Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Head Unit Recommendations?

In the conventional sense there is no "replacement". Changing out the head unit to a Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine/other unit is not a trivial task. The good news is that it can be done--but the effort and cost can be substantial.

Dynavin is a popular choice as it's designed to be an OEM-like replacement.  However, it's 800 bucks.  AvinUSA is also working on a unit that should be out this year at some point.  Same setup - designed for OEM integration, and priced similar to the Dynavin unit.

I'm holding out for the Avin unit, my self.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased an Pioneer App Radio 4 for my 04 Cayenne, but it's not installed yet.  I am a little frustrated because I would prefer to have Sirius/XM via Satellite (not the app) and this unit does not do that.  I am also considering if I should go the NAV-TV route or scrap it and add my own amps. 

I would be willing to forgo the App Radio if something plug and play would come close.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the Bose integrated system is going to be a pain in the as* to change the Stereo unit.

Try finding a used one in fleabay or something.

I have the PCM 2.1 and i just add the Tranzit Blu HF to the system and now i have bluetooth (music and phone). Its not a incredible solution but it works for me.

Edited by paqueras

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that the NAV-TV kit is the way to go when replacing the MOST Porsche head unit with something more modern, but at $600 it's almost more economical (although much more work) to replace the amp instead. Has anyone had any luck with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOST-Fibre-Optics-Head-Unit-Replacement-Module-for-Porsche-Cayenne-/351442148500?hash=item51d3959c94

At $180, it's less than 1/3rd the price. They're out of London and I've even found a Russian distributor that has what looks like the same box for $130. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

-bill k

Edited by wkoperwhats

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted ICM and asked for some details regarding this MOST adapter. It looks like a nice (cheap) alternative to the NavTV, but there are a few limitations:

1. It only has *one* pair of inputs (L/R) rather than four (L/R + Front/Rear). Since the Bose amp will still be used, all speakers will work, but  there will be no fader control.

2. Unlike the NavTV this unit does not support *any* of the steering wheel buttons (although with the Nav-TV it only works with Kenwood/Alpine).

Might be worth a try for those looking for a more cost effective solution.

Cheers.

-bill k

• 3 months later...

I wrote Avin support about when the latest unit for the Cayenne will be available. Here was their response: Yes we are developing our all new Avant-3 platform now. It will be all new hardware and software and will be the highest spec unit out on the market.

The Porsche model will all be based on the Avant-3 platform that we hope to have ready by March.

Ugh,  My daughter was just about to pull trigger on the Dynavin n6-pc

Guess she should wait a little

I wrote Avin support about when the latest unit for the Cayenne will be available. Here was their response: Yes we are developing our all new Avant-3 platform now. It will be all new hardware and software and will be the highest spec unit out on the market.

The Porsche model will all be based on the Avant-3 platform that we hope to have ready by March.

• 5 months later...

I successfully replaced the Head unit with a Pioneer app radio, and kept the Bose amp and speakers. I used a stereo replacement kit by Scosche, PE02SR and a head unit trim by Metra. The kit from Scosche is half the cost of the Nav Tv, and works really well and is much better quality, also it does include the steering controls, so your buttons still work. I don't have the Fader control, but I don't care about that. The sound quality and power has improved dramatically. Simple enough to DIY. Also, is completely reversible if you want to put the OEM head unit back. I have an Avin unit on my BMW E46 and is a nice unit, but still has plenty of bugs. It doesn't compare with a Pioneer or Alpine quality.

• 1 month later...
I successfully replaced the Head unit with a Pioneer app radio, and kept the Bose amp and speakers. I used a stereo replacement kit by Scosche, PE02SR and a head unit trim by Metra. The kit from Scosche is half the cost of the Nav Tv, and works really well and is much better quality, also it does include the steering controls, so your buttons still work. I don't have the Fader control, but I don't care about that. The sound quality and power has improved dramatically. Simple enough to DIY. Also, is completely reversible if you want to put the OEM head unit back. I have an Avin unit on my BMW E46 and is a nice unit, but still has plenty of bugs. It doesn't compare with a Pioneer or Alpine quality.

Could you please post a picture I would like to see how it looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about this HU, has anyone tried? Should be fully compatible with Cayenne 2004 - 2010 WITH Fibre optic cable or Bose Sound System

PORSCHE Cayenne Bose Sound MOST Autoradio Android DVD GPS Navigation Bluetooth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-Cayenne-Bose-Sound-MOST-Autoradio-Android-DVD-GPS-Navigation-Bluetooth-/231849562167?hash=item35fb4f9037:g:OGYAAOSwmtJXZ-Ss

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The headunit AViN is offering now is just a chinese version, nothing special!

I just found the same unit but a little different unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quad-Core-7-1024-600-2Din-Android-5-1-1-Car-DVD-Video-Player-Radio-BT/32734007450.html

The difference with this unit is that it can be upgraded to better bluetooth from parrot with this part, and will be assembled by the seller.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Built-in-Parrot-FC6000T-Module-for-Android-OS-Car-DVD-Player-Radio-Video-Screen-GPS-Navigation/32742660985.html

And you can also add DVB-T to this unit which makes it reallt worth it!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Built-in-DVB-T-MPEG4-Digital-TV-Module-for-my-shop-car-dvd-player-Radio-Stereo/32598903753.html

And ofcourse you order the headunit with a DAB module directly or add it later!

Best thing is that I found a really good MOST to RCA Adapter, but this one is 4 channel so front and back!!!

Instead of the bad AViN one which only does stereo in the front!

You can buy the MOST to RCA Adapter here

http://umno-tech.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=154_172_175&products_id=629

And if you have the oem camera installed you can use a adapter like this one to connect it to the new headunit.

http://www.navlinkz.de/en/Cables-and-adapters/Fakra/Adapter-Fakra-male-to-RCA-male.html

All in all I think if you purchase all these parts you will have a pretty nice system for the Cayenne with the oem speakers and amplifier!!

Edited by Mixpower

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '04 CTT and needed to upgrade my headunit for bluetooth, rear view camera etc.  It wasn't cheap per-say but well worth it.

Here's what I purchased:

1. Nav-TV (most expensive part purchase, around $600) You cannot upgrade your stereo without this piece unless you want to replace the speakers and add an amp.  My factory Bose speakers actually sounded better after this install.

2. You can add what ever head unit you want, but I added the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX which has apple carplay, Android Auto, plays CDs and DVDs and also has a SD card slot.  Crappy part?  It doesn't have any front USB plugs, but 2 in the rear. 

3.  I added a review camera I bought off of eBay for $20.

4.  I went to a local shop and they only charged me $300 for install since I supplied all my own parts.  I could have done it myself, but I needed a custom USB plug installed in the center console and the installation of the rear view camera, both of which were above my comfort level.

Parts:

1. Nav-TV $600

2. Pioneer 4100-NEX $525

3. Pioneer Navigation Unit $120 (waste of money since I used my navigation on my iPhone thru Apple Carplay)

4. XM Radio Tuner Add-On $45

6. Rear View Camera $20

7. USB Cord for center console $30

8. Install $300

Only downside I can think of is the steering wheel controls do not work.  I bought a $45 converter to integrate the steering wheel controls but it would not work.  The 4100 unit does come with a wireless remote.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I just purchased a 2004 Cayenne S.  The Navigation unit is old and is not easily upgraded (via CD).  I want to replace it with a newer unit.

I am looking at the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1308200NEX/Pioneer-AVIC-8200NEX.html. Its pricey.

I also want to add a backup camera. Will any camera do or do you have recommendations? I want the camera to use the Pioneer head unit and automatically engage when the car shifts to Reverse.

Any/all help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Carina

• 1 year later...

Old thread but did you get your 8200NEX installed Carina?  I just installed one in my '06 CTTS along with the backup camera. I also used the Scosche PE02SR for the install (Most adapter and steering wheel controls) Works great, better sound than OEM head unit through the stock Bose amp and speakers. For the steering wheel controls it only has the volume and the channel change, so 4 of the buttons work. You can wire it up for the Mute but I didn't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you have to do for the mute and scan? I don’t have Bose or a PCM and I am the original owner so it wasn’t changed.

How does the Scosche dah kit look? I’m also looking at the AVIC-8201NEX. Which backup camera did you get? Where did you mount it? Does it have dynamic lines for parking? Do you have a picture(s) of the install of the head unit and camera mount? I’d appreciate seeing it. 

Thanks!

Edited by BobbySpeed