Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have removed my gearbox before and used a wooden prop to support the engine, this was 'ok' but I know that there is a 'designed' support bar for this job that is much more secure. I have never been happy with using a wooden prop and have decided to make my own support bar.

Does anyone have one of these bars? I have searched previous posts and have seen pictures of what the bar looks like but do not have dimensions to make my own bar. I have scoured the internet and found conflicting information concerning two dimensions that are critical.

The two dimensions that I need are:

1) Horizontal centres between the fixing holes at each side of the bar. I believe this to be 826mm but would like confirmation.

2) Vertical centres between the fixing holes. I believe this to be 48mm but again would like confimation.

If anyone can provide this information then this would be very useful to me and would be much appreciated. I dont mind getting the sizes in good old-fashioned feet and inches.....!

Thanks for your help

Paul G

• 11 months later...

No. Sir Tools is "redesigning" the tool Won't be able to ship until August. Unfortunately, my Porsche is broken now. I will have to get one manufactured. So, could you re-post the dimensions in a legible manner?

I made a support bar to those dimensions and it fitted perfectly. I did drill all the holes slightly oversize, but probably didn't need to.....

Every 996 owner who takes out his gearbox (transmission to you american speakers) should have one of these. It makes the job much safer and easy to get the 'box in and out.

It took me less than 2 hours to fabricate the bracket with bits of steel that I already had in my garage. And that time included consuming two beers and offering it up to the under-side of the car.....

Paul G

I had to remove my gearbox because I screwed up with changing the tranmissionoil (see another topic).

I have read about that engine support bar, so I decided to fabricate one myself.

Cost me 8 EUR of steel, some bolts & some grinding/drilling.

I'm an IT guy, so this definitely means it's not too difficult to do it yourself ;)

IMG_3157_zps8910cbab.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I was looking for a way to support my engine!

What I do not understand, is the advantage of the special Porsche tool or a similar design. 

Why can‘t I simply take the weight of the engine with a normal jack at the same point, the special tool does! Or would this be wobbly? I have never removed the transmission so far, so I am thinking only theoretically!

Maybe someone can make me sleep again?

This is very useful when you want to use a lift with the car, or to move it on its own wheels with the transmission removed. It basically replaces the function of the transmission mounts that support the forward end of the engine.

Its hard to do that when using a trolley jack or jack stand.

Thanks for the answer!

Since I do not have a lift, I want to put the car on 4 jack stands and I do not move the car with the transmission removed! So these advantages of the engine support bar are not required for me.

Is it then safe to take the engine weight with a jack stand at the same point? Or do horizontal forces occur, that the stand can not take and wobbles or something?

Edited by thormann

The bar also gives you the ability to make small adjustments in height and angle of the engine which is helpful in remounting the transmission.  Do you have to have one? Nope.  But for 30 mins of fabrication, its worthwhile.  Im not home now, but can send picturs of my redneck home version once I get back, or you can Google it.  Some fancy versions, but simple angle iron and a few bolts work fine.

The bar also gives you the ability to make small adjustments in height and angle of the engine which is helpful in remounting the transmission.

I was thinking of using such kind of jack stand, which is adjustable as well.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7342.thumb.jpg.f51e67718615678ccd3ffe92ff652442.jpg

So, from your experience: Will this be wobbly!

Unfortunately I can not weld this bar by myself and these stands I have at home

Just an observation. Will the entire weight of the engine be resting on the stand and is there a strengthened section at the bottom of the 190 kilogram +/- engine for such a small area on which to rest?

The Bahco stand is clearly easily strong enough to take that weight, however, if I understand correctly, being a screw-type stand, once the engine weight is resting upon it, it ceases to be adjustable without again lifting the engine to make adjustment.

I am not sure, if I understand you right:

At the front the engine is still being held by the engine mounting bracket! To support the transmission side of the engine, I will use the same point, the Porsche bar does!

You are right, that adjusting under weight (even under only estimated 100kgs) doesn‘t work! So I need to slightly support with a jack somewhere

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The bar also gives you the ability to make small adjustments in height and angle of the engine which is helpful in remounting the transmission.  Do you have to have one? Nope.  But for 30 mins of fabrication, its worthwhile.  Im not home now, but can send picturs of my redneck home version once I get back, or you can Google it.  Some fancy versions, but simple angle iron and a few bolts work fine.

Need to build one myself. I can’t see every measurement above in the photos so I will have to wing it. Did you have any photos of your version to share with us?

Sry for resurrecting this thread from the dead.

Definitely redneck, but it worked a treat.  Hope the pictures make sense.  The tape was left stationary so you can see the support post is slightly offset to one side.

BCA97169-15E5-4E88-891C-247976C1C451.jpeg

647BDB9B-D790-4C95-B830-88A6B46D61D9.jpeg

B276C781-6587-4B94-8F1D-5C1EA21DB8AC.jpeg

04E83B5C-6A84-4911-A653-81B507CC7F26.jpeg

23F92677-1E4B-4B1F-940F-DEB7E3686A03.jpeg

Edited by JTT
  • Like 1

Definitely redneck, but it worked a treat.  Hope the pictures make sense.  The tape was left stationary so you can see the support post is slightly offset to one side.

Thank you! That will help me a lot. Redneck is my preferred method as it is cheap and quick.