Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag light on, fault code 20 driver ignition

I have the Airbag light on in my Porsche Boxster 986 3.2S, 2002. When checking for fault codes with an Autel code reader/airbag I get Fault code 20, Driver Ignition. Does anyone know specifically what fault code 20 is?

Edited by MahadevDave

• Admin

:welcomeani:

Fault code 20 -- Status lead, signal converter -- Short to ground

1. Pull plug I off the alarm system control module.
2. Pull off the plug on the signal converter for the transponder.
3. Ohmmeter at alarm system control module plug 1 pin 12 and ground,
Display:  Infinite ohms
If display < 5 ohms check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

• Upvote 1

As the Airbag warning light is on and the only fault I can see on my Autel MaxiDiag Elite is for the airbag i've assumed that must be where the problem lies? It shows Error 20, Ignition Circuit, Driver?
Am I completely wrong in my assumption?
This is my first Boxster, so new to the problems that may occur.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 4:26 PM, Loren said:

If the 3rd party scanner is correct with a fault code 20 then the explanation I gave you is correct. That information comes from my factory 2002 Porsche Boxster Service manual.

I checked the Service Manual and in section 60, Alarm systems there is a fault code 20 which is as you have quoted, however if you look under Airbag Diagnosis section 69, Test Point 1, there is a fault 20 'Ignition Circuit Driver' which relates to the airbag system within the Steering wheel. This is the one I referred to in my initial posting. Having checked the wiring and the connector it appears it could be the clock spring behind the steering wheel or the triggering unit? Does anyone have any experience with these 2 issues. Any help would be gratefully received.

Good detective work Dave !

If you do decide to remove the steering wheel to investigate - there is an upgrade to the 4 rubber bushings that support the wheel and prevent the horn from sounding intermittently.It uses 4 ,size 31 'O' rings. There is a diy for this on You Tube. Of course you would need to remove the negative cable from the battery. On my car that does not make the alarm go off. It may be a good idea to connect a 'saver' 9v battery to the power socket ?

You may also find this useful- at your own risk !!

Edited by Schnell Gelb

On 6/1/2017 at 5:21 PM, Schnell Gelb said:

Good detective work Dave !

If you do decide to remove the steering wheel to investigate - there is an upgrade to the 4 rubber bushings that support the wheel and prevent the horn from sounding intermittently.It uses 4 ,size 31 'O' rings. There is a diy for this on You Tube. Of course you would need to remove the negative cable from the battery. On my car that does not make the alarm go off. It may be a good idea to connect a 'saver' 9v battery to the power socket ?

You may also find this useful- at your own risk !!

Hi Schnell, thanks for your response. Sadly your option as demonstrated in the video can't be done as the cluster on my car are all illuminated by LEDs and because of their 'long life' and being attached to the main circuit board, cannot be removed or rerouted, at least not by me!
Back to the airbag problem, as the airbag in the steering wheel appears to be electrically connected through the clock spring (I disconnected it and got Fault 21, Drivers airbag ignition circuit and it cleared when reconnected and erased) indicates to me there is not a break in the steering wheel system, Which leaves the triggering unit as number 1 suspect.
Where is this unit located? Under passenger seat?
I also noted that there is no wire from the passenger seat belt buckle to the connectors under the seat as seen on drivers seat, but there are passenger door and dashboard airbags? Is this normal? How does the airbag system 'know' there is someone in this seat?
There is also a 2 wire brown plug under the seat which I assume is used when a baby seat is installed?
I have had no response to fixing fault 20 'ignition circuit, driver', surely someone else has some experience of this fault?