Server Lease Renewal/Software Licenses

Our yearly server lease, software licenses, as well as hardware operating costs are due Dec 6th, 2017. Our current donations have fallen far short of the funds we need to renew. Please consider a donation to help...  THANK YOU!

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must login to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Hi everyone,

I'm a happy owner of a 2008 Cayenne S. I have been living with a chronic CEL for a while, codes P0016 + P0344 (P0016 comes back immediately after clearing). It's related to intake cam position timing on bank 1. I'm hoping (more like praying) that it's not a stretched timing chain, I haven't read up on anyone doing many timing chains on the 4.8L, so I'm going to "reluctantly" throw a Cam Position Sensor & Variable Valve Timing Actuator at it & hope for the best. While the cam sensor is removed I will inspect the hall effect ring on the camshaft that many believe bend, causing erratic cam signal codes. I also have an intermittent starting issue I hope is related to this (computer not seeing cam position on bank 1??).

Any Cayenne owners out there that have had these issues before & could share any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I own a 2008 Cayenne S, been living with a chronic CEL for a while, codes P0016 + P0344(P0016 comes back immediately after clearing). It's related to intake cam position timing on bank 1. I'm hoping (more like praying) that it's not a stretched timing chain, I haven't read up on anyone doing a timing chain on the

The use of a two-channel scope makes this immediately clear, the signals between the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor will be out of synchronization. Unfortunately not every enthusiastic has this equipment available.  Happy New Year to everyone.

Happy New Year! just to update, VVT actuator + cam sensor did nada... code came back right away. I was looking at the camshaft signals with the scan tool & it shows bank 1 having a 2 degree "out of target" reading (should be 130deg, reading 132deg). Looks like the bank 1 cam timing chain has stretched. Time to save up, lol!

Curious, how many miles are on the Pig, oil change intervals, what oil are you using? First I have heard about it on the 4.8 but I guess some of them are starting to get up there in mileage now too.

The pig has 200km, I bought it from a friend with the CEL cam code on (I'm the 2nd owner). Mobil 0w40 services every 10-15K, I just changed it to Liquid Moly 10w60 RaceTech (runs better, doesn't burn). The crazy thing is he said this light was on since almost the beginning when he had it serviced at the dealer for something, which made me believe that it was a bent reluctor ring on the cam, but it looked good? I don't know.... this is why I asked if anyone has had any similar experiences with this. I have almost 20k in receipts since the beginning so I don't think it's been neglected.

Curious, how many miles are on the Pig, oil change intervals, what oil are you using? First I have heard about it on the 4.8 but I guess some of them are starting to get up there in mileage now too.

The pig has 200km, I bought it from a friend with the CEL cam code on (I'm the 2nd owner). Mobil 0w40 services every 10-15K, I just changed it to Liquid Moly 10w60 RaceTech (runs better, doesn't burn). The crazy thing is he said this light was on since almost the beginning when he had it serviced at the dealer for something, which made me believe that it was a bent reluctor ring on the cam, but it looked good? I don't know.... this is why I asked if anyone has had any similar experiences with this. I have almost 20k in receipts since the beginning so I don't think it's been neglected.
UPDATE :

I recently got my Cayenne back from the shop & I want to report that my issues have been solved. The tech confirmed that problem was with the cam timing (both banks off) & proceeded to re-time the engine by locking the cams using a special fixture& re-adjusting the cam sprockets back to factory spec. While the intake manifold was off he carbon blasted the intake & replaced the plugs. The result.....no more engine light, smooth start up, quick snappy response & smoother transmission shift. Happy customer!

post-103017-145357920838_thumb.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, Fmscell said:

UPDATE :

I recently got my Cayenne back from the shop & I want to report that my issues have been solved. The tech confirmed that problem was with the cam timing (both banks off) & proceeded to re-time the engine by locking the cams using a special fixture& re-adjusting the cam sprockets back to factory spec. While the intake manifold was off he carbon blasted the intake & replaced the plugs. The result.....no more engine light, smooth start up, quick snappy response & smoother transmission shift. Happy customer!

post-103017-145357920838_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I have MY04 Cayenne-S with 210K and having the P0016 for a while already; hating to see the CEL on. Wondering how difficult and what procedures involved for re-timing? What's the cost for the job? I am in Montreal, QC. Thanks,