Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric Will Not Read DME

I have a 01 996 turbo. 3 year old durametric cable, newest s/w on windows 10. Durametric used to be able to read the DME, perform activations, etc. Now it will not read the DME and the car runs poorly. I suspect something is up with the ECU and perhaps that is why Durametric has stopped working. Is there a logical way to sort this out ?

Thank You

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, killerbee said:

I have a 01 996 turbo. 3 year old durametric cable, newest s/w on windows 10. Durametric used to be able to read the DME, perform activations, etc. Now it will not read the DME and the car runs poorly. I suspect something is up with the ECU and perhaps that is why Durametric has stopped working. Is there a logical way to sort this out ?

Thank You

Question:  Is the car running the factory DME software, or has it been reflashed?

• Moderators

OK, we have had issues with reflashed DME's.  Window's 10 should not be the issue, I run Durametric Pro on two Windows 10 machines in the shop without any issue.

As a next step, I would try reading the DME with a simple OBD II scanner, if you don't have one, many auto parts stores will lend you one.  If that does not connect, you have an internal issue in the car.

I called durametric today and it appears that it is working correctly. The real problem appears to be Kline1 not working correctly. I was able to connect to the Alarm and airbag that is on Kline2. Now the question has become how to diagnose this and what are the likely causes. Is there a thread that addresses this issue ?

• Moderators

Usually, K line related issues are an electrical connection type fault.  It could be a harness connector or something on the line, like a controller, that is killing the communications.  This is going to require obtaining a wiring diagram for the vehicle and then start checking each component and connection on the suspect line.  This could require pulling the dash and other sections of the car apart.

If I remember correctly, the diagnostic line for the DME runs from the OBD2 port to the Alarm Module, and from there to the DME behind the rear seats.  If you can connect to the Alarm, then there might be a break in the wire to the DME.  Between the Alarm Module and DME is a plug connection under the carpets in the rear footwell.  (21 pin, I think).  It might be worth checking that for corrosion, as I have seen it happen once before.

I have looked thru the 2001 wiring for the 996tt diagram that is floating around. I'd like to confirm what I am looking for so I can trace the run from the OBD port to the alarm to the DME. The k-line pin is #7 on the OBD plug and corresponds to an OG/BK orange/black wire. This wire connects to the "CU ALARM-CL" (AKA M525 module, alarm or immobilizer) on pin A2 (drawing labeled "K Lead" ) and enters as an orange/black wire. The line exits the alarm module via pin A23 as an Orange/White (drawing labeled "W Lead"). It enters the DME on pin A3 as a Orange/White lead (drawing labeled "W-Lead"). Given that this is a single lead I assume that the return is via a ground common to all the units. 

Also the term CU is everywhere on the wiring drawings, what is it an acronym for ? Also the 2nd attached file highlights a symbol and some numbers from the wiring diagram, any idea what they represent. Perhaps its a connector ?

Richard: The Pin 21 reference points to a specific location, drawing reference ?

Thank you for your help gentlemen

obd-kline-996tt.jpg

wiring-symbol.JPG

Edited by killerbee

The plug/socket connection I refer to is plug number X2/3 in your diagram at the bottom.  On my wiring diagrams, it shows as a 30 pin plug (not 21 as I guessed before).

However, on second thought, if that connection was broken the car probably wouldn't start, as I believe it uses the W line to transmit the security code from alarm to DME.

• 3 weeks later...

After much messing around it appears that some of the pins in the OBD2 port are not getting proper contact. I pulled the fuse box cover and surround then reattached the durametric and it was able to read the DME. When the panel and port are reassembled the power light on the durametric connector is intermittent and clearly so are the connections to some of the other pins. I think its likely that the problem is on the 911 side of things. Rather then mess with all the pins in the connector what pins are required for communication with the DME ? Is this a common problem ?

REG_8287.jpgOBDII_Pinout.jpg

Edited by killerbee

You already have the pin out of the OBD port in your wiring diagram above.  I typed it out here again for your reference:

1: Switched 12v

3: K-line 2 (abs, airbag, psm, etc.)

4: Ground (body)

5: Ground (electronics)

7: K-line 1 (alarm->DME)

9: TN signal (square pule rpm signal)

16: Permanent 12v (always hot and connected to the battery)

Sound like the power/ground to the port is flaky so I suggest you focus on pins 1, 4, 5, and 16. Durametric uses these pins and pins 3 and 7 to communicate with the two K-line buses. With Durametric plugged in and with key ON engine OFF, the two K-line should measure around +12v.