Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery Advice for 1999 996 Cab 6spd

Any thoughts. Duracell AGM batteries with 760 CCA at Sams appears to be well priced but Dang !!! It's @ 20 bucks cheaper than Advanced or Autozone which lists it @ $170.00+. Can I shop for a battery with 730 CCA instead without any potential risk? The battery that went out on me (although not completely out) was a Duralast Gold with 760 CCA. I'm just trying to save some here but still be smart about what I place into my ride.

Hey Loren. Can I take this a step further? Would you ever recommend a battery with 680 cold cranking amps or would that be taking it a bit too far ? (yes I'm a penny pincher but not to the point of placing my ride in an unreasonably risky condition. I've always valued your input. What would be your "cutoff point" as far as cold cranking amps is concerned. I live near Charlotte, NC which experiences "relatively cold winters" for the south.

• Admin

I would say that depends on your weather there. If you get winters where it is get very cold you want all the cold cranking power you can get that turn the engine over with 0W-40 oil and temperatures in the low teens.

If it rarely gets that cold there then you can likely go with the lower end battery. (IMHO of course)

Check battery prices and performance at places like; WalMart, Pep Boys, Sears. You don't necessary need a higher priced AGM battery (all the new Porsches use 'em, though). Just make sure it has the proper vent tube kit, and don't reverse the polarity upon re-install.

Just thought to throw something in here.  There are 2 factors to consider when choosing a battery.  Cold cranking amps and reserve capacity.  Usually the more CCA's the more reserve capacity.  CCA applies when it is cold and you need the amps to start.  Reserve capacity is what you need to keep the electrical system up to par with load on the system.  Think of it this way, the reserve capacity helps balance the electrical load.  Say you get an inexpensive battery without much reserve, then you are in stop and go traffic, AC on high, both radiator fans running at high speed, lights on, windshield wipers running, maybe even the engine compartment fan starts running, radio on and so on, you get it, the alternator is going to barely supply all the amperage draw and the battery helps balance out the demand.  So don't go cheap on your battery.  Get the best battery you can afford.  And get an AGM battery.  Well worth it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this one (Bosch Platinum Series AGM (H7/L4/94R) and I'm very happy with it. I've had it more than a year. I use my car mainly on the weekends and I don't have it on a battery maintainer. One of the benefits of AGM batteries is that they are less prone to failure due to lack of use than traditional batteries.   https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838845/00871

• Upvote 1

AGM batteries also accept current more easily when being charged than std lead acid batteries.

I have used them in many vehicles, including custom installations of large arrays. Despite their larger capacity, AGM batteries get to full charge faster than lead acid batteries of lesser reserve capacity, using the exact same chargers.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

My wallet dictated that I purchase the traditional battery. One good thing was that Advanced Auto was willing to match SAM's price. The battery is an Autocraft Gold G48 with 730 CCA. I plan to upgrade to an AGM first chance I get. The store manager told me that I had a certain amount of time whereby I could "upgrade". I want to have the same type go back into the car that came out of it Y'know ?