Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Two cautions after DE inspection?

on my '09 CS, the tech told me there were two things to watch. Slight oil seep on cam end plug, not a drip, and dried coolant around a drain at or near water pump?? I did not see these. There is nothing on the floor under the car. Any concerns I should be aware of? What is involved in repairs?

• Moderators

on my '09 CS, the tech told me there were two things to watch. Slight oil seep on cam end plug, not a drip, and dried coolant around a drain at or near water pump?? I did not see these. There is nothing on the floor under the car. Any concerns I should be aware of? What is involved in repairs?

Cam end plug is a cheap and easy fix, the old one pops out and the new one pops in.

Dried coolant on the water pump is an early sign of pending pump failure; the water pump should be replaced.

I would not run a DE until you sort out the water pump issue, first. Only use an OE Porsche water pump. No aftermarket stuff. Replace thermostat, coolant (3 gallons plus 3 gallons distilled water) and serpentine belt all at the same time.

The failure rate of water pumps is 100%. It's just a matter of time & when.

You want to run a high speed DE event. Be safe, and enjoy the event. You don't want to compromise your safety nor the safety of the other drivers you share the track with. Not to mention the downtime for the track personnel who might have to clean up your coolant leak in a failure event. You want to be on the track, improving your skills, not in the paddock replacing a pump.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Any thoughts on how dried coolant on a drain plug at the water pump equates to impending failure?

There are two "drains" on the cooling system, one is an actual plug (photo below) and the other is a "weep hole" which is beneath the water pump pulley itself.  If a "crust" develops from leakge at the weep hole drain (second photo), the seal and bearing in the water pump are failing and need to be replaced.

dsc03714.jpg  img_70871385930027.jpg

• Upvote 1