Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Glass window top replacement

actually I'm not that guy, I did it by phone, there's someone else who

installed the GAHH top and ordered the cable assembly from Stevens Creek Porsche, I got mine installed at ABC upholstery, about $500 cheaper than at premier and I'm happy with the result so far (after 1 day..)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to replace the top on my 01 2.7L and was considering a glass top. Some of my concerns:

1) How will it hold up after a year of cycling ...as far as creases and rubmarks in the fabric. Also wear/separation around glass.

2) Is there a nice headliner as on the original top.

3) Is there a funny looking raised black bead around glass which shows on colored tops.

Also from the photos I have seen ( thanks to all who posted) the smaller window does not have as nice an appearance..as for as proportion...like a chopped gangsta look. I guess I'll have to see more photos.

And again..there is the safety factor as far as rear visibility in the smaller size window.

1) Nobody knows since it is brand new. But the quality seems to be on par with the 2003 Porsche top from what I've read.

2) The headliner is separate. It is available from places that sell the glass-windowed top or you can reuse the one on your car (if it has one)

3) I believe the answer is "yes" but you can look at the pictures posted in this thread and decide for yourself. Note that the factory top also has this.

It is true that the visibility will be limited as compared to a clean, dry plastic window. But it is very hard to keep the plastic window clean and dry.

• Moderators
actually I'm not that guy, I did it by phone, there's someone else who

installed the GAHH top and ordered the cable assembly from Stevens Creek Porsche

I was at the parts counter today and spoke to the guy who took your order. You are the second person he knows of to order the hardtop electrical connector, as you said.

I saw these pictures at the counter.

glass_premier.sized.jpg

For those who have installed GAHH top and "pigtail" heating element connection - how did you route the wire between the glass and the connector socket on the car. My understanding is that the 2003-on tops have a sleeve to route this wire through wile the replacement top does not.

Also, can the pig tail be easily applied after the install or should one do it during the install.

FYI 2 year warranty on the GAHH top.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought the GAHH top, and since I live in the area, and they offered me a hefty discount if I let them take pics of my car, I let them install it. When it was done, and I started raising and lowering the top, I noticed that there was an incredible amount of stress being put on the part of the top where it's connected to the bottom of the rear glass window. No sooner did I notice this, than I further noticed that the window was becoming separated from the top at that spot.

GAHH told me they came to the conclusion that the tool they were using to seal the window to the top was defective, and they were having it machined. They are going to try to fix this for me, but I wanted to suggest to those of you who have purchased the GAHH top to keep a close eye on that area where the bottom of with window is sealed to the top. When I saw how much stress is being applied to the top when it's opened (due to the glass window,) I got the sinking feeling that it is inevitible that it's going to separate at some point.

• Moderators

Well, I finally saw the top in person in the back lot at my local dealer.

It is a 2000 base with tip. I measured the glass at 34 1/2" wide by 10 1/2" high. I wanted to get a good picture of the defroster lines but the car was dirty and I was not about to wash it. The material looked the same as OEM.

post-4-1122170038_thumb.jpg

post-4-1122170110_thumb.jpg

post-4-1122170165_thumb.jpg

Bad news on the GAHH top. The first one they put on for me had to be replaced because the glass separated from the canvas at the bottom. They re-tooled, and put a new top on. I got that one back, and the very next day, I noticed that the glass had become completely separated at the top. (I had not even raised or lowered it yet!) It was as if it were never sealed at all. This is especially distressing to GAHH because they have been sending these tops out all over the country. Anyone thinking about ordering one of these tops should probably hold off until they find out what's going wrong. I'll keep you posted.

I just got an email from the guy saying they've sold over 500 of these and have installed over 50 at their shop and they work on all year boxsters. I love the idea, just wanted to see one in action. They're $995 on ebay right now, but I'll keep looking to see if it can be found cheaper.

Scott

Mine is doing the exact same thing, but is is on the top of the window instead of the bottom. It looks like the black glue they used was not strong enough to take the stress. I have left a message with them and am awaiting a call back. I must say that it looks pretty bad from the inside and the outside. I am hoping they have aq solution as I am located in rural Ohio, far from their shop. I will keep everyone updated.

I recently bought the GAHH top, and since I live in the area, and they offered me a hefty discount if I let them take pics of my car, I let them install it.  When it was done, and I started raising and lowering the top, I noticed that there was an incredible amount of stress being put on the part of the top where it's connected to the bottom of the rear glass window.  No sooner did I notice this, than I further noticed that the window was becoming separated from the top at that spot.

GAHH told me they came to the conclusion that the tool they were using to seal the window to the top was defective, and they were having it machined.  They are going to try to fix this for me, but I wanted to suggest to those of you who have purchased the GAHH top to keep a close eye on that area where the bottom of with window is sealed to the top.  When I saw how much stress is being applied to the top when it's opened (due to the glass window,) I got the sinking feeling that it is inevitible that it's going to separate at some point.

For those that have the glass replacement failing, I am wondering how GAHH is handling these issues. Have they been contacted and how are they responding?

Thanks.

I heard back from them on Friday, the day after I contacted them and they stated that they have isolated the problem, and that it was only with some of the initial tops that went out. I bought one of the first few sold, and therefore it had that problem of seperation. They said that they are doing a series of tests on the new top and will ship me out a brand new top first thing monday morning pending the test results are still positive. I must say that while it will be a pain to replace this top again, I am very pleased with their customer service. They admited that it was there fault and accepted full blame. I will probably wait a few weeks before I install it to give their test vehicle a little more testing time to ensure that this will not happen again. I will keep everyone updated.

• 3 months later...

GAHH has already replaced my top three times, and they've been really great about it. The first two failed after just a few openings and closings. The last time, they put a big piece of vinyl tape on the inside just above the window. They did this a couple of months ago. I waited a solid month before touching that button, and I've only put the top up and down a few times as it is, and I can already see that it's eventually going to fail. There is just way too much strain where the glass meets the canvas happening as the window folds into place as it's being closed. For now, it seems to be holding on. I'll pass the word if and when it fails again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks, I though I saw orange lines on the top in the picture from Premier just like BAS. Trivial, or you can stick to the plastic window. Put your top in the service position and take a picture.

The GAHH top is already on ebay with a buy it now price of $695. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true If you look at the pictures of the speed yellow car on ebay they are the same as the ones on GAHH's site.

A mechanic I know does all the 986/996 top work, and he said it takes him about 3 1/2 hours. But he has done at least 20 Boxster tops. I told him I was going to kidnap him for our local work on cars days so I can film him doing a top install. He says it is easy, but I bet the first one did not take just 3 1/2 hours.

This is the oem plastic window he put on a 1999 that I watched for a while.

Hello Tool Pants when is the next local work on car day?