Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mystery Rubber Washer (Air Filter)

So today I changed my air filter. When I pulled the filter out there were a couple of leaves underneath as well as a rubber washer. 

I'm assuming this is road debris, that somehow found its way into the air intake. But I wanted to double check with people smarter than me regarding 996s just to make sure this isn't a part of the rear spoiler wing or something else close by that could have fallen into the air intake. I replaced my rubber bellows under the spoiler wing, and don't remember seeing a part like this, but figured it wouldn't hurt to check I didn't dislodge something.  

If anyone recognizes it as a part of a 996, please let me know, so I don't throw out a part for my car unknowingly. Key for scale:

20170215_132958_resized.jpg

Edited by Myotis

First,  I would not worry about it.  Second, take down the picture of your key.  Copies can be made from a picture.  It would not have the RFID pill to disarm the security system, but some nut case could get access to your car.  Use a ruler or something else.

11 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

First,  I would not worry about it.  Second, take down the picture of your key.  Copies can be made from a picture.  It would not have the RFID pill to disarm the security system, but some nut case could get access to your car.  Use a ruler or something else.

Thanks DBJoe. I posted from my phone and didn't notice the writing in the picture. I wasn't paying attention. I have at least 4 tape measures (zero rulers) around here, but none were to be found when I took the picture (I'd love to blame someone else for moving them from their designated areas, but it was probably me). Modifications made to photo, as I'm too lazy to go back and take another one.

Has such a thing ever happened with keys? I'm curious to know. I'm not actually worried someone would go through the trouble of paying to have a key made, finding out where my $15000 car is garaged and breaking in (the garage has CCTV and an alarm with motion detectors, oddly enough), removing the lock cover on the car door, and using the key to enter the car; meanwhile the car alarm is going off and the garage alarm is going off and if they try to start it, the immobilizer kicks in. The only thing of value inside to steal inside the car would be maybe my offbrand dashcam and maybe my prescription sunglasses if I didn't leave them in another car. It would be quite the elaborate caper, but there are much easier and effective ways to ***** me off, if that was their goal.

• Moderators

This rubber washer is not genuine, two original parts are required which fit in to the rear crossbar (air filter rest) the two pins, at the bottom of the filter housing, fit exactly in the with rubber provided holes without causing noises as rattle and squeak.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:59 PM, rockhouse66 said:

On my car, there are two washers like that behind the rear license plate plastic plate.  Between the plate and the body.  Not sure how one would end up where you found it though?  Anyway, another place to look.

Interesting. Mine doesn't have a plastic plate or washers behind the plate - it just screws right into the body. I wonder if a previous owner went to change plates and set the washer on the spoiler grill and it fell inside, and since he couldn't find all the parts, just got rid of the plastic plate completely, and I never knew I was missing it.