Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reverse gear and first gear.

I have the Carerra 4s Cab. Has anyone noticed that it's very easy to go into reverse when you think you are going into first gear? This has happened to me several times at red lights. 

Not that big of a deal, just wondering if this is common. Thanks. 

KeithBeniot,

I have a 2000 Carerra 4 with the six-speed.

To prevent going into Reverse when I want First gear, I've recognized that for me & my seating position Reverse is when the gear shifter knob looks to be in front of the left screen of the HVAC control. First gear is when the R on the gear shifter knob lines up with the frame between the left & right screen.

Just my two-cents.

MNC-I

check the lock out spring mechanism in the shifter linkage.  Could be a problem, or a broken spring or washer.

this was a problem way back with the early chevy camaro linkage.  lock-out to reverse was known to fail.  Never heard of this in a Porsche.

in the early 911's, as I recall, reverse gear was to the left and up.  1st gear was to the left and down.  I think I have that correct.  there was simply no need to use 1st gear after getting out onto the track.  Ergo, the basic H pattern was gears 2, 3, 4, 5.  Porsche changed to the traditional H, with 5th up to the far right, sometime around 1977, just before the SC's came out.  again, as I recall

the primary issue with the 996 shifter is that it's easy to miss the shift from 2nd to 3rd.  Porsche is not a speed shifter car, like some others.

the shift needs to be smooth, allowing the shifter to easily and distinctly pass through neutral on the way up to 3rd.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The shifter  neutrally spring loaded to the 3-4 gate..very light spring pressure is overcome to move to the 1-2 gate, very stiff spring pressure is overcome to move to the R gate, light spring pressure is overcome to move to the 5-6 gate.The three different spring pressures give a different "feel" to the gates to allow identifying which gate your going into.The springs are in the trans case. Could be a broken/stuck/missing spring causing you to not be able to differentiate between the gates.

Edited by Porschetech3
  • Upvote 1

On 4/4/2017 at 10:07 AM, Porschetech3 said:

The shifter  neutrally spring loaded to the 3-4 gate..very light spring pressure is overcome to move to the 1-2 gate, very stiff spring pressure is overcome to move to the R gate, light spring pressure is overcome to move to the 5-6 gate.The three different spring pressures give a different "feel" to the gates to allow identifying which gate your going into.The springs are in the trans case. Could be a broken/stuck/missing spring causing you to not be able to differentiate between the gates.

agreed.