Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1974 Targa/Cab conversion

hokunohoaupuni

Hello all,

A listing popped up for a 1974 911T.  It was converted from a Targa to a cabriolet with the top appearing to be in good condition still.  Ad states that it's a rust-free car with an incorrect odometer (showing 5200 which was reset after cab conversion).  It's in running condition, but the current owner says the break cylinder leaks.  I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow and would like to go as prepared as I can and know what to look for.  Below is the chassis and engine numbers if they help at all?  They're asking € 25.000 and I'd like to have an arguement ready to bring that price down if it's not worth that much.  Interior looks great, paint is in great condition as far as I can tell but any additional insight would be immensely helpful!  Thanks in advance

Chassis 9114112441
Engine 6403889

Apologies for my mistype, Loren.  The 'T' was intended to mean that this car was originally a targa model and was later converted to a cabriolet.  

If it's acceptable via forum rules, I'd be happy to post the listing with all the pictures to include the original state of the car pre-cab conversion.

From the sump plate looks like an early motor. 2.7 is not a good choice for anybody except those in the real know.  Lower front valance/fog lights from a +84 I think, same with rear impact bumperettes, interior appears to be a mishmash from different years. Who knows how the body was reinforced after removal of targa bar which is a structural item.  '74 is pre galvanized body. In the USA or Canada, this car would be classified as marginal at 18,000 usd IMO. Keep your money. Do some more research here and on Pelican Parts 911 general discussion forum. You can do better with a relatively unmolested fully galvanized '78 or later SC 3.0 or later Carrera 3.2. Do your research and get yourself a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic to do your PPI. 

Johan

35 minutes ago, Uwon said:

From the sump plate looks like an early motor. 2.7 is not a good choice for anybody except those in the real know.  Lower front valance/fog lights from a +84 I think, same with rear impact bumperettes, interior appears to be a mishmash from different years. Who knows how the body was reinforced after removal of targa bar which is a structural item.  '74 is pre galvanized body. In the USA or Canada, this car would be classified as marginal at 18,000 usd IMO. Keep your money. Do some more research here and on Pelican Parts 911 general discussion forum. You can do better with a relatively unmolested fully galvanized '78 or later SC 3.0 or later Carrera 3.2. Do your research and get yourself a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic to do your PPI

Johan

Much appreciated insight, Johan!  I'll have a look over on Pelican Parts as well.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Uwon said:

From the sump plate looks like an early motor. 2.7 is not a good choice for anybody except those in the real know.  Lower front valance/fog lights from a +84 I think, same with rear impact bumperettes, interior appears to be a mishmash from different years. Who knows how the body was reinforced after removal of targa bar which is a structural item.  '74 is pre galvanized body. In the USA or Canada, this car would be classified as marginal at 18,000 usd IMO. Keep your money. Do some more research here and on Pelican Parts 911 general discussion forum. You can do better with a relatively unmolested fully galvanized '78 or later SC 3.0 or later Carrera 3.2. Do your research and get yourself a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic to do your PPI

Johan

The larger rear bumperettes came out in 1976 (I had a 76 911S). Likewise with the side view mirror - 74 and 75 had the smaller chrome ones (at least in the US they did).

I agree a "mixed" version for sure.

Just to close out this thread.

The car is in Good condition.  The engine was swapped out to a '80 3.0 from an SC and runs strong and starts easy. The top is in Excellent condition with two "keys" to release the latches.  The fenders were tacked on, but I don't think they blended the welds very well since you can see where they tacked.  All-in-all, it appeared to be a decent car if you're not looking for the appreciate that the name has had as of late. But without him budging on the price, I'm going to take Johan's suggestion and pass it up.  Thanks again for all the input gentlemen!

Anthony