Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turbo / MAF replacement, Oil found

16 hours ago, hahnmgh63 said:

Keep it for at least another year to get some money out of your time and repairs.  Also good to see after a year if the next Gen Cayenne has any problems although sometimes we know they don't show up for a couple of years.

Yes you are right Mark. I will keep it for a while and try to improve the technical status and performance without spending thousands. 

At least a try.

we just have now IAA in Frankfurt. We went there to see whats new.  The Cayenne looks nice. Inside already like a space shuttle. Lots of high tech . The backside from the car is nice. Front looks like Macan. But the price. OMG

I am going to prepare my old S for sale.  My son was driving with the car from time to time just not to have the problem with a empty battery. He told me some weeks ago the cars fuel consumption is crazy high. Today i drive a litte bit an really the consumption is very very high. Approximately 45 liter / 100 km. This is crazy. What could happend here? Any idea?

IMG_1714.JPG

• Moderators

That's more than double in consumption, in this case the engine should run badly and smoke like an old school diesel. Are you shure there is no leak or the fuel disappeared, by circumstances, in an other vehicle? With M.S. in the background i would pay attention. :biggrin:

My regards to belgium. No there is no leak. No spots, no fuel smell. 

Yes thats amazing consumption. But its real. 

I have to add this old Cayenne has a scored cylinder no. 6. Already 4 years. Was always running with noises but usual consumption of 13 /14 liter per 100 km.

its still running good. Not like new but almost ok. No crazy smoke. 

• 2 weeks later...

As some remember maybe I had continuous fault codes with the camshaft sensor/ actuator. Timing on one bank not like it must be. I changed the sensors on the backside of the bank with no result. I was very close now to change the magnetic sensor in the front. 

Today I unwrapped all the isolation material. What i found very common already with my engine. Everywhere briggle and broken wires. 

Everybody with continuous faut codes should really check the wiring in the engine room. Now after 10 year almost everything in a very bad condition. 

10BA8338-8179-4F42-84B8-5362CA77BA27.jpeg

62505CEF-1D6A-4EBF-9B46-2351E8A2AA40.jpeg

4D790AAA-DDAF-4828-BE8C-A9F1102A818E.jpeg

3C317167-1C4E-4333-B361-CCD72C75C32A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Smell of.....

i experienced already for some time a strange smell inside the cabin when I drive the car hard. 

Its not exhaust, it’s not gasoline. I guess it’s a kind of fume which is flowing through the hose crankcase ventilation system. A mixture of hot air and oil. I believe it could be this kind smell of air which is sucked into the intake to get burned in the engine.i hope i could describe it so somebody could point me to a possible cause. Thank you. 

On 17/10/2017 at 12:52 AM, ekstroemtj said:

Smell of.....

i experienced already for some time a strange smell inside the cabin when I drive the car hard. 

Its not exhaust, it’s not gasoline. I guess it’s a kind of fume which is flowing through the hose crankcase ventilation system. A mixture of hot air and oil. I believe it could be this kind smell of air which is sucked into the intake to get burned in the engine.i hope i could describe it so somebody could point me to a possible cause. Thank you. 

Burning of oil residue from the intake, turbo intercooler etc where it sits for a while until you drive it a bit harder then it clears out via the engine but you still smell it in the car. Mine did it also but not really that much as I nearly always drove it quite hard. My Golf turbo did the same if my wife drove it for a week slow then I drove it hard at the weekend would stink a bit the first time it saw 6000 rpm and small puff of smoke also. 

Edited by lewisweller

Ironically mine is starting to do the same thing, although I thought it was something in the HVAC system burning out. Electrical/rubber smell really strong at certain temps but not at others. But today I hit the brakes hard and then smelt what could have been oil burning off. Plus my mileage is getting worse to. Weird. I have some minor leaks, like around the cam sensor cap and probably the valve covers. How do these engines hold up to pressure washing? Some are fine (Jeeps!) whereas others short out and die!

3 hours ago, Zakowsky said:

Ironically mine is starting to do the same thing, although I thought it was something in the HVAC system burning out. Electrical/rubber smell really strong at certain temps but not at others. But today I hit the brakes hard and then smelt what could have been oil burning off. Plus my mileage is getting worse to. Weird. I have some minor leaks, like around the cam sensor cap and probably the valve covers. How do these engines hold up to pressure washing? Some are fine (Jeeps!) whereas others short out and die!

I would not pressure wash, coils are prone to flood, valley of banks will flood and corrode everything not to mention running down into the torque convertor seal. Recipe for disaster 

Just use some engine cleaner wd and a cloth. Rinse off with damp cloth and squirrel bottle on mist is the most I would gamble on. 

On 18.10.2017 at 10:16 AM, Zakowsky said:

When did you you take out your coils last time? 

There is a gasket under the valve cover for the spark plugs. This is becoming very brittle over time. Oil is flowing to the tunnel where the coils are. This could cause a smell when engine hot.

Thanks guys - I'm due a tune up, realized I have put 40,000 km on it since I bought it a year ago! Will pull the plugs and coils and check the area for oil. But it is strange that the smell is strongest through the vents, and only on certain settings and/or when braking or accelerating. When I smell it I have stopped and opened the hood, catch a bit of the smell, but it is not as strong as in the cabin with the fan on. I can see how it would get sucked in the air vent, but it is hard to trace since I am always driving when it happens. But I should do my plugs and MAF's anyway.

And Hand Wash Only!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever figure out where your oil smell was coming from Thomas? I can't, and it is getting worse. Every time I go over a sharp bump like a curb into a driveway the vents blow a really strong smell of burning oil - nobody wants to drive in the car anymore! I thought it might be the oil that collects in the cam adjuster caps that splashes out, wasn't that; can't see any stains on the headers, and even though the valve covers are a bit leaky, it's just damp and has no drips or anything major that could splash. Cleaned one side with engine cleaner and now it just stinks of burning oil and engine cleaner...

Pulled the plugs btw and they looked very good - gap had widened a bit so I just tightened them up, cleaned them and put them back. Cleaned the MAFs and its running smooth again. Stinks, but smooth.

16 minutes ago, Zakowsky said:

Did you ever figure out where your oil smell was coming from Thomas? I can't, and it is getting worse. Every time I go over a sharp bump like a curb into a driveway the vents blow a really strong smell of burning oil - nobody wants to drive in the car anymore! I thought it might be the oil that collects in the cam adjuster caps that splashes out, wasn't that; can't see any stains on the headers, and even though the valve covers are a bit leaky, it's just damp and has no drips or anything major that could splash. Cleaned one side with engine cleaner and now it just stinks of burning oil and engine cleaner...

Pulled the plugs btw and they looked very good - gap had widened a bit so I just tightened them up, cleaned them and put them back. Cleaned the MAFs and its running smooth again. Stinks, but smooth.

Have drained you drivers side intercooler ?

For those of you that have already drained this oil collection point, could you comment if it might be possible to install a drain tap at that point to make repeat drains later on? Or do you feel the effort of that modification would outweigh the actual task of removing the pipe and draining each time it's required?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@Zakowsky  hi to Canada. 

I am still having this smell. Not always I need to say. I doubt it’s coming from the intercooler Hose. I drain this regularly.  

We need to think about where else can be a possible cause. I believed it could be the smell of fume which is usually circulating in our crankcase vent hoses. Checking the PCV system again maybe could be a start 

33 minutes ago, lewisweller said:

Yeah, I stay on top of that now, plus I got a real gasket for it - not just my normal teflon tape! The area in general is a bit oily, but no more than it has always been. It's just the past month or two that it started, every time I go over a bump, within seconds it starts, bad.

As far as making a drain tap, I don't think it would be worth it....the spring clip is a bit of a nuisance, but it's an OK design to remove it. Aside from the whole idea that you have to drain oil out your intercooler hose to start with...!

5 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Zakowsky  hi to Canada. 

I am still having this smell. Not always I need to say. I doubt it’s coming from the intercooler Hose. I drain this regularly.  

We need to think about where else can be a possible cause. I believed it could be the smell of fume which is usually circulating in our crankcase vent hoses. Checking the PCV system again maybe could be a start 

Hi Thomas - maybe I should go over the PCV system again too. Actually I think I bought the same Russian oil/air separator diaphragm as you did (can't recall), and a while ago I did see a drip of oil from the cover. I pressed it on better and it stopped, but maybe there is something wrong inside. I don't like taking that thing apart, I broke one of the clip points last time I did.

Some more info. Checking for codes I found Bank 2: Camshaft A (Intake) P0021 - 008. Possible causes include "Sealing strips on inlet camshaft adjuster faulty". So the camshaft adjusters are under those black caps on the front of the valve covers (like your photo above Thomas), and I assume that is what it refers to.  But I'm not sure what they mean by sealing strips…it would be nice to think it is the o-rings that seal the electrical connectors where they come through the valve covers, but I'm thinking it's probably not that simple. And even if the oil leak was through the adjuster connector (and there is a bit of a leak there because it pools with oil), I'd probably have to take the valve covers off (and bend the cam finger tab in the process!). Cleared the code and will see if it comes back.