Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 2005 997, the 1-2 shift has been notchy over my 2 years of ownership.  It is not terrible, but not as smooth as a previous 993, 996, and clearly not in the zip code with an older Audi S4.  I could live with it, but I would like it to shift better.

I have researched this on several of the enthusiast’s forums and found a lot of chatter but little in the way of guidance for seriously improving the situation.  The most common “fixes” include some combination of Mobilube PTX, stiffer engine mounts, and/or stiffer transmission mounts.  There seems to be a huge debate as to actual ability to adjust the linkage.  Some say that is the way to go and others have said there is no linkage adjustment.

So, I am hoping that a technical forum can give some solid direction on how to approach this issue.  Any and all thoughts are welcome.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HalM said:

My 2005 997, the 1-2 shift has been notchy over my 2 years of ownership.  It is not terrible, but not as smooth as a previous 993, 996, and clearly not in the zip code with an older Audi S4.  I could live with it, but I would like it to shift better.

I have researched this on several of the enthusiast’s forums and found a lot of chatter but little in the way of guidance for seriously improving the situation.  The most common “fixes” include some combination of Mobilube PTX, stiffer engine mounts, and/or stiffer transmission mounts.  There seems to be a huge debate as to actual ability to adjust the linkage.  Some say that is the way to go and others have said there is no linkage adjustment.

So, I am hoping that a technical forum can give some solid direction on how to approach this issue.  Any and all thoughts are welcome.

First thing I would check is to see if the gearbox has the correct factory lube in it.  If that is unknown, I would drain it and refill it with the factory stuff  You would be surprised how many shifting issues are solved by doing this.

• Moderators

Possibly a shifter cable wear/misalignment issue.  If the car has the factory shifter, you can get a cheap (`$10) alignment tool from Porsche that holds the shifter in the correct position while you adjust the cables to match:

997%20shift%20alignment%20tool%20987%20b

If that does not do it, you are into checking the gear box internals

I too have a less-than-smooth 1-2 shift. Not very bad but noticeable compared to the other transitions. I have changed the oil and used PTX. I have Function First inserts for the tranny and semi-solid motor mounts. All the changes were done separately; none of them really benefited the 1-2 transition.

What was the part number of the tool you ordered? Have you found a source for the adjustment procedure?

Thank you for reporting back your results. I will too if I do the adjustment.

Update: I found the part number [shift adjustment tool #SKU9X7 Suncoast] and I just saw a post on the replacement procedure and it looks like the adjustment threads are in the center console rather than the transmission end so I probably won't be taking all that apart for a relatively trivial issue (or unless your results are really fantastic).

Edited by jchapura
updated with recent info.

JFP,

For anyone that comes across this thread on adjusting the shift cable, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to make sure the car is in NEUTRAL before you unhook the cables to start the adjustment.

Which brings me to my question.  With the console apart, can I test drive the car, or will it throw a lot of faults?

Thanks!

A quick summary for those that may be interested.  Taking apart the console will be tough the first time.  Should be pretty easy if you go back in for any reason.  I think total reassembly time took 20'ish minutes today.

My car now shifts better than at any time I have owned it.  Is it "snick-snick" smooth and quick?  No.  But it is close to my BMW 335i 6-speed and on par with a 996 I owned a few years ago.

Well worth the time and effort.

JFP, THANKS AGAIN!

• 1 month later...

I'm following this thread of a lot of enthusiasm. For years I have complained about the 1 to 2 Shift to the dealer especially when the car is cold. It is very difficult to engage 1st gear to the point where I have to come to a complete stop and disengage and reengage the shifter and clutch to get into 1st gear.

The dealer adjusting the cables a couple of times and refilled transmission. What is the likelihood that the dealer used this tool to perform the adjustment? It almost sounds like this has been the missing link the entire time. The vehicle does have the factory short shifter in it and when warmed up it shifts beautifully.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

I can only assume they did it correctly, as there is no way to know for sure.  As much as I hate to say it, yours sounds more like the wrong gear oil than a shifter adjustment.  A maladjusted shifter does not heal when it gets warm, but the wrong lubricant will tend to behave that way.

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

I can only assume they did it correctly, as there is no way to know for sure.  As much as I hate to say it, yours sounds more like the wrong gear oil than a shifter adjustment.  A maladjusted shifter does not heal when it gets warm, but the wrong lubricant will tend to behave that way.

Yup, good point. Which is the preferred brand and type of lubricant?

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, fastsvo said:

I can only assume and hope that is exactly what the dealership used. The vehicle only has 15k miles on it.

I'd ask them what they used; they would not be the first dealership we have seen use aftermarket gear oil.  Assume nothing, question everything.