Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CDR31 Wiring Output or Back Picture/Diagram (no PCM)

Hi All,

I'm just about to order a 2014 off the dealer lot and it doesn't have any stereo upgrades (no bose, no pcm, no stereo plius, just the 2x25 watts).  I currently have a 987 that I'm trading in that did have the Bose.  I love music, but this is what they got on the lot.

I want to just add a simple self powered kenwood sub under the seat  (sw11) or similar this year and then later on upgrade the door speaker and and a decent amp.  I want to know if there is ANY way to get a line out from the  factor head unit, as I want to keep that stock. 

I don't want to use a JL Clean Sweep as the audio is not that great out of it, I would prefer to come line out directly from the factory unit. 

Worse case scenario if there is no way of getting a clean line out, does the base CDR31 have aleat a non-digial analog output on the wiring harness that I can put a clean sweep gadget to convert the highs to lows.

Thanks.  Looked all over the web but cant find a wiring output for the cdr31

• Like 1

Hi Loren,

Thanks for this diagram!   Much appreciated.  

Four quick followup questions:

1) is there any interface made by a 3rd party company that will allow the CDR31 to interface in some way, and derive a Line Level output that I can put to a 3rd party amp/sub setup?  I rather not conver high to low, bu have it done with an interface box if that is possible.

2) Since there are speaker outputs for the rear (I understand from my reading that there are no speakers in those spots, would it be possible to install speakers in those rear locations and wire them to the unused connections on the CDR31 in the diagram u sent?  Or are they limited by firmware to no put out sound on those connectors?

3)  How does the Bose interface with this system, assuming I would have had that option.  I don't see how the signal becomes digital for their amp setup..  the base CDR31 looks like a simple analog output?

4) What would be the default impedece of the base speakers or the high output from the back of the cdr31 base? 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm?

Thanks again!

• Admin

BOSE gets you more speakers (front, rear, and dash mid-range), sub-woofer - plus an amp.

Have you heard that system?

If not, you might want to wait see what it sounds like before you change things out.

Also, realize that almost all of the communication is via an optical (fiber-optic) system so I doubt there are any 3rd party solutions that don't replace everything.

Hi Loren,

I unfortunately don't have the Bose option :(  I picked up the last 2014 off the lot with a significant discount. But it has the base 2 x 25 watt output, its not bad, but I need a sub to fill in the bottom.  I'm deciding between the Kicker Hideaway and the Kenwood self powered sub.  Basically whatever will fit under the passenger seat.  

This should be enough audio to fill in the bottom of the sound.  It's too bad I can't find a place to put it in the cabin without causing seat vibration (like the bose's sub output is between the two seats.  If I could have ordered the car with the Bose I would have, but the discount was too good, so I'm now living with the stock base audio.

If anyone here tried the Kicker vs Kenwood - self powered, comments would be appreciated.  I think the kenwood is smaller so fitting under the seat may be easier.

If there was a place to put it between the seats like the Bose or in the foot well perhaps, but would loose space for the passenger.  So when I have a passenger they will just have to suffer with some vibe on the butt.

For $200 for one of these self powered subs and half a day of my time, it seems like the simplest solution for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Does anyone know in the above (in the thread) wiring diagram the REAR outputs are active/live?  And is there wiring coming out of the wiring harness for this?

The reason, I'm trying to figure this out is two fold. 

I would like to install some speakers in the rear speaker space and if they are live, it would give a more complete sound on my base setup of two speaker in the cabin.  I bought a car off the lot, so I didn't have the option to upgrade :(

The other reason I ask, is that I would like to install a small Kenwood KSC-SW11 self powered sub under the passenger seat and would rather take a feed off the spare REAR connectors than interfere by tapping the from wiring (no sure if tapping would take away from the sounds level to the front). 

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

I have been looking everywhere as well for a wiring diagram for both the PCM31 with Sound Package plus or the Bose sound systems in a 981 Boxster S, not sure which option mine will have, but know I will be changing it and want to do some planning while I am waiting for the right car to appear.

From my research so far I am looking to replace the speakers and the amp, done so much reading, but just can't find a wiring diagram...... any help really appreciated

The one bit of the puzzle I think I have is the wires from the PCM31 to the SPP ASK amp under the seat are:

Right front: +brown/white and -red/white
Left front: +yellow/brown and -blue/white
Right rear: -Yellow and +brown/blue
Left rear: +grey and -red/grey

• Admin

I have been looking everywhere as well for a wiring diagram for both the PCM31 with Sound Package plus or the Bose sound systems in a 981 Boxster S, not sure which option mine will have, but know I will be changing it and want to do some planning while I am waiting for the right car to appear.

From my research so far I am looking to replace the speakers and the amp, done so much reading, but just can't find a wiring diagram...... any help really appreciated

The one bit of the puzzle I think I have is the wires from the PCM31 to the SPP ASK amp under the seat are:

Right front: +brown/white and -red/white
Left front: +yellow/brown and -blue/white
Right rear: -Yellow and +brown/blue
Left rear: +grey and -red/grey

(click to enlarge)

post-1-0-84009400-1443045372_thumb.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks again !

I must say I wasn't expecting what I saw, for the Bose, didn't expect any input wires except the Optical input   :o ..... defn more research required

It would also seem that the tweeter and the 4" mid are still driven off the same wire with a Xover or capacitor somewhere.