Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Do I Fix: Check Headlamp Beam Adjustment?

Hi. I have a 2006 Porsche Cayenne S, I am trying to figure out my issue with dash warning: "Check Headlamp Beam Adjustment"

The headlights both move fine when the lights are turned on but error message immediately lights up.

I have replaced the rear level sensor (was corroded), modified headlight connections to verify they are 100% connected, cleaned all terminals on headlights and level sensors of any corrosion, and replaced both HID headlamp bulbs; but still has error.

What does everyone suggest to fix this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Loren its not exact the same topic but would like to ask you if you have a name/ part number for this headlight

Wire string. Mine looks terrible and i belive thats alsoa reason for headlight problems. Thank you.

• Admin

Loren its not exact the same topic but would like to ask you if you have a name/ part number for this headlight

Wire string. Mine looks terrible and i belive thats alsoa reason for headlight problems. Thank you.

The wiring sub-assemblies come in left and right and Halogen or Xenon.

I need to know which headlight (Halogen or Xenon)?

Also, some of the early cars need to be ordered by VIN - so please PM me your VIN also.

You will a Porsche specific tool to find the fault that is causing the warning.

Durametric or Porsche PIWIS should tell what caused the fault.

Loren, can you send me a link to the best/cheapest place to buy the Durametric scan tool you suggest?

The wiring sub-assemblies come in left and right and Halogen or Xenon.

I need to know which headlight (Halogen or Xenon)?

Also, some of the early cars need to be ordered by VIN - so please PM me your VIN also.

I have send you my vin. Thank you

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do they try and self adjust when you turn the key on? Mine try and level each time I turn the car on and the headlights are on. Check all the fuses. Disconnect one side and see if the problem is still there? Try and isolate it to one headlight. Other than that might need a pwis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. They go down and up every time when I turn them on/off or when light sensor turn them on. Not only when I start the car.

If I disconnect any headlight the error doesn't appear. Only errors for bulbs (I see them also in durametric), not for adjustment. 

I just changed xenon bulbs, error is still here... I don't know what else to try. Suspension ECU?

Sounds like an issue with the headlight if there is no error when disconnected. Order a new light from the dealer and see if you still get the error. Return it if you still get the error with the new one. Or find some that would swap you headlights to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Cayenne has the same issue. I checked all the obvious stuff, but eveything looks and works as it should. Finally, I took the car to an indy shop to see if it was a coding issue. They found a fault code and cleared it. For about a week after, the annoying dash warning was gone, but it started again. However, it is a lot less frequent. I am baffled by this one. OP, I'm sorry I don't have advice or a solution,  but my experience may help. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue and read that the error could be from one of the level sensors connected to the wheels, which can break because they inform how to aim the headlights if you are going up or downhill. That is going to be the next thing I check. I believe that there is a front and rear sensor.

• Admin

Did any of these occur?

Calibration must be performed if changes were made that can change the position of the angle sensors:
- Headlights, complete
- HBA (Xenon) control module
- HBA angle sensor (front and rear compression)
- Running gear components
- Damage caused by accidents

IMG_20161224_123157.jpgI'm using vcds vagcom 15.7.1 on my 06 ctt. 

Have you looked at your coding to determine if your headlight is via level control or partly via headlight aim Control? You could try to recode this level control module and also have a look at the 4 corner level sensor readings to make sure they are sensible readings and recalibrate it anyway. 

If wiring/sensor is not an issue it sounds like the headlight and suspension height are not matching up and throwing a fault. 

Have you check the connections and cleaned them all with electrical cleaner spray. Seem strange you get fault after replacing something. Are these ballast oem or aftermarket? 

IMG_20161224_123209.jpg

IMG_20161221_124729.jpg