Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Battery Cable, Windows and Top not Working

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, when I turn the key once to the right, the doors lock and the red light on the radio is blinking. The horn beeps once only if I turn the key twice to the right. I disconnected the battery and discharged the car, when I reconnected there was still no alarm faults. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

I never had a working remote, and I'm pretty sure whenever I turned the key twice in the past it beeped. At this point I'm not convinced it's the alarm, but I'm open to any other tests. Would the convertible top relay have anything to do with the windows?]

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

So update since last post, I had to take my car to Porsche as a local Indie dealer said I needed a alarm module and new Key. $1200 later my windows are working! The top is still not working though and the windows won't drop when opening the latch. I found a post somewhere on testing the relay panel (where the double convertible top relay plugs in), and it seems that when checking voltage on pins 23 and 13, and the roof latch is open, I should get 12 volts, and I am not (all other tests passed). So I assumed it was the roof latch micro switch and changed it out, twice, and nothing, so I checked the original switch with my multimeter and the switches are functional. I assume at this point that either the wiring got fried, or could it be that those pins on the relay panel got fried? I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this. Also, the function when turning the key in the door to drop or raise the windows is not working, I am not sure if these are connected problems. Please help!

Thanks

On 5/3/2017 at 10:58 AM, AviSalem said:

Hi All,

So update since last post, I had to take my car to Porsche as a local Indie dealer said I needed a alarm module and new Key. $1200 later my windows are working! The top is still not working though and the windows won't drop when opening the latch. I found a post somewhere on testing the relay panel (where the double convertible top relay plugs in), and it seems that when checking voltage on pins 23 and 13, and the roof latch is open, I should get 12 volts, and I am not (all other tests passed). So I assumed it was the roof latch micro switch and changed it out, twice, and nothing, so I checked the original switch with my multimeter and the switches are functional. I assume at this point that either the wiring got fried, or could it be that those pins on the relay panel got fried? I am looking for suggestions on how to approach this. Also, the function when turning the key in the door to drop or raise the windows is not working, I am not sure if these are connected problems. Please help!

Thanks

Anyone?

5 minutes ago, Loren said:

Just to be clear the alarm issue and the top issue or two different issues.

Does your handbrake light come and off when applied and released?

Sorry Loren, I was just trying to get your attention ;)

The alarm has been replaced and works at this point for lowering and raising the windows with the switches. 

The brake light does go on and off as it should.

1 minute ago, Loren said:

A Porsche PST2 or PIWIS have quite a few more options and tests they can perform on tops.

Hmm I really don't want to go back to the dealer as I just spent  $1,200 with the alarm system and new key. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can perform myself? Right now when I test the voltage on the 3 pin connector that connects to the latch I only get 4.5v. Like I wrote earlier, I failed step #8 on the relay test.

16 minutes ago, Loren said:

You are just guessing without one of these tools - and that can get expensive fast when you buy parts you do not need.

Most good Porsche independent shops have one of these tools.

Thanks Loren, I'm definitely not looking to throw parts at it, I'm just hoping and searching for any way to troubleshoot myself.

11 minutes ago, Loren said:

Unfortunately if it is beyond the common faults like the handbrake microswitch or a physically damaged part then is will take more diagnosis. Sorry.

Thanks for the help Loren, you guys are all great! I will definitely follow up with what I find, I will probably end up taking it to the dealership sooner or later.

With big thanks,

Avi

On 5/6/2017 at 9:12 PM, Loren said:

Unfortunately if it is beyond the common faults like the handbrake microswitch or a physically damaged part then is will take more diagnosis. Sorry.

Hey Loren,

Would you happen to have a wiring diagram for the convertible top system?

Thanks,

Avi

Hey All!

Great news, I bought a relay and it fixed my problem. Windows drop and convertible top works! I didn't think it was the relay but I got a good deal on a used one and I'm so happy it worked! Thank you all so much for your all of your help, couldn't have made it through this without you guys! Have a great weekend.

With much thanks and gratitude,

Avi