Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Low oil pressure after oil change

• 1 month later...
Just had oil changed and oil pressure is now low. No problem prior to the service.

Have you upgraded the oil pressure bypass spring and piston with the upgraded parts?

I'd look there.

Also, what oil did you use? I read on Bob is the oil guy recently that Mobil changed the formulation of their A40 0W-40 oil..... And that the kinematic viscosity is now on the very low end of the 40 weight scale. Castrol is slightly heavier in kV.

I'd look at the piston, spring, and washer first. I recently bought all at pelican for $23 shipped. Bumped my oil pressure ever so slightly at hot idle, though mine wasn't low. Loren and Jeff have both listed the part numbers in other threads.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

It is both easy and inexpensive to connect  Harbor Freight Oil pressure Tester and get a reliable reading.It connects to the port used by the Oil Pressure Sender on the top of Bank1 so is easy to access.

I recently did this and the short version is that when I cut open the aftermarket spin-on oil filter ,the pleats had collapsed !

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Schnell Gelb said:

It is both easy and inexpensive to connect  Harbor Freight Oil pressure Tester and get a reliable reading.It connects to the port used by the Oil Pressure Sender on the top of Bank1 so is easy to access.

I recently did this and the short version is that when I cut open the aftermarket spin-on oil filter ,the pleats had collapsed !

Your finding brings up an important point. I have deeply researched oil filter filtration media for several years now, and have an LN adapter for my 996 waiting on my doorstep at my hosue as I type this.

The filter that LN recommends is a no-bypass design. This means that all oil is forced through the media, all the time. Even during cold starts (when the oil is thick) or during high RPM usage, when most oil filters with bypass valves will go into bypass for short periods of time. This makes the delta-P (pressure differential) across the face of the filter media a critical aspect of filter choice for owners of M96/M97 engines using the LN adapter.

It should be noted that the bypass mechanism built into the M96's plastic oil filter cartridge cap appears to be both weak and unreliable.

However, and back to filter media, it's important to use a filter that has fully synthetic filter media. This means a short list of filter lines from which to choose: Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Purolator BOSS, Amsoil EaO, Toyota TRD (made by RP), Napa Platinum (made by Wix, equivalent to Wix XP), and Wix XP.

Our cars require the vastly superior flow rate that fully synthetic media supports, along with the better filtration that this media also provides; this is because fully syn media filters in 3 dimensions (through the full depth of the media), while paper-based media is only able to filter on its surface.

Part numbers that have the matching 13/16-16 thread pitch and proper dimensions for our 996's according to my copious research:

Fram Ultra XG3675

Royal Purple 20-59

Purolator BOSS PBL25288

Wix XP 57202XP

All of the above have fully synthetic media and will flow at least 2-3 times as much oil as a clean paper/cellulose filter media would in the same size canister....with some supporting up to 5 times as much flow as paper when dirty. And, all references to flow are with paper media that has the same beta ratio (micron rating). This has been verified by Amsoil (which used to use Donaldson syn filter media), Fram, Champ Labs/Royal Purple, and Purolator; syn media flows and filters better.

The Fram Ultra can be had in 6-packs on eBay for around $35, is 99.9% @ 20microns as tested by Fram, uses a dual-layer fully synthetic media, and has a silicone anti drainback valve (another excellent feature that keeps oil in all the passages between the filter and the galleries, which the OEM setup does not have). I have a 6 pack being shipped to me currently and will advise once they arrive. This filter size is typically fitted to small block GM V8 motors which have an internal bypass valve arrangement inside the engine block.

Eliminating the bypass valve altogether is not a bad thing, but caution must be taken to avoid what Schnell experienced...even with very high quality paper media or hybrid media filters (usually cellulose with fiberglass applied on top of it).

I have also purchased N52 and N50 neodymium bar magnets for pennies per magnet (the same magnets used inside of a FilterMag), which I'm going to arrange on the outside of each filter prior to install.

So, in sum, I feel it important to note that it is wise to avoid any std paper media filter (or even hybrids like the Purolator PureOne or Mobil-1 filters) in favor of filters that have fully synthetic media.

Edited by BufordTJustice

Interesting point about the flow capacity being 2-3 times greater than conventional filters. It can do no harm  ..? Unless they just double the pore diameter !

The recommendation on the LN site is:

" We use the Napa Gold 1042 or Platinum 1042 " .

It would be interesting to read what LN say about the flow capacity issue. I'm not suggesting there is a problem with LN's recommendation but the incremental cost is small, so why not ? Perhaps LN would say that if a paper-element filter collapses because the oil was too viscous, no higher-flow filter would behave differently. The problems are different. If the problem was dirty oil and half the pores in either filter were blocked - yes, the highr flow filter has an advantage.

Moral of the speculation- use the correct grade of oil w/o snake oil additives ?

http://lnengineering.com/products/other-watercooled-stuff/spin-on-oil-filter-adapter-for-my97-08-boxster-cayman-911.html

Some smart people also mention the synthetic media upgrade here years ago (Napa/Wix 51042XP):

Here is a cross reference site for the geeks:

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/

http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/InterchangeMultiSearch.aspx?q=51042XP&o=me

Edited by Schnell Gelb
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Schnell Gelb said:

Interesting point about the flow capacity being 2-3 times greater than conventional filters. It can do no harm  ..?

The recommendation on the LN site is:

" We use the Napa Gold 1042 or Platinum 1042 " .

It would be interesting to read what LN say about the flow capacity issue. I'm not suggesting there is a problem with LN's recommendation but the incremental cost is small, so why not ? Perhaps LN would say that if a paper-element filter collapses because the oil was too viscous, no higher-flow filter would behave differently. The problems are different. If the problem was dirty oil and half the pores in either filter were blocked - yes, the highr flow filter has an advantage.

Morl of the speculation- use the correct grade of oil w/o snake oil additives ?

http://lnengineering.com/products/other-watercooled-stuff/spin-on-oil-filter-adapter-for-my97-08-boxster-cayman-911.html

Some smart people also mention the synthetic media upgrade here years ago (Napa/Wix 51042XP):

Here is a cross reference site for the geeks:

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/

It's a good point and I cannot find any comments by LN on the subject. There is plenty of info, however, by engineers at Fram/Champ Labs/Amsoil over on bob is the oil guy in reference to filter media flow rates and the consensus is clear; syn media is able to flow significantly more oil than cellulose media at the same beta ratio (say, 25 microns).

So, as you said, it cannot hurt. Especially when the 6 pack of XG3675 is $30 shipped to one's door via eBay. If the cost were exhorbitant, I would say it's gilding the lily. But it's a minor cost that offers major insurance.

I think Donaldson has some whitepapers on the subject (they invented the first fully synthetic filtration media for big rigs).

EDIT: Here is a link to a Donaldson Synteq media paper:

http://asia.donaldson.com/en/ih/support/datalibrary/050552.pdf

Some may say that no filter would behave any differently, but that would be mildly difficult to believe after one considers a 300+% increase in flow rate when clean, and up a 500% increase in flow rate when moderately loaded with contaminants. Fram Ultras are at walmart for $9. I know that the Napa 1042 Gold is barely any cheaper.

Edited by BufordTJustice

Here is a photo of the collapsed filter pleats on a Napa 1042
IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.ea2cdf9fe8c0f4e2fa17e6b98acb2cfb.JPG

That has a metal center tube, and the media isn't even dark yet, so it can't be very dirty at all.

Cellulose media. Just the way it is.

But, here's the test fit of the Fram ultra XG3675 on the LN Engineering adapter:

b160c9a97b9b60c9caaef19964c80506.jpg1d80fa13b6f6004fd6cc4338c216d83e.jpg00c58c35ea79a7a3ad63218f767291a4.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Ahsai said:

Why it collapsed?

I described the whole story in another Thread. The short version is the owner put Bardahl No Smoke and some other snake oil in his oil to 'fix' a  red 'Low Oil Pressure" Warning Light.

I did an oil pressure test and dropped the filter and pan. Cut the filter & voila. Correct oil+new filter fixed it !

• Upvote 1