Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How To: Removal of airbag stickers on sunvisors

• Moderators

How To: Removal of airbag stickers on sunvisors

In our modern litigious world, manufacturers have learned that they must advise the users of their product of everything that might hurt them by using the product no matter how stupid it is, so when the users do hurt themselves, blame the manufacturer, and demand compensation, the manufacturer can say they warned them. Thus everything these days from cars to coffee cups have warning stickers of some sort on them. So it is with airbags, and every car owner in the US is blessed with stickers on th

• Upvote 1

I just did it and used "GOOF OFF", which is available at Home Depot to remove the adhesive, did a great job too. Thank you, visors are perfect and clean.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
i got something called denaturated alcohol - would it work or is it too strong? thx...

Go over to your drug store and get a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol. It is under a $1. Denatured alcohol will work, but it will tend to discolor the vinyl that covers the sunvisor.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I must have the only car where the original owner ordered optional leather sunvisors instead of vinyl. What do you think I can use to remove the warning label without damaging the leather? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• 1 year later...

The 91% isopropyl trick works perfect!!! BUT, I wouldn't EVER use Goof-off on the plastic mirror lid. It WILL dissolve the plastic along with the adhesive. I used it because Izzy above said it works and I already had it and ruined one mirror back. The 3M adhsive remover does not damage the same plastic. FWIW, do not use EITHER cleaner to remove any adhesive left on the soft cushiony vinyl of the dash or doors!!!!.. Both remove the matte top coat and reveal the shiny vinyl underneath..thank goodness I tried it on and inconspicuoous place first!!!!

Edited by perryinva

If U concerned about getting your leather damaged, U can always use those air bag labe lcover.

No alchohol rubbing is needed,just peel the sticker & apply

I must have the only car where the original owner ordered optional leather sunvisors instead of vinyl. What do you think I can use to remove the warning label without damaging the leather? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
I have a 986 Boxster and the visors do not swivel plus they are lighted. My understanding is in order to remove them I would have to cut the wiring. Does anyone know if this is true?

I want to get rid of those warning labels real bad.

Probably not. take a look at the clips that hold the visor in. When they are removed, there is an electrical connector behind them that just unplugs. What year is your Boxster?

I have a 986 Boxster and the visors do not swivel plus they are lighted. My understanding is in order to remove them I would have to cut the wiring. Does anyone know if this is true?

No, you remove two torx bolts on one side and one torx screw on the other (use your fingernail or small screwdriver to lift the plastic cover). Then simply pull the whole visor off. --Brian

Thanks for the great DIY project..I hate those **** stickers, and was planning on covering them until I read you post. My visors on my MY00 Boxster required the following to remove: 2 bolts, and 1 screw

Bolts were removed withT30H, screw removed with T20H...very simply done after "fliping" plastic tab to revel concealed bolt; side closest to rearview mirror. See attached photo. Thanks again for the steps on this project. NVYMED

Thanks for the great article. On my MY00 Boxster it requires the removal of three bolts for each visor. T30, and T20. there is a little tab that flips open, to reveal the concealed bolt. No electrical wires to disconnect. see attached photos. Thanks again for the great article. NVTMED

Probably not. take a look at the clips that hold the visor in. When they are removed, there is an electrical connector behind them that just unplugs. What year is your Boxster?

It is a 2001, I will check it out.

Thanks.

Ooops - I should of read all previous posts.

Sounds good thanks to all.

Edited by gregtachyon

• 1 month later...