Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
Koenbro

997 error codes 2187/2189 and high idle

2007 C4S with Tip and 58,000 miles

My CEL came on yesterday, due to codes 2187/2189. After a brief search on the internet,  loose oil/gas caps came up as possible causes. So I cleared the codes and tightened the caps, but the CEL came back a few  hours later.  

I also just noticed last night that, when idling in Park, it revs at ~1,100. In Drive with the break on and the car not moving (no pressure on the gas pedal) the idle revs drop to normal (around 700-800). Also the idle is a little rough. Any ideas what causes this? Thank you all.

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

I would have thought the revs drop between D and P was normal. P = no load D = torque converter ready to go? Also when in park it will be in open loop mode whilst in D it will be in closed loop with idle controlled by ECU etc. (Leastways that's the way I understand it to be?) initial high idle possibly due to an induction leak?

Edited by jl-c

Before this happened, the idle in P was around 750-800. This behavior (P idle ~1,110) is new, and, I believe, abnormal. 

Edited by Koenbro
typo

The codes indicate the engine is running lean. It would help if you could monitor the RKAT fuel trim with durametric or the short term fuel trim with a generic obdii scanner that can read sensor values in real-time.

Without those, you can check for intake vacuum leak like jl-c said. The engine is always in closed loop fuel control other than the short period at the very beginning of a cold start, regardless of the gear position. The DME watches the a/f ratio like a hawk so it makes sense to trust it and diagnose along that "lean condition" direction - too much air or too little fuel.

RKAT is stable at 6.984 for both banks. Just noticed that when in D and stopped, and want to get rolling and just feather the gas it sounds loud and rough (like a 1980's diesel) until the revs reach ~1,100, then it quiets down. 

Edited by Koenbro

Thank you Ahsai for your helpful replies, I will drop it off at the dealer today and see what they find. 

Dealer said a rubber sleeve leading to the intake came loose. They tightened it and that resolved the problem. 

Edited by Koenbro

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By IanT
      My 1998 Boxster suddenly had hot start issues where if left in the sun here in Texas for a few hours would then crank but not fire unless you kept cranking and pressed the throttle. No issues when starting cold. It had thrown some evap leak codes a few times and a secondary AI once but nothing consistent and would also suffer from idle issues if hot start was hard.

Having read many threads I decided that it was not fuel pressure related as in my experience fuel pumps either work or they do not and the same applies to the associated relay.

I read someone blocked off the valve under the lhs air intake plenum and when I did this the hot start problem disappeared but gave other idle issues.

I decided to replace this valve and in the process also decided to clean the throttle body and iacv when I discovered oil in the aos and j tube the aos was replaced 3 years ago.

Having replaced the valve and the aos the car appears to be running better than ever.

I had no white smoke issues or oil cap pressure test problems and the old valve was in the closed position when I removed it so that may not have been an issue.

This whole situation had gone on for many weeks and also gave air leak codes in both banks but using a smoke generator revealed no issues.
    • By Echapa13
      Hi I just bought a cayenne 3.2 V6 2006 base model, on my way home car was running fine, 
      second day morning went to put some gas and after getting home car idle was rough Stop the engine and start back on now the car start goes to 1000 rpm for 5 seconds and then start shaking going to 500 rpm or less for about 30 seconds then car it self try to correct and goes to 1100 rpm for the same 5 seconds and then back to the bad idle.
      If i press de gas pedal right after the start car goes fine without any issue to 4000 rpm for the same 5 seconds and then complete loose the power, back to the 500 Or less rpm. When the car try's  to correct back to the 1000rpm I can gas up to the 4000 rpm fine, is like a loop.

I have a Autel Scaner shows 1 code in the getaway
      code 532 power supply 

what i have done:
      new battery
      new coils and spark plugs 
      check fuel pump all good 
      check the spark in the coils 
      fix 2 vacuum pipes 

I have no idea of what else I live in Panama and I'm 600 miles away from the only Porsche dealer. I'm a mecanic but out of ideas now any help will be much appreciated 
      thanks 

• By pike1181
      Hey guys,

So I'm having this issue that is driving me crazy. My SAI (Secondary AIr Injection) and Oxygen Sensor are not reaching "Ready Status"

A little background about my car. 
      2006 Boxster S 3.2L
      FVD Exhaust system
      GMS Headers with 200 cell cats - has all 4 O2 sensors attached.
      996 throttle body and distribution hose
      ECU Tuning Group tune

I had the car up in BC Canada since 2009 (although it is a US car) and had no problems passing the sniffer and obdII tests - both before and after all the mods except for the ECU tune. 

I went to get my emissions testing done last week in Texas and failed due to the 2 systems being in not-ready status. I figured it might have to do with the cat delete ( ROW) configured in the tune. I sent my ECU back to ETG in California and had them re-flash my ECU in order to re-enable the O2 sensors. 
      I cleared all codes and figured I would start fresh. I drove the car about 120 miles and attempted to follow the drive cycle mentioned in the forums but it was really tough with the roads out here. Everything is in ready status except for the SAI, and the O2 sensor. I can manually start the SAI using the Durametric system so I would believe the pump is not bad; however, I'm not
      sure that I"m hearing the SAI start up when I cold start the engine.

For testing purposes I unplugged my O2 sensors from both bank1 and  bank2 and they both threw fault codes which confirms that the ECU tune re-activated my sensors. 

I've uploaded a few pictures with the results from a OBDII app as well as the Durametric Software to my Google Drive. I'm not quite sure how to interpret the Durametric Voltage results - especially the negative 50 V and -127V - seems quite odd. 
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ncE-o5M02DeUlLZVlxRV9hX3c

Any help or guidance will be appreciated as I'm out of ideas.  

Thanks,
      Joel

• By Knockout87
      H!

I have an 996 - 99mod manual 3,4L.

When i start up it seems like it misfires. It`s kind of a knocking sound. Sometimes it stops on idle.
      When i push the throttle for a ouple of seconds, it smokes a lot and then the knocking goes away. 
      After that, I let it Idle - but it slowly rises from 800rpm to around 2000rpm, then it drops to 800rpm again and do the same thing over and over again,

Does anybody have a clue?

This is the fault codes i found:

P1601  - CAN timeout - instrument cluster
      P0600 - CAN timeout Tiptronic
      P0102 Hot film MAF sensor (erased and didn`t come back)

60 - Central locking limit pos
      13 - Left door secured, but not locket
      14 - Left door secured, but not locket
      16 - Signal from airbag
      1 - Doors secures and terminal 15 on
      43 - passenger - side release stuck
      44 - Driver-side release stuck
      61 - Central locking limit position Unlock not reached

• By bacha
      Hello everybody, recently has the engine of my Cayenne V6 ( Bj. 2004) sounds like a diesel.
      The sound is subjectively from the left side of engine ( in direction of travel). Coupled to the noise is uneven running in the state .
      The error occurred suddenly and without warning after I turned off the engine and about 2 minutes later started again.
      I have read the following Durametric 2015_03_14_12_55_03_Cayenne Logfile.pdferror codes:

P0016 Position camshaft to the crankshaft Bank 1 - Upper limit value exceeded , test conditions are not- completed , fault is currently active and is not Causing a DTC light

P0300 Misfire detection checksum error - Implausible signal , test conditions are not- completed , fault is currently active and is not Causing a DTC light

P0305 Misfire detection cyl. 5 - Implausible signal , test conditions are not- completed , fault is currently active and is not Causing a DTC light
      P0303 Misfire detection cyl. 3 - Implausible signal , test conditions are not- completed , fault is currently active and is not Causing a DTC light P0304 Misfire detection cyl. 4 - Implausible signal , test conditions are not- completed , fault is currently active and is not Causing a DTC light

The measurements show strong deviations between the actual and setpoint ignition (partly > 16 ° ) and on all cylinders misfiring. Only on  cylinder 4 absolutely no misfire is detected ( feather edge . But does not the evaluation ? ).

At a higher speed, the deviation is significantly lower , but as soon as I go by the gas engine almost dies off.

The data I 've attached a table as pdf.

The engine is 140 thousand kilometers. At 100 TKM the complete timing chain drive incl. Camshaft adjuster was renewed ( elongated chain). Since then, the engine ran flawlessly and without any disturbance.
      I have checked the throttle and the LMM expanded and completely cleaned. The timing chain tensioner I have also expanded and it appears OK ( Piston moves freely ).
      The oil is inside for 9 tkm , spark plugs for 40 thousand kilometers.

A car mechanic told me in a rough diagnosis everything points to disguised timing out ( timing chain ). In this context : Can the intake manifold (sorry I just remembered no better word , meaning the part in which distributes the air and is passed to the motor ) Remove without expanding the engine(to remove the valve cover ) ? Seems rather hard installed ?

Does anyone have an idea on what the error or the running behavior might even suggest ? Timing chain would of course be the meltdown ... motor out etc .... Would be glad if I could get some input. Thank you in advance in advance

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.