Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PDK slipping

Dennis C

I've begun to notice that my PDK appears to slip or hesitate sometimes, most notably when I accelerate from a standstill. The engine revs, but it takes a second to engage and get moving. Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a TSB, or perhaps a software update for PDK that could help with this issue?  The car is a 2014 TTS. 

• Admin

I do not see a TSB for that.

The PDK just like many other sub-systems with controls has diagnostics and I would suggest getting someone with a PIWIS or at least Durametric look for any transmission fault codes. The report any faults back here.

• 2 weeks later...

My Turbo S was serviced last week at my local dealer for this issue. According to the dealer, there are no faults in my system.  There are no TSBs, as mentioned above. The behavior my car exhibits is normal. The dealer said that this is not an uncommon concern. PDK is technically an automated manual transmission, as opposed to an automatic transmission with a torque converter. As a result, there will always be a little bit of slip as the clutches engage from a dead stop. He did say that the transmission learns and adapts to the driving style of the driver, so maybe I've babied the car a little too much. I may try starting quickly for a few weeks and see if anything changes.

• 2 years later...

Yes Dennis, my car will do the same thing unless you put it in launch control. There is always a slight hesitation from a dead stop. Unfortunately the car is geared so tall that driving it like a 911 should be driven will put you in jail. But, never leave the car in default mode. As soon as you start up put in sport mode or drive it manually. The default mode is silliness to keep the mileage numbers down and runs the engine way below where it is happy. 

What I have learned with my TT S is that there is such a thing as a car being too powerful. In many ways my 2006 manual C4S is more fun to drive. I am considering going for a 992 GTS if it comes with a manual. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

As it is simply an electronically clutched manual transmission, although already slipping they do take a moment to finish engaging. You can run the transmission relearn function and it will remeasure and calibrate the clutch plates. I’m using the Cobb Tuner and am running PDK maps that disables creep so the trans doesn’t engage at all until you touch the gas. It will roll with brake off but I’ll take that over the clutch always slipping (wearing) when at a stop.