Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dual Row IMS bearing installation question

I have watched many videos about installing a single row IMS bearing and understand the big circlip goes in last when the bearing is fully seated. Pretty clear.

What is the story for my double row bearing?  The bearing came out with the skinny internal retainer ring attached to it.  I assume I do not reuse the old retainer ring with the LN Engineering kit (it will arrive tomorrow via Fed Ex).  Does the replacement bearing with retainer ring just slip in and seat itself when you tap the bearing in place or is there a trick to it?  Does the retainer ring get installed inside the shaft first and the bearing tapped into place later?  

Thanks for any insight you can share.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, johnmh said:

I have watched many videos about installing a single rowIMS bearing and understand the big circlip goes in last when the bearing is fully seated. Pretty clear.

What is the story for my double row bearing?  The bearing came out with the skinny internal retainer ring attached to it.  I assume I do not reuse the old retainer ring with the LN Engineering kit (it will arrive tomorrow via Fed Ex).  Does the replacement bearing with retainer ring just slip in and seat itself when you tap the bearing in place or is there a trick to it?  Does the retainer ring get installed inside the shaft first and the bearing tapped into place later?  

Thanks for any insight you can share.

Easy one to answer:  the LN replacement for the IMS will come with a large Spiro lock, which is installed after the new bearing goes in to retain it.  If you check LN's website, you will see the Spiro lock in the photos  Dual row IMS kit

Just an FYI...The spirolock can be a challenge to install, don't get frustrated/give up - just when you think "how the *&$@$#%$ does this thing go in"... it will go in :biggrin: It's a little surprising that you didn't take the original one out before you pulled the bearing though...It must have made it somewhat difficult...The vario-cam pads are ridiculously easy/quick to do. I think the most important/time consuming  part of dealing with them is getting all the mating surfaces of the heads and cam covers properly cleaned/prep'd/sealed. Also make sure you get the cams properly timed once you get everything put back together. Good Luck

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, dporto said:

Just an FYI...The spirolock can be a challenge to install, don't get frustrated/give up - just when you think "how the *&$@$#%$ does this thing go in"... it will go in :biggrin: It's a little surprising that you didn't take the original one out before you pulled the bearing though...It must have made it somewhat difficult...The vario-cam pads are ridiculously easy/quick to do. I think the most important/time consuming  part of dealing with them is getting all the mating surfaces of the heads and cam covers properly cleaned/prep'd/sealed. Also make sure you get the cams properly timed once you get everything put back together. Good Luck

On the dual row bearings, the original retainer is a wire which is actually under the outer race, and cannot even be seen during extraction.  You simply pull on the bearing hard enough to break it, then remove the bearing.

imsearlydoublebearing.jpeg

Ah...That makes so much more sense. Mine already had a LN Classic dual row bearing installed and hence the spiro-lock... I can't imagine trying to pull the bearing past the spiro-lock...:cursing:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...