Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a more basic question on the changing of the fluid - are most people replacing the drain and fill plugs with new when doing the change?  OR reusing your plugs.  If reusing, are you putting any sealer on the plugs?

We have a 2011 Hybrid S with 85K on it and I plan on changing the fluid this weekend.

34 minutes ago, tominboise said:

I have a more basic question on the changing of the fluid - are most people replacing the drain and fill plugs with new when doing the change?  OR reusing your plugs.  If reusing, are you putting any sealer on the plugs?

We have a 2011 Hybrid S with 85K on it and I plan on changing the fluid this weekend.

I just did this for the 4th time, and have not replaced plugs or applied new sealant, and have never seen any leaks.

Be very careful and do not overtorque on reinstallation. IIRC its 15 ft-lbs.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi: I decided to change the transfer case fluid because I also had strange things happening. I thought the power steering pump might be going, a whining grinding noise when turning the wheels. I also experienced that when (tiptronic) downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the engine would rev upwards, then the car would coast, then the revs would go up again as it resumed decelerating. I also noticed resistance to moving forward or backwards from a stop if the wheels were turned (as in parking or leaving a parking space).

Several You Tube videos used different kinds of "oil" in the transfer case. My research indicated that Ravenol ATC Synthetic Transfer Fluid TF-0870 from Amazon.com was an acceptable fluid. The bottle actually lists the Porsche 000 043 301 36 Cayenne Transfer Case PL72 T  and 000 043 305 63 Porsche Macan 958 & Cayenne 92A as appropriate applications for this product. The Ravenol has a cap with a tube attached. You don,t need a fluid pump, just open the bottle per instructions and you are ready to insert the Transfer fluid into the case. The procedure made an engine oil change seem difficult by comparison. Remove the fill plug, have a catch basin ready & remove the drain plug, wait for the fluid to drain, replace the drain plug (carefully so as not to overtighten) insert the Ravenol fill tube from the bottle into the fill hole, stop when the fluid begins leaking out, replace the fill plug (again do not overtighten, note that it sticks out some before removing) and you're done. The cup on the left is used, on the right as it comes from the Ravenol bottle. Happy Motoring

Transfer Case Fluid Side.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I found this thread, luckily, and wanted to report my symptoms and outcome with my 2013 CTT with the GIAC tune and the Tubi exhaust. The car was originally from Florida (reads hot temps) and the TC had been replaced at 45k.

The car would make a clunking sound on slow, sharp left turns...initially, and then developed a strange stutter in 3rd and 4th gears. The acceleration did NOT feel smooth at all. I decided to go with the fluid to see if it would solve my issue. Bingo! I have only done a single change and one short test drive, but it feels night and day. My old fluid was very black!

deilenberger, I pulled the last table update and wanted to add my success to the list! Thanks to all for this thread!

Year      Model       Mileage       Location    AT/MT    Fluid             Remedy     ForumUserName      FIX WAS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012      V6           105,000       TX, USA     MT       Raveonl TF0870     Y       ChrisFu                     Fluid Change
2012      V6             40,000       CA, USA     AT       Porsche OEM          Y       Steph280                  Fluid Change
2011      CTT           93,700       IL, USA      AT       Ravenol TF0870      Y       pastorom                   Fluid Change
2011      CTT           72,000       NJ USA      AT       Porsche - 63            Y       deilenberger              Fluid Change

2012      CTT            45,300      MD  USA    AT       Porsche OEM         Y        BweSteve                  New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            31,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            61,000      VA, USA    AT        Porsche OEM         Y        CarGuyNVA              New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      CS              30,000      London GB  ?        Porsche OEM          Y        Greenwich07            New XFerCase (Warranty)

2011      CTT            70,000      SC, USA    AT       Motul DCTF             Y        ktr6                            Fluid Change

2011      CTT            69,500      TX, USA     AT      Porsche OEM           Y       Kricci                         New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      Base V6     55,000      NC, USA    AT       Porsche OEM           Y       Qu4ttro                      New XFerCase (Warranty)

2012      CS              52,000     TX/KY USA AT      Porsche OEM           Y        Mike 41                     New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      GTS           13,000      CA, USA    AT       Porsche OEM           Y        pburt 03                    New XFerCase (Warranty)

2012      CS              53,000      IL, USA      AT      Porsche OEM           Y       Northshore911          New XFerCase (Warranty)

2013      CTT            69,000      RI, USA     AT       Porsche - 63            Y        bhave                           Fluid Change

Cheers!!

Edited by bhave

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Adding to the list.

2011 S, 126k miles

9/15/2016 had the transfer case replaced at a local dealer, 84k miles

Yesterday was told I need a new transfer case again @ 126k miles. Seems a bit crazy. I have never replaced a transfer case on any other vehicles I have owned. Now 2 in less that 4 years on the same vehicle. 

I have contacted Porsche NA for some sort of relief. I don't have any expectations.

I would also ask, is it crazy difficult to replace myself? I am fairly capable. Also, can I do it on jack stands or does it sort of require a lift?

Thanks,

-Eric

Edited by EricP

2 hours ago, EricP said:

Hi All,

Adding to the list.

2011 S, 126k miles

9/15/2016 had the transfer case replaced at a local dealer, 84k miles

Yesterday was told I need a new transfer case again @ 126k miles. Seems a bit crazy. I have never replaced a transfer case on any other vehicles I have owned. Now 2 in less that 4 years on the same vehicle. 

I have contacted Porsche NA for some sort of relief. I don't have any expectations.

I would also ask, is it crazy difficult to replace myself? I am fairly capable. Also, can I do it on jack stands or does it sort of require a lift?

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric

Did you attempt a simple fluid change at home first? I would venture that on a new case with only 40k miles on it, the clutch packs probably have plenty of material remaining.

I am the first entry on the thread list when I posted 3 years ago, my Cayenne V6 MT had 105,000 miles on it at the time with terrible jerk and shudder symptoms.

I replaced with Ravenol TF0870 right away and subsequently annually with every oil change. I am now over 155,000 miles and still driving fine with absolutely no issues (other than an audible bit of chain noise at low speed).

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, ChrisFu said:

Eric

Did you attempt a simple fluid change at home first? I would venture that on a new case with only 40k miles on it, the clutch packs probably have plenty of material remaining.

I am the first entry on the thread list when I posted 3 years ago, my Cayenne V6 MT had 105,000 miles on it at the time with terrible jerk and shudder symptoms.

I replaced with Ravenol TF0870 right away and subsequently annually with every oil change. I am now over 155,000 miles and still driving fine with absolutely no issues (other than an audible bit of chain noise at low speed).

I would have to agree with this assessment.  Porsche tends to be wildly over optimistic about lubricant life spans, particularly involving components that do not have lubricant cooling.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 958nmore said:

I was told today by Pelican Parts that Shell makes the TC fluid for Porsche. I went ahead and ordered a couple of bottles for 2 changes I'll be doing in the next 6 months. Shell TF-0870.

You need to understand something about pelican, they have a long history of stretching the truth, particularly about what is factory and what isn't..  Yes, a Shell division makes the fluid for Porsche, but it is made to Porsche specs for Porsche exclusively, and not available through any other source but Porsche.  So whatever they sold you may be made by Shell, but if it isn't bearing a Porsche label and in Porsche packaging, it is not the same thing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for the advice. I had ordered new TC oil (Ravenol) and the additive and was going to change my transfer case oil this weekend, but I got this email today so I will wait until they replace the TC and will then check/change oil. 

Dear Mr. Peterson, 

Thank you for your patience while I reviewed your case internally. I apologize for the delay in my response but I am happy to prove you with a case update. 

PCNA announced an extended warranty on the transfer box for certain Porsche makes, years, and models. This warranty went live within the last week and we are currently in the process of establishing our third party processing department for reimbursement and repair claims. While we are unable to provide you a direct resolution regarding your recent repair of your transfer box, we are happy to say that you will be receiving a letter in the mail within the next 1-3 weeks with detailed steps on submitting a claim. 

Additionally, please consult with your dealership regarding your transfer box repair that is still needed. They are in the best position to advise on this new warranty, your current coverage, and updated costs especially now that all of our systems have been updated to reflect these warranties.

Wow! That took long enough but I am very curious to hear what they ultimately have come out with as far as coverage is concerned. This was obviously a design issue from the start and while I may sell my car before it needs a third transfer case I no doubt think at some point it likely will.

Good luck to those currently in need of one, and to all of you lined up for possible reimbursement.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my TC replaced Tuesday, fully covered. I brought it in last month 1 day before the warranty (the new one) expired, talk about good timing! At that, it took several days to get it approved as I do have over 100k miles and even though it is unlimited, they do push back by default on anything with over 100k miles.

NOW I get to see if I will be reimbursed for the 2016 TC replacement I paid for, just waiting for the letter to arrive.

6 hours ago, EricP said:

I had my TC replaced Tuesday, fully covered. I brought it in last month 1 day before the warranty (the new one) expired, talk about good timing! At that, it took several days to get it approved as I do have over 100k miles and even though it is unlimited, they do push back by default on anything with over 100k miles.

NOW I get to see if I will be reimbursed for the 2016 TC replacement I paid for, just waiting for the letter to arrive.

So this new TC warranty coverage is unlimited mileage per what you were told by the service folks you worked with?

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I decided to go to my local Porsche dealer (Porsche of Grapevine) and speak with a service advisor there regarding the TC issue and rumors of recent changes to the warranty.

I am happy to report that yes, the TC warranty has indeed been extended by Porsche to 10 years from the date of purchase. This is regardless of mileage. I was also told that the TC replacement unit that will be installed for these warranty coverage services is another new revision that should remedy the failure issues. Time will tell on that, but I was excited to learn that my Cayenne can get a new case for no charge to me.

The only issue is that after all of the repeated oil swaps I have done over the years, the case no longer really exhibits many of the severe symptoms that caused me to attempt to fix myself in the first place. There are a battery of tests the dealer will perform on the vehicle, so I am hopeful that the loud chain noises and occasional hiccup will exceed the threshold for me to qualify - as we all know that anyone with any revision of the current cases are driving timebombs.

(It was also a little humorous when I took my 958 in, as literally zero of the entire dealership staff had ever seen a manual Cayenne, and they were flocking to check it out. It was getting more attention than the 2 $300k speedsters and 918 nearby!)