Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must login to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Gnochi

996.2 DRL Setup

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of designing a DRL setup for my 996.2 (which is a topic I recognize has been done to death). That said, I'm not a fan of LED light bars, and while I don't mind halos, this is a Porsche, not a BMW. Therefore, I'm taking inspiration from the Four Point Principle.

I'm using 8x total Luxeon Star 10mm square LED blocks, neutral white, with 10mm square Carclo 10415 elliptical-pattern lenses, and a 350mA FlexBlock on each side. DRLs should be on the order of 400 lumen per side and 1500Cd at the center, so I'll be using slightly lower currents than the LEDs are made for. As soon as I get dimensions 1,2,3 in the attached image, or even better a damaged 996.2 headlight unit, I'll figure out heat sinking, but it will be relatively unimportant at 4W per side, 150C maximum junction temperature, and 100F approximate steady state temperature insight the HID housing (per Pedro's Garage).

As far as wiring goes, here are my requirements:

• DRLs turn on with the engine
  • DRLs turn off with the low beams
  • The low beams can be turned on whether the engine is on or not.

There are several ways to do this, of course, and I think I've picked the easiest:

• 1x Bosch relay with both NC and NO pins, connecting to 1x 928-610-511-00 relay carrier added to an open spot in the relay block
  • Pin 30 connects to a fuse tap at A6 - Seat heater (switched on with ignition)
  • Pin 85 connects to any conveniently-located bolt to chassis, possibly in the fuse box. TBD.
  • Pin 86 connects to a fuse tap at A9 - Low Beam Right (switched on with headlights)
  • Pin 87a is wired to the left and right FlexBlocks in parallel.
  • Pin 87 is not necessary

The relays I have take about 150mA to switch, which *shouldn't* noticeably affect the low beams, but does put additional stress on the headlight switch. If that causes problems I might need to do the following instead:

• 2x Bosch relays with NC/NO pins
  • Pin 30-1 connects to A6
  • Pin 30-2 connects to D5 - Cigar lighter (always on)
  • 85-1 splices into 85-2, connected to chassis ground
  • 86-1 splices into 86-2, interrupting the YE/WH wire running from the light selector stalk before it splits to go to A9/A10/Canada DRL block
  • 87A-1 is wired to left and right FlexBlocks as above
  • 87-2 is wired to the other side of the YE/WH split

Thoughts? Anyone have input on headlight switch reliability or wiring plans?

996_headlight_dims.PNG

Edited by Gnochi
Edited phrasing for clarity

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Posted (edited)

Good news: the damaged headlight module arrived this past week and I was able to disassemble it today. For some reason about half of the pictures I took couldn't attach here, so I made an album on imgur.

Bad news: the rainbow-shaped piece that looked pretty flat is bowed towards the vehicle rear, and will be much harder to replace than I had hoped. I'd like to control the LED position and orientation, so I'll likely end up with a generally more complicated part, instead of starting with a flat piece of sheet metal and bending it to fit (and adding some semblance of heat sinking).

I also have the option of making a relatively flat piece of sheet metal, mounting the LEDs to it, and drilling a few holes in said rainbow that can fit a 10x10mm square led module + lens. Aesthetically that doesn't interest me, though.

Finally, I'm exploring a few options on where to put the driver module and how to make the electrical connection in the body. It looks like there *might* be a pin free in the floating electrical connector between the headlight units and the body.

@Loren do you by any chance have a 2003 bixenon and halogen wiring diagram? Also, do you happen to know the part numbers for the crimped pin and socket in the headlight- and body-side electrical connection?

Edited by Gnochi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dyerhaus
      Need some help finding a part number, and for the matter, the name of the part! The picture just shows the passengers side of a piece that surrounds the dashboard (I think its all one part, anyway). It's between the windshield and the dash. Does anyone know what this part is called and what the part number may be? This is for 2001 996 Carrera.

• By EleCTriCT
      Hey Everyone,

1999 996 C2 Cab
      Does anyone have a picture or diagram for installing a new clam shell motor - comes with an update kit with new mount bracket etc.

Looks like the old piece needs to cut off and the new section fitted and bolted/welded.

Cheers.
    • By emperorphobos
      So, in the process of getting ready for the summer at NE, I tried two months ago to open my convertible (C4-99). The convertible stuck at 2/3 and didn't go back. I got the car to my indie, stayed there for two weeks and got it back un-repaired. He told me that he tried everything, did recalibration and still, he couldn't fix it. I gone to the dealership too, paid $540 for diagnosis and they told me that they have to replace latch and/or module and since I'm loosing some oil from the cylinders, both cylinders. They quoted me $5400. I hugged them and left :)

Now, the last 2 weeks:
      Durametric comes up with error 16 (unknown error - latest version of the software)
      In the beginning, when I tried to calibrate with durametric, it was pulling the top back and then it was timing out but without any warning light on the dash. After this was done the only way to close the convertible was manual. This happened more than 10 times during my tries. Now, durametric doesn't do anything at all, I just get the 'working' icon and nothing happens.
      I follow the workshop manual and I changed the following with no changes on behavior:
      Module
      Top latch

Still nothing. To add on this, when it stops I hear a 'click-click' sound from the back. The sound is from the module itself, but as I said, I replaced the module and nothing changed.
      The clam shell opens and closes/locks fine. I don't get a warning light when I'm closing the convertible. I'm getting a warning light only when it stuck. All windows are going up and down.
      The hydraulic oil is always full. 
      Any ideas or suggestions are strongly appreciated.
    • By mnickson
      This article describes with photos how to replace a wheel bearing using the SIR Tools B90-P2 tool.  There are no other "step by step" articles on any forums, so this article complements the others you find on the Internet to show how exactly to do it with this particular tool.

Step 1. Remove the wheel carrier from the car.  This photo shows where this article starts, it is specific to removing the bearing, not removing the wheel carrier.

Step 2.

Remove the wheel hub from the carrier, these three photos show how to put the tool in place.  Basically, you draw the wheel hub out of the inner bearing race, it comes out easily.

Step 3.

Remove the bearing from the wheel carrier.  Heat the aluminum wheel carrier to 100 degrees Celsius, do it evenly, it takes about 3 minutes, measure the temperature with an infrared thermometer.  Note, there are other articles on the Internet which use the wrong standard for temperature (they incorrectly say Fahrenheit, it should be Celsius as per the Porsche Workshop Manual).  Your basically drawing the bearing out, into the large cylinder.  You can use the wheel hub as a support and conveniently turn the bolts with your 24mm and 27mm spanners.

Step 4.

Insert the new bearing into the wheel carrier.  Prior to doing this, clean the bore of the wheel carrier with polishing cloth (your just cleaning it, not removing any aluminum).  Put the new bearing in your kitchen freezer overnight prior to inserting it.  This is an alternate approach to Porsche Workshop Manual which has you heat up the wheel carrier to 100 degrees Celsius. The freezer method is easier on your hands since you don't have to touch hot metal (if you do use the heating method instead of the cooling method, wear work gloves as usual).  The tools in this step apply force on the outer part of the bearing and the aluminum casting.  The photo shows the bearing half way in.

Step 5.

Insert the wheel hub into the bearing.  Remember to put the splash shield in place prior to actually installing the wheel hub into the bearing.  Notice how the tools thrust bearing which is silver in the second photo below is used with the smaller circular die.  Basically you draw the hub into the bearing with force being applied between the inner race of the bearing and the cast iron wheel hub.

Step 6.

Re-install the newly restored wheel carrier into the car (this is not covered by this article since there are many others on the internet).

Step 7. 

Enjoy your car - Mark Nickson, Member of SAE, PCA, and MBCA for over 30 years.

• By Steve Mongrain
      Hi Guys,

Aircraft engine Tech, currently replacing the clutch on my AutoX 1999 996 C2, first time tackling a clutch/IMS job.

While the clutch & Pressure plate are worn out, I inspected the flywheel, based on Porsche's TSB 911 8/02 1360, & found it to be a bit worn, but serviceable. Common knowledge suggest to replace the flywheel every second clutch change or every 100K miles.

Considering the high price of the flywheel, is it Worth it to replace it right now or I can expect it to last until the next clutch change?