Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation not available on 997.1 PCM unit (Map, Mail, Internal Teleph

Hello,

I have just bought my first Porsche 997.1 2006 C2 with the PCM system (which I think it is called)

Everything seems to work fine. The CD player works perfectly fine and it all seems good.

Except for when I press Tel, Mail, Navi or Map buttons, I get the following error along the bottom of the screen

Navigation not available

Map display not available

Internal Telephone not available

Mail not available

Depending on what one I press.

I receive no manuals for the car and bought from a used car place which didn't really no much about Porsches.

Does this mean, I need a CD? or does it not have navigation? or could it be faulty? does it need a sim card for everything to work? Im just lost.

I do not have any CD drives or anything in the trunk but it does have a type of sim card tray on the front of the unit that ejects

Any help would be much appreciated as I really just want the navigation on it.

Thank You

Matt

post-97744-0-13029900-1408808354_thumb.j

post-97744-0-23586400-1408808358_thumb.j

post-97744-0-90682900-1408808362_thumb.j

post-97744-0-45119600-1408808367_thumb.j

post-97744-0-27508500-1408808373_thumb.j

When you press MAIN and TRIP together, does it show Navigation and Telephone?  Also check your option codes in the Maintenance booklet.  666 is phone, and 670 is navigation.

if you have nav and phone, try a system reset by pressing the 1, 4, and 8 buttons at the same time.

If it does show Navigation, is there a map disk in the Navigation drive?  (In the front compartment, behind the plastic door at the back of the compartment).

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

No it does not. I then tried pressing 1, 4 and 8 together which done the reset and when It came back on I did the MAIN and TRIP together again which still only showed whats in the photo.

I also checked the trunk and don't seem to have any drives.

I take it that it means it does not have it?

Do you know roughly how much it is for the sat nav and phone?

Thank You

Matt

7.jpg

That's very unusual.  I don't think I've ever seen a PCM without navigation, phone, cd changer, and amplifier.  If they aren't shown on the option sticker, and the hardware isn't there, than you don't have them.  Usually when people don't want those features they normally specify the Radio/CD option, rather than PCM.

All those options can be retrofitted, but would be prohibitively expensive, and a huge amount of work.  If you wanted to use new original parts, I would expect it to be around £4000.  (A dvd drive alone is £1700).  Also, PCM2.1 is a 9 year old system, and doesn't have full postcode searches, or Bluetooth, etc.

Your best bet would be to get an aftermarket system fitted.  Because yours is so basic, you wouldn't have the complications of the MOST fibre optic network on a car which had all the options.

If you don't have it - don't worry. Just hope for no MUST. Pcm 2.1-features in regards of phone and nav is not very 2006, it's very...1996! Not being able to enter zipcodes in nav is the very least of it and no software upgrades includes this feature. Aftermarket-solutions are very limited and does not bring it anyway near...well, not even 2006. Not having to worry about MUST, if this is really the case, one could consider the entire setup a blessing in regards of options and so on in picking an aftermarket-product that includes bluetooth, streaming, decent sound (which the BOSE does not provide), touchscreen, zipcode-entry and so on - without spending £500 on separate parts to make it compatible.

Coming from a up to date pioneer system pcm 2.1 drove me crazy for a while and searched anywhere for possible upgrades, retrofits etc. Didn't get around to making a decision and so.....you get used to it when you realize that you don't need the music when driving a 911 and that nav on your phone is actually quite enough.

IMO; wait 3 months before investing in anything and see if you still miss it. If you do - listen to the subtile but really good advice from Anorak: "PCM 2.1 is a 9 years old system...." and is, if not already fitted, not really worth anything in daily use.

Probably stepped on some originalparts-believers. Sorry about that.

• 10 months later...
  • Admin

Sorry, but I thought I was in a 997-1 Series thread.

It is a 2005 911 Carrera S 997-1

Different years had different parts - it is always best to give us your exact model and year.

There are two special "keys" that slide into the front the of the unit and allow you to unlock and remove it (Porsche removal tool 9570/1). Once you slide it ou you disconnect (carefully) the optical cables and the electrical cables. Installation is the reverse.

The DVD drives are specific to VIN numbers as there were many changes to PCM in 2005-2007. So unfortunately this is not an easy direct swap.

You will need to make sure you get a compatible replacement --and some re-coding will likely be needed to match the unit to the car and update the firmware to the latest level. A Porsche PIWIS and your IPAS codes will be required for that.

I think there may be some confusion.  To remove the navigation drive you have to remove the large plastic cover in the front trunk (cross-head screws all round IIRC).  The drive is clipped into the frame with metal clips, and comes out relatively easily.  There are three connectors on the back for power, gps antenna, and fibre optic.

Oops!   Loren is correct, the manual shows removal keys, but when I removed my CDC I didn't need tools, but maybe the navigation drive is different.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Richard is right, there may be keys but on my 2005 997- S I removed the Nav DVD quite easily by just twisting the metal clips off the mounting and it went back just the same! It will be apparent when you look at it. Just do not bend the fibre optic cables too much, and if you are going to run the car with it not fitted, to save hassle get a joiner for the optical cables to link the DVD out. The communication ring is broken otherwise, though I am unsure what the system will do if it is just " not there" !

• 1 year later...