Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P1358 Camshaft Adjustment error

aveerdonk

Guys,

I have a 2001 996TT with 100.000km/~60.000miles.
Last week I had a P1358 without any strange behavior. I cleared it and the next morning it stuttered a bit in 2nd gear when leaving the house, without throwing any errors. I returned immediately and started studying all the possible posts related to Camshaft Adjustment Errors (P1358, P1357, P1348, P1349 etc…).

My angular values are as follows:

Cold
Idle: ~850rpm
Camshaft position 1 deviation: -3 degCrk
Camshaft position 2 deviation: -5.2 degCrk
Actual angle for camshaft, bank1: ~0.06 degCrk
Actual angle for camshaft, bank2: ~0.15 degCrk

Warm
Idle: ~850rpm
Camshaft position 1 deviation: -2 degCrk
Camshaft position 2 deviation: -4.8 degCrk
Actual angle for camshaft, bank1: ~0.06 degCrk
Actual angle for camshaft, bank2: ~0.15 degCrk

This morning I disconnected the (when in the car right hand bank, assuming #2) bank #2 solenoid or as called in the parts list “actuator valve” item#25 996.105.301.71. Expecting to get a P1358, instead I got P0022 and disconnecting item#23 I received P0023.

Not yet being able to reproduce it and reading about 0-6deg allowable range, my best hope is that the error (& stuttering the day after) was dirt?? and plan to do an oil & filter change, even though I’ve only done 2000-3000km (~1500miles). I’ll examine the oil-filter for any particles and will post the result.

Now to my questions….
Is there anything I can simulate to trigger the P1358 and better understand where it comes from ?
What would you suggest I do, without taking too much apart ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Arnaud

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

That is not good.  These engines can shed aluminum without a lot of concern, but ferrous debris is a sign of something more serious.  I would not be driving a turbo around that has ferrous debris in the engine as that Mezger lump is a bloody expensive unit to replace.  You need to find the source of this ferrous material and fix it before it tears up something very expensive.