Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I plan to replace the RMS and IMSB on my 2003, Carrera, Coupe, 3.6, Tiptronic.  I have read about the MB version of the Tiptronic requiring the removal of the trans/engine together while the ZF can be removed separately.  Is this true and how can I determine which one that I have?  I crawled underneath and could not see an I.D. tag.  So far I have found conflicting information regarding the trans. in this car.

• 4 months later...

Hi-sorry for hijacking. I am trying to find information on how to remove the 02  C4 Tiptronic drive train. Seems very little documented. Specifically I am puzzled how to remove the upper M12 bolts, which holds the Aluminum cross-bar on the passenger and drivers sides (Note:  this is the bar right under the engine/Trans interface - Attaching picture of the problematic bolt pass-side) . I can losen the bolts , but I cannot pull them out (and  cross-bar stuck on car in turn) as the Trans output shaft flanges ends are on the way. From my C2/Man the removal of this bar and post  was easy. On the C4/Tip the engine removal strategy seems completely different. Any suggestions how to remove the cross-bar on the latter ? My thoughts go towards that I would have to remove the output shafts L+R to access , but I am not really convinced that this can be the (only) way. Thanks in advance. 

1.png

• Moderators

Are you supporting the weight of the trans with a transmission jack while trying to remove these bolts?  Both the engine and transmission need to be supported individually during this process, using a support bar for the engine and a trans jack for the gear box.  That sway bar also needs to be out of the way as well.

If you have access to the 996 Bentley manual, the process is outlined in section 37-16.

Those two bolts are captured so they can only be loosen and not removed. The middle support member just drops straight down (may need to pry a bit). It has two u channels (and not holes) where it's clamped down by those two bolts.

2 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

If you have access to the 996 Bentley manual, the process is outlined in section 37-16.

Thanks - the problem with bentley & co. is the lack of an instant  pdf download somewhere - whether  payed or free. It must be available when needed, as by the time the hardcopy would be in  - an alternative solution to a problem is likely to be found....   Your safety tips are certainly always worth noting. This is - of course # 1 concern in these DIY endeavors, and what takes most of the extra time you need to finish the project. It is my 3rd engine drop out and the 2nd of a 911. Back to my bolt issue -  thanks to an elver-fan in the EU, having posted a full copy of a service manual on the web (I will not re-distibute here, ; but since I always docu all details for myself, I will try to post my process when time permits) , I see the solution for my problem. The upper hole of the Cross Member (at least for Turbo/GT2 and it looks also any 4wd / and or automatic) is  topologically not even a hole. It is a half-oval shaped grove at best, and where losen the bolt will just suffice to proceed with bar removal. 

1 hour ago, Ahsai said:

Those two bolts are captured so they can only be loosen and not removed. The middle support member just drops straight down (may need to pry a bit). It has two u channels (and not holes) where it's clamped down by those two bolts.

Thanks Ahsai-makes total sense - especially after having found a schematic of the upper cross member. 

2.png