Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key FOB Programming procedure for?

Does anyone try the following two procedures to reprogram their keyless remote for 1999 996?  I found this via google search and wonder anyone here have tried it.  Both of my remotes are dead and looking for options to reprogram a new remote purchase from on-line dealers.   My local dealer gave me a quote about $300 for key and reprogramming for one remote.  I like to get two remote so I have a backup and that would to $600!

1. Close the vehicle 
2. Turn OFF the ignition. 
3. Remove the key from the ignition. 
4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch in the UNLOCK position. 
5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.) 
6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.) 
7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.) Leave the ignition key in the ignition lock cylinder. 
8. Release the door lock switch. The vehicle will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been activated. 
9. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the keyless entry transmitter and hold until the vehicle beeps twice to verify that the transmitter has been successfully programmed (this take approximately 15 seconds). 
10. Perform the previous step to program up to four transmitters (including your old ones). 
11. Remove the ignition key in order to exit the Program Mode

Here's another one: 

1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Locate the 
 Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it.
3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it.
4) Close all of your doors.
5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming.
6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button.
7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received.
9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector. 10) your done

• Moderators

Knowing how this system works, I seriously doubt either of these proceedures are going to do anything other than waste your time.

You problem is that in order to change the remotes out, you need to reprogram the car to accept them, which requires either a PST II or a PIWIS system.

• Admin

JFP in PA is correct.

If these procedures actually worked I think there would be a lot of stolen Porsche's.

I have actually programmed (new) keys to cars using a PST2 and PIWIS - there are IPAS codes needed as well as original unique key number code.

Only 4 keys can be programmed at any one time - and to overwrite one of the 4 key codes you need the original key and the unique key number code.

Those procedures may have worked on older cars but not on 996 or newer Porsches.

I have two Audi and they both have procedures similar to what I found listed above for programming new remote so I was really hoping that this procedures can be done also for Porsche.  But with that said it is almost universally knowledge that when your remote failed(and looks like it fails pretty regularly) that you just bring it to the dealer and they charge you the price of buying a smart phone for a simple remote. :censored:   Anyway I think I have to order the remote anyway and from searching the forum look like Sunset Porsche has the best price.  I will give a go since I do have some time to waste; if it doesn't work I will bring to the dealer to get it program.  If anyone have try this please chime in working or not since this is the purpose of this forums. 

I was in the same situation, and after a bad experience with Sunset Porsche, I won't do business with them anymore.  I found keys on eBay (with the serial number tags) for @ $140, and had a local specialty locksmith come and do the programming, which cost another $100-$150 (don't remember exactly).  We swapped the blades into new heads, obviously.  I was originally told that only the dealer could do the reprogramming, but this is not correct, there are quite a number of places that will do it in most major metro areas.

As noted, it is the car that needs to be programmed to accept the key, not the other way around.

Then there is this one:

1. Go to the shed and get the wheelbarrow.

2. Bring the wheelbarrow to the bank and have them fill it with twenties.

3. Bring the wheelbarrow full of twenties to the dealer and tell them you need a new remote programed for your car.

4. Bring your new remote and your empty wheelbarrow home.

5. Put the wheelbarrow back in the shed for next time.

• Moderators

Then there is this one:

1. Go to the shed and get the wheelbarrow.

2. Bring the wheelbarrow to the bank and have them fill it with twenties.

3. Bring the wheelbarrow full of twenties to the dealer and tell them you need a new remote programed for your car.

4. Bring your new remote and your empty wheelbarrow home.

5. Put the wheelbarrow back in the shed for next time.

+1  :notworthy: