Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lower mileage vs Porsche Certified Pre-owned

I posted recently about a 2007 Cayman I was looking at but I decided not to go for it after two different local shops warned against buying a 987.1 (I know there is plenty of debate over that in other posts). Regardless, I have decided to start looking at 2009+ Caymans.  I've found a couple of cars that are basically the same price. One of them has 48K miles. The other has 68K miles but it is Certified Pre-owned which means it will effectively have a 2yr / 32K mi warranty (odometer + 50K, but they cap it at 100K). 68K is definitely more miles than I was initially looking for, but the CPO is certainly appealing.  I will be using this car as my "daily driver". However, I don't drive a car every day. I make a few small trips here and there during the week to the store or restaurant and then once per week I drive about 100 miles round trip for work. So, at this point, I'm probably putting about 6k-7k miles per year on my car. So, I would basically get 2 years of warranty because there's no way I'll put 32K mi on the car in 2 years.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Anyone out there have an opinion on this? The 987.2 Cayman's should be capable of 200+K miles right? (with proper maintenance) So, I'm leaning toward the CPO but just wanted to get others' thoughts. I an concerned that the CPO might not be all its cracked up to be if the small print requires all oil changes to happen at a Porsche dealership or something crazy like that. However, I haven't been able to find the fine print out there anywhere....

Anyone out there have an opinion on this? The 987.2 Cayman's should be capable of 200+K miles right? (with proper maintenance) So, I'm leaning toward the CPO but just wanted to get others' thoughts. I an concerned that the CPO might not be all its cracked up to be if the small print requires all oil changes to happen at a Porsche dealership or something crazy like that. However, I haven't been able to find the fine print out there anywhere....

CPO doesn't restrict where you can do maintenance. You don't say whether the CPO car is offered by a Porsche dealer or not, or when it was CPO'ed. If it is not offered by a dealer, I would have the PPI done by a dealer who can advise you precisely about what the warranty covers. If it has been a while since the original CPO, the overrev report is critical, because if there are overrevs beyond level 3, then the engine warranty is worthless--Don't ask me how I know--and that means that the principal value of the warranty is therefore shot. Beyond that, the extra mileage may come into play, because regular wear and tear is not covered anyway. Just my $.02, but that's what you asked for. Good luck either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jim. It's good to know there are no restrictions on the service. I am buying from a Porsche dealer and the CPO was just done by them. So, the warranty will begin when I purchase it. The dealer is about a 7 hour drive from me so I'm strongly considering still having a PPI done by a foreign car shop (just to keep the dealer honest) and then having the car shipped to me. So, if they are following the rules, the dealer cannot give it a CPO if the overrevs have exceeded level 3 right? 

Thanks Jim. It's good to know there are no restrictions on the service. I am buying from a Porsche dealer and the CPO was just done by them. So, the warranty will begin when I purchase it. The dealer is about a 7 hour drive from me so I'm strongly considering still having a PPI done by a foreign car shop (just to keep the dealer honest) and then having the car shipped to me. So, if they are following the rules, the dealer cannot give it a CPO if the overrevs have exceeded level 3 right? 

Correct. There are also other reassurances with CPO, like only a limited amount of bodywork,etc. I am a little surprised that they would CPO a car with that much mileage, but if you got it, you got it! Hope it all goes great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk