Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

On the Eve Before Christmas the Gremlins Gave to Me...

Morning Big. Coffee?:cheers: 

It's got just under 131K miles. Not sure what let loose. The fan is spraying oil all over the place so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. I'm thinking it's one or possibly both head gaskets because the coolant definitely has oil in it, thankfully not a lot but it's in there. Some how it doesn't smell like fuel though, still smells like fresh sweet coolant so this is definitely a new thing. Odd thing is I've still got decent power delivery and gitty-up! No bangs, bucks, CEL, hard starting, only a low oil light and then the discovery. Both valve cover gaskets were already weeping and I had an appointment scheduled next week to remedy those anyway. They seem to last about 2 years because every two years at this same time I have to have them changed. I was planning on doing a full fluid and filter swap anyway. I guess now I'll plan on doing a rebuild or engine swap. Well, at least Santa has a sense of humor then:censored:

4 hours ago, GSpence2 said:

Morning Big. Coffee?:cheers: 

It's got just under 131K miles. Not sure what let loose. The fan is spraying oil all over the place so it's hard to tell where it's coming from. I'm thinking it's one or possibly both head gaskets because the coolant definitely has oil in it, thankfully not a lot but it's in there. Some how it doesn't smell like fuel though, still smells like fresh sweet coolant so this is definitely a new thing. Odd thing is I've still got decent power delivery and gitty-up! No bangs, bucks, CEL, hard starting, only a low oil light and then the discovery. Both valve cover gaskets were already weeping and I had an appointment scheduled next week to remedy those anyway. They seem to last about 2 years because every two years at this same time I have to have them changed. I was planning on doing a full fluid and filter swap anyway. I guess now I'll plan on doing a rebuild or engine swap. Well, at least Santa has a sense of humor then:censored:

This stinks of a oil cooler failure! 

You better hope I'm right cos that is a lot cheaper than double head gaskets, ask me how I know. 

Merry Xmas. 

Well one thing we know for sure, the intake plenum is cracked. Tech smoked the engine first and the hose going to the AOS is leaking too as are several other lines. He hypothesizes that the cracked plemun caused an over-pressure condition in the system and may have damaged the VVT actuator because the tapping noise is coming from the right side (looking head-on engine) valve cover and from the center front engine cover (timing chain?). The forward portion of the gasket is where the main oil leak is coming from. They're tearing it down now to get a look at the oil cooler, etc...

I'll keep ya posted.

P1000121.JPG

P1000122.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. Sorry I posted a reply on the wrong thread. Update. Engine out and what mess. Long story short the timing chain is stretched t least one guide has broken the idlers are worn the coolant pipes seals are leaking the valve cover gaskets were leaking the breather hoses were broken and the exhaust is worn. I decided to install sport cats rear cat bypasses and a sport pipes. I'll keep ya posted.

P1010287.JPG

P1010282-1.JPG

P1010281-1.JPG

P1010280.JPG

P1010277.JPG

P1010216.JPG

P1010217.JPG

P1010275-1.JPG

P1010211.JPG

P1010209.JPG

• 2 weeks later...