in no time.

p.s. for what it's worth, I can't tell any bit of power/torque difference with the stock flash back on there. I think most of these aftermarket tunes are BS

Edited by Silver_TT

I like the flash from Protomotive. Can I buy a unsed DME and flash that unit to stock so I can get passed Mass Inspection time ?

I think I need DME code (PST2) from Porsche for that used unit correct or does the tuner bypass it somehow ?

You don't need to buy a DME. The DME is the Porsche computer that contains flashable memory, which means it can effectively be erased and reprogrammed some finite number of times (on my 2002 TT it can be flashed something like 1,500 times).

What you would need to do is either contact Protomotive and tell what version of their software you have -- and ask if there is a newer version that addresses this issue you can upgrade to. If there isn't a newer version that addresses this from them you will need to reflash the car to stock (and then possibly drive a few days to get the readyness states set, assuming they truely are "not ready"...if they really are "ready" as mine were, then as soon as you flash back to stock it will pass). After you pass emissions you could then reflash back to Protomotive until the next time you have to pass emissions.....

To reflash you would need a PST2/PIWIS, or in the case of my Revo tune they told me they are the only ones that can take off the software (I didn't have a chance to verify that -- it seems like just reflashing would do the trick but without understanding what part of the memory is flashed I can't say anything about this definitively). Your best bet is to contact Protomotive about this issue and see what they say. If they don't have an update you should ask your local Protomotive dealer to reflash you to stock so you can pass emissions.

These aftermarket tunes often try to "defeat" a number of the systems associated with the exhaust system so that the car will pass emissions, however internally it usually shuts off things like the post-cats so that the car isn't throwing CELs related to cat efficiency.

I like the flash from Protomotive. Can I buy a unsed DME and flash that unit to stock so I can get passed Mass Inspection time ? I think I need DME code (PST2) from Porsche for that used unit correct or does the tuner bypass it somehow ?

You need the DME Programming Code from Porsche to re-flash the DME back to standard with the PST2. The maps are all stored on the PST2. If you were going to buy a new or used DME, you would also need the Immobiliser Code from Porsche to enter that. Any DME Version 7.8 should be OK, from a 996 Carrera 3.6 or Turbo. You can change all the coding option to match your current DME. The only thing you won't be able to change is the recorded hours and mileage on a used DME.

• Moderators

I like the flash from Protomotive. Can I buy a unsed DME and flash that unit to stock so I can get passed Mass Inspection time ?

I think I need DME code (PST2) from Porsche for that used unit correct or does the tuner bypass it somehow ?

As noted, that would be both expensive due to getting the Immobilizer codes plus the alternate DME itself. If Promoitve cannot help you as noted by Silver_TT, I would just dump the program and be done with it; we have never been a fan of these aftermarket software for multiple reasons ranging from emissions problems like you are experiencing to the software causing misleading general diagnostics problems (these things often create bogus outputs to keep the car from coding, so when you are trying to find a problem you never know what data is real and what isn't). At the end of the day, before and after dyno pulls have shown that many of the supposed power gains often grossly over stated and are marginal at best. These programs are also the kiss of death to any OEM warranty as Porsche has put a draconian automatic system in the PIWIS network that can easily catch modified DME coding and promptly kill the warranty world wide in seconds.

As the result of these problems, we look at aftermarket software as a "deduct" item on cars we get in for PPI...............

Richard is one of the best posters around here and I agree with everything he's saying. I just want to be clear though that with respect to this particular issue you don't need to buy a new DME. If you want to buy a new DME for another reason everything he's saying is correct and applies. But you don't need to buy a new DME strictly with respect to your question about passing emissions.

Thank you for all the input and I didn't know that the stock maps are all stored on the PST2. Which I have one on hand also all I-pas codes from my Porsche.

Question: Is there any way to save the Promoitve map that is on the DME now ?

So I can go back and forward from stock to performance tunes.

Sorry, I forgot to say that if you got a used DME, you would need to get the IPAS codes for the donor vehicle.

As Loren says, you couldn't transfer the Promotive map to the PST2. I have no experience of flashing 3rd party maps (I have only used PST2/PIWIS for factory maps) but I would have thought a cheap Gemalto-type interface and suitable software could be used to transfer the Promotive map backwards and forwards.

Silver_TT makes sense - contact Promotive and see if they can provide a map which is fit for purpose. I also feel the same way as JFP. I'm not a lover of these generic maps. Personally, I would only consider having a car mapped live on a rolling road by someone who reaaly knows what they are doing. Plenty of people can give you more power and torque, but there must be compromises and removal of safety factors. Just my 2c's worth.

Edited by Richard Hamilton