Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What to do with bad engines?

I tried a search, but nothing popped up, although it must have been asked answered before.  I have a 2001 3.4 AND a 2002 3.6 engine that have both seen better days.  The 3.4 suffered an IMS failure, and the 3.6 has a cracked head. Both out of 996.

!.  What are the values of the engines as they sit?

2.  What can one do with the engines, other than scrap value?  What type of folks would have interest in them?

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

The value of the engines would be with a shop that rebuilds them, depending upon condition, etc.  You can try contacting Jake Raby at FlatSix Innovations down in Cleveland GA 706.865.1963    Jake is one of the leading engine builders and buys dead engines for cores.

There is an "oil in the coolant" 1999 3.4 on eBay that I was looking at.  They are asking $2250 or best offer, with shipping included.  I was thinking of buying it as a spare engine for my 1999 996.  It is one I would rebuild at my leisure.  I have some experience building engines and I think I can handle everything except the machining. I live less than an hour and a half from FlatSix Innovations in Cleveland Georgia, if I hit a wall.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ddavidoff said:

I thought about doing this as well, but would like the engine numbers to match. Maybe that's crazy and no one would care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no "matching" engine numbers per se on these cars,  The engine numbers tell you the type and year of production, but are not matched to a chassis.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:29 PM, TNT79Bronco said:

I tried a search, but nothing popped up, although it must have been asked answered before.  I have a 2001 3.4 AND a 2002 3.6 engine that have both seen better days.  The 3.4 suffered an IMS failure, and the 3.6 has a cracked head. Both out of 996.

!.  What are the values of the engines as they sit?

2.  What can one do with the engines, other than scrap value?  What type of folks would have interest in them?

Anyone with a 996 should be interested in a spare engine. If you never use it , it will just look nice sitting on the stand in the corner. And it would be a great accessory if you decided to sell the car. Who would not want a spare engine with your purchase?

Then if the Porsche Gods strike you with a lightning bolt, you could be back up and running next day !! And not have to go through Porsche withdrawals while you repair your engine, you could take your time.

All kidding aside , a rebuilt engine sitting on stand would be a nice thing to have, but there are engines sitting in warehouses that can be had in a day or two. And I would really be skeptical of a DIY rebuild with my purchase knowing all the intricacies of these engines.( Although I have seen a few DIY rebuild threads on here that I would defiantly trust !!)

Edited by Porschetech3

Porschetech3 is wise to be leery of diy rebuilds. Particularly very recently rebuilt, no miles.I just did one. I made only 1 (so far) mistake. But it was potentially mortal.I lost one tiny spring.I did not realize it had dropped out. Why? Because there is nothing in the FSM that shows the bowels of a Variocam Actuator. Now Renntech has that photo and a detail write up on all the tests to identify that specific fault. In the FSM the same diagnosis tells you to buy a $1000 Actuator to fix it. And indeed ,that would fix the problem and you may never realize all you needed was a little spring. That alone is worth contributing to Renntech for ? Even better, when I get Porschetech3's spring ,I'll try to spec and source it so any Renntech Contributing Member can buy a replacement for pennies.

Spare M96 engines - per the O.P. - some of us have a problem with collecting M96 engines and should confess ?

I have a spare 6 speed gearbox and have been hunting for another rebuildable 3.2 S for several years.  Some of us have several stashed in our basement as an investment.....you know who you are  :-).