Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Pics: Spot anything out of the ordinary?

Hi - I am a new member and looking for my first 997. I have found a 06 997 Carrera out of state with 40k miles. The dealer has sent a few photos of the engine before I fly out for a PPI. Having no expierence with 911's yet, I wanted some expert eyes to see if they saw anything that should concern me, particularly:

- the stains/burn marks on the oil pan

- stains around the oil filter (20170106_153108,20170106_153101) 

- oil to the right of the filter, transmission? (20170106_153108)

- rusty muffle manifold 

- rusty break rotors (i read that was normal after a wash)

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

20170106_153254.jpg

20170106_153120.jpg

20170106_153328.jpg

20170106_153052.jpg

20170106_153306.jpg

20170106_152929.jpg

20170106_153150.jpg

20170106_153319.jpg

20170106_153101.jpg

20170106_153215.jpg

20170106_153108.jpg

43225478926.434612827.IM1.14.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

@ThxRick congrats on the new purchase! Love to hear your experience and anything you found during the ppi. 

This is car is located in Texas, I am in SF. Waiting for some more info from the seller before I head down. Rac performance in Plano is 15 minutes from the seller and was recommended on the forum to do the ppi. 

• Upvote 1

OK...I saw the "rust" and was wondering if it was a NE car. TX is good....

Funny thing...I was buying mine from a Merc/Audi/Porsche dealer so I thought a PPI was not warranted. Poor on my part. I found an Indy in Jacksonville (prior to buying it) and he suggested I bring it to him after purchase. I asked the Sales Mgr for a short warranty and he agreed: 30 days/1000 miles. PPI came out great. The car does have a slow cranking issue. It cranks like the battery is near death...turns out it's a harness. There was a TSB put out on it a few years ago and it's been a problem. The dealer is reimbursing me for that.

Let us know how the PPI goes. I assume its a great price to go to TX for purchase? What is the plan? Drive it back or ship?

The car was listed for $34k but seller will take ~$31 and <$1k to ship to SF. Is a stock '06 6sp with 40k miles and 19" "sport design" wheels. Clean CarFax and looks like 3 owners all in the south. I found another stock '06 with 33k miles from a SF dealer but it sold last week for $34k. Two others in the running are a '06 S (+PASM, sport chrono) with 32k miles for ~$40k and a '09 997.2 in SF with 56k miles for ~$40k (+PASM, sport chrono). 

As this is my first Porsche I'm leaning towards the cheaper '06 to get my feat wet. Its less than a Honda...which is how I explained it to my wife ;-)

Edited by SuperG