Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instrument Cluster Plugs...

2003 996 C4S

Here's my question, I've had my instrument cluster in and out 3 or 4 times to change out the Porsche check light for the LS3 V8

MIL light. (Malfunction indicator light?

The 3 large colored plugs have deteriorated to the point that the over center clamps have broken off. It appears that the

clamps are necessary to make complete contact with the recessed pins on the back of the instrument cluster. Does anyone know

if you can just buy the gray, blue and green plugs without the attaching harness?

Thanks,

Edited by creekman

They looked like Deutsch Connectors, try looking on Digikey, or Mouser web pages. If you look real close you may find the manufactures name.

2003 996 C4S

Here's my question, I've had my instrument cluster in and out 3 or 4 times to change out the Porsche check light for the LS3 V8
MIL light. (Malfunction indicator light?

The 3 large colored plugs have deteriorated to the point that the over center clamps have broken off. It appears that the
clamps are necessary to make complete contact with the recessed pins on the back of the instrument cluster. Does anyone know
if you can just buy the gray, blue and green plugs without the attaching harness?

Thanks,

They looked like Deutsch Connectors, try looking on Digikey, or Mouser web pages. If you look real close you may find the manufactures name.

Thanks Ronnie... My electrical guru in Dallas thought they were AMP plugs. Good idea, I'll start looking on the internet as you have suggested.

I've been through both the body and electrical sections of the PET parts manual and so far I haven't run across the plug or harness. The plugs

literally fall apart when you touch them.

Creekman,

The following might be of some assistance:

BROKEN PLUG HARDWARE. For those DIY’ers who have broken the lock on one or more of the instrument cluster plugs or who are afraid they might, here’s the part number you need : PNA 721.04.300.202. This part number gets you a package with the three colored (blue, green, gray) covers/locks and all three black plugs. They only come as a set of three and cost $27.00 (2007 MSRP).

The blue, white and black covers/locks and plugs are available for earlier cars too. Have your Porsche technician (not parts guy) check his "Porsche Electrical Connector Repair Kit" for the replacement parts or at least a part number for the three plug package. The entire repair kit is known as CARTOOL Nr 96 0 000 or PNA 721 043 600. It is full of connectors the parts guy would like to sell you the entire wiring harness for.

Bill

DadsCamera326.jpg

Edited by whall
  • Upvote 1

Binger,

I haven't, however now I have the plugs in place and everything is working I'm afraid to remove them until I have the plugs in hand. Now

it's a catch 22, I can't get the plugs until I remove the plugs for pictures. I'll probably put this on the back burner until I get some other issuesresolved.

Thank you, that looks like a good lead...

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.  Has anyone found a solution or a supply for the instrument cluster connectors for the 996/986?  The part number referenced above is no longer available.  The parts guy at a Porsche dealership said that 996s are now considered classic cars so I'm on my own.  I believe that the OEM connectors were made by Tyco.

My green connector fell apart when I was replacing my instrument cluster after replacing the time adjustment and trip meter shafts.  The locking arm broke so I tried using duct tape to seat, however that is apparently not sufficient to establish a good contact, as I get multiple failure warnings when I start the car.

Thanks in advance

Hi  Dherrick,

The green connector you are referring to should be 32pins. From my old notes the there are two MFGs that make that connector, Tyco and AMP.  The MFG part number I have is image.png.4a60f50e014aef85c0f87fccafd585ad.png  this is for the green cover. The inner part # image.png.2dc5719f30cbd9e32d15f63ad85a2074.png that would need two to complete the unit. I have found some dealers that might have them in the USA. If not they they look like they are available in Europe you will need to call around.

https://octopart.com/1-929409-1-te+connectivity-45284620

WWW.DIGIPART.COM

1-929409-1 Price, 1-929409-1 Stock, Buy 1-929409-1 from electronic components distributors. Instant result for 1-929409-1

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q=1-929409-1&tbm=isch&source=lnms&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=2ahUKEwjKkKPSrvnlAhVTHjQIHXNgBWkQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1536&bih=809 

• 1 year later...